Empire Farm Days 22

bitty

In the passenger seat on my way. I have not been there at this new location before. I hear it's lotta hills compared to the Roddman Lott farm 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bitty said:

In the passenger seat on my way. I have not been there at this new location before. I hear it's lotta hills compared to the Roddman Lott farm 

Pictures!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Pictures!!

Sorry I saw this on the way home. Didn't get many pictures 

It's not 2/3rds of the show than at the other location 

IMG_20220803_111553173_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220803_113210627_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220803_111515429_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220803_070156948.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I was going to go, but since I can't buy anything I figured why torment myself?

Walked out with a DeWalt greaser package deal 

This is the first year since 92 I will not be going but after going to the new location last year decided to take sometime off from it don't know who thought it would be a good idea to put a farm show on a side hill

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cride383 said:

This is the first year since 92 I will not be going but after going to the new location last year decided to take sometime off from it don't know who thought it would be a good idea to put a farm show on a side hill

Behind the scenes there were and are people who never wanted the show to stay in one location.  I know a few of the people involved with the workings of the show.  Some wanted to go back to continuous rotation of sites but some wanted to reduce cost by slowly building up infrastructure at the Seneca Falls site.  I could say more but I don't think this is the place to do so.  

• Thanks 1

Not going, too hot and busy chopping hay

I haven’t been in 15-20 years. Usually running low on vacation time from the off farm job by this time. I haven’t been in so long I don’t even think about it anymore.  I took some time off this week for a family reunion sat and could probably have swung out there if I thought to plan it but at this point I guess it’ll be at least another year or ten. 
 I kinda understand the desire to move it around but they had so much infrastructure at the Lott farm it seems stupid to leave. Just from an outside point of view 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

I haven’t been in 15-20 years. Usually running low on vacation time from the off farm job by this time. I haven’t been in so long I don’t even think about it anymore.  I took some time off this week for a family reunion sat and could probably have swung out there if I thought to plan it but at this point I guess it’ll be at least another year or ten. 
 I kinda understand the desire to move it around but they had so much infrastructure at the Lott farm it seems stupid to leave. Just from an outside point of view 

It kills the enthusiasm when you think about the prices of the new equipment.  I stopped caring about model numbers over 10 years ago.  Moving it around has a lot to do with pride of a farmer and the county he resides in.  Decades ago the show would go as far west as Rochester and as far southeast as the research farm at Cornell.  Decades ago as a kid I would hear farmers openly dreaming of being hosts for EFD.  I can say that one of the decisions that went into Seneca Falls back during the late 1980's was to have a site that was reasonably close to I-90.  One that had a few hundred acres available during the growing season.  Those requirements eliminated sites that may have been even closer to the NYS Thruway.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

Could someone tell me what the lower word IS?

IMG_20220803_070156948.jpg

Loud n heavy

Sorry the windshield had too many bugs and it messed with the auto focus 

Any more ?

I have never been to NYS farm ag days or whatever it's called.I been to Pennsylvania Ag Progress days at Penn State over the years .Few as a young 19 year old with a girlfriend and a later married with our children when they were toddlers.Then  I think a year or so as a exhibitor.The summers got full with dairying, crops ,4H ,fairs,horses and cattle so it never was high priority.It is all right but for me it was just a day out.I imagine shopping for new equipment;dairy,livestock needs and seeing the different orchards,alfalfa and other test plots it would be very beneficial.I also think you would really have to take some time to ask questions on the research and applications to really benefit but I think you would.I just don't see how rotating from farm to farm you could have the same research, field application of crops,practices from a permanent location versus a rotating one.I am not putting down NYS in any way just a observation. If Cornell is a research school why wouldn't they have it permanently there?

2 hours ago, Jacka said:

I have never been to NYS farm ag days or whatever it's called.I been to Pennsylvania Ag Progress days at Penn State over the years .Few as a young 19 year old with a girlfriend and a later married with our children when they were toddlers.Then  I think a year or so as a exhibitor.The summers got full with dairying, crops ,4H ,fairs,horses and cattle so it never was high priority.It is all right but for me it was just a day out.I imagine shopping for new equipment;dairy,livestock needs and seeing the different orchards,alfalfa and other test plots it would be very beneficial.I also think you would really have to take some time to ask questions on the research and applications to really benefit but I think you would.I just don't see how rotating from farm to farm you could have the same research, field application of crops,practices from a permanent location versus a rotating one.I am not putting down NYS in any way just a observation. If Cornell is a research school why wouldn't they have it permanently there?

It is run by Lee Publications who publish Country Folks, not by Cornell. Is really no research plots there or anything. I liked it at Lotts in Seneca Falls better. It was at the current site years ago and I thought access was much better at Lotts even though the current site is closer for me. 

3 hours ago, Jacka said:

The origins of EFD go back to sponsorship by the Empire (State) Potato Club with local businesses providing most of the support.  During the 1960's the show evolved from that bringing in more companies looking to display their products.  By the 1970's companies such as IH and JD depended on several dealers to adequately fill a display.  Very few dealers could afford to stock a significant portion of a display.  Very few 1466's were sold new around here and very few dealers would stick their neck out for a product they had a poor chance of selling plus paying interest to floor plan it.  If I had to guess most of the 1466 tractors that are left here in NY came in via jockey who got them used from the Midwest.  

4 hours ago, Jacka said:

I like to go every year as there is something to see that you are not aware is in existence or a new way of doing something 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 1:45 PM, bitty said:

Walked out with a DeWalt greaser package deal 

Was that from the Praxair display/tent?

Every year at Ag Progress Days, I check out the Dewalt specials, but never buy anything. Last year I finally went with a wad of cash in my pocket and then they didn't have anything on special that I was interested in buying.

I'm going to Ag Progress Days next Wednesday. It is always a day for me, and a day away from work, even if I'm not in the market or don't buy anything. I look forward got it every year.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 766 Man said:

The origins of EFD go back to sponsorship by the Empire (State) Potato Club with local businesses providing most of the support.  During the 1960's the show evolved from that bringing in more companies looking to display their products.  By the 1970's companies such as IH and JD depended on several dealers to adequately fill a display.  Very few dealers could afford to stock a significant portion of a display.  Very few 1466's were sold new around here and very few dealers would stick their neck out for a product they had a poor chance of selling plus paying interest to floor plan it.  If I had to guess most of the 1466 tractors that are left here in NY came in via jockey who got them used from the Midwest.  

Lots of 1466’s sold new around here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChrisNY said:

Lots of 1466’s sold new around here. 

I'm sure in some parts of the state they were.  Around here the 966 was the big seller and where I went to college the first two years a 966 would have been considered a big tractor.  The big farms around here did not bother with 130 plus 2 wheel drives even if they had MFWD.  They opted for a 4 wheel drive whether it be a JD, IH, or Steiger.  There were a lot of jockey's bringing 1466's into NY during the 1980's and 1990's.  Finger Lakes Tractor was one of them.  

8 minutes ago, 806Jordy said:

Did anyone see the JCB Backhoe with the V8 Race engine, I took a video but cant get it to upload.

No I didn't but I heard it all the time we were there every few minutes it seemed 

29 minutes ago, CC_Ranger said:

Was that from the Praxair display/tent?

Every year at Ag Progress Days, I check out the Dewalt specials, but never buy anything. Last year I finally went with a wad of cash in my pocket and then they didn't have anything on special that I was interested in buying.

I'm going to Ag Progress Days next Wednesday. It is always a day for me, and a day away from work, even if I'm not in the market or don't buy anything. I look forward got it every year.

Not sure what booth it was. I think it will be Tuesday for me at ag progress days but I am not certain yet. I'll probably help for an hour at the chapter 17 sales trailer to relieve the usual volunteers