Transfer case 06 56 series

Hi all. I have a farmall 806 with front wheel assist.   The gears in the transfer case are the wrong ratio. 
back tyres are pushing the front. 
tooth count I need is 37-18 on the spool gear and 36 on the sliding driven gear. Does anyone know where I might find gears or a complete transfer case?  Have tried Ed Leaman and loads of salvage yards but nothing so far. 

12.4-24 front rear are 16.9-38. 
woukd need 14.9-28 on the front which would be too large. Tractor is already nose high.  I’m guessing it left factory or dealer with the wrong gear set. Front ring and pinion are completely worn out on the back side of the teeth. (It had been run low on diff oil as well which didn’t help) 

Original owner said traction wasn’t as good as it should have been with mfd engaged. I’m not surprised. 

That's not something you're going to find a reliable source for, or any source for that matter. What few of these come up get gobbled up instantly in any condition at any price. The rest are on tractors and aren't coming off unless over someone's cold, dead body.

Just now, Matt Kirsch said:

That's not something you're going to find a reliable source for, or any source for that matter. What few of these come up get gobbled up instantly in any condition at any price. The rest are on tractors and aren't coming off unless over someone's cold, dead body.

Unfortunately I think you are right Matt.  I think my only option is to get a set made if I can’t find any. What started out as a cheap tractor isn’t going to be. 

My opinion,  pull the front ring gear out and never use the FWA again, looks only.

Theirs much, much better choices of FWA tractors if you need the FWA. If this is strictly a collector, or show piece, I'd do as I stated above and gut the ring gear out and enjoy the tractor shows.

• Like 1

Larger rear tires would make the problem worse. 
after spending a fair bit on the front axle I want the FWA to work. I did look into alternative ring and pinion ratios but can’t find anything close enough that will fit. 
I agree the FWA is not the best system out there. Turning circle is huge! 
I’m in the process of converting another 806 to FWA using a Dana axle and 3588 transfer case (gear cutting required to get correct ratio again or very large front tires)  

I probably should have bought a more modern tractor but I’m too far into them both now  

• Like 1

Do you have the Coleman or Elwood?

What ratio do you have now? The parts book calls for 37-18/36 for serials <23001 and 37-17/37 for serials 23001-up. The 37-18/36 is called out for the 706. The 37-17/37 gear set us called out for the 1206. This is for the Coleman axle which would have been "factory" on the 1206.

One tooth one way or the other is not going to take you from 12.4x24 to 14.9x28.

I went all the way up to the 66 series and the gear ratios are the same for the Coleman transfer case.

None of this applies to the Elwood. That is a direct gear straight with no reduction in the transfer case, 22 teeth, period, end of discussion, LOL.

I have 37-17 37. Coleman axle.   Tractor serial is 18257. Front diff ratio is correct so is rear end. With the driveshaft removed and tires at normal working pressure if I drive on a hard level surface the front diff pinion does 110 turns to the transfer cases100.  Don’t forget it’s actually two teeth difference as there is one less and one more as it were. I did a crude experiment with a pair of 14.9 -28 Firestone 23 degree tread and cobbled the wheels onto the front of the tractor. When driven in a straight line the diff pinion would now do 99.5 turns to the transfer cases 100 so a small lead in the front. Tractor looks way too high at the front with them on though. Feels even more clumsy than it already is. 

So you've got the right transfer case ratio per the parts book. 

Just for the record what is your front diff gearing? Of course CNH omitted the ring and pinion from the parts books this time around, but I'm sure the info is out there.

One tooth or two, it's still not the 10% difference you need to get the transfer case up to 111-112 per 100 on the diff.

I’ll have to check tooth numbers on the ring and pinion. The replacement I got from Ed was the same numbers as I took out.   He thinks IH got a lot of the numbers wrong with lead and lag. I managed to contact the guy in France who bought it new   He reckons the transfer gears have not been touched. Plenty of other bits had as nearly every gasket was homemade and plastered in rtv sealer. The gasket on the transfer case looked untouched. 

5 hours ago, JaredT said:

If you get the correct gears made, get a couple of sets made and sell them to recover some money. Nobody has them, you could have a niche market.

I have somebody who can make them but it’s having the spare cash to get more than one set made. 

I just don't think 37-18/36 is going to do the trick. It will reduce the lag, but it won't reduce it by as much as you need it to. 

Front end should lead by 3% as I understand it. Yours is lagging by 10%!

You've got all stock parts in that front end, for all intents and purposes, the same parts that came with every Coleman axle that got put on every 706 through the early 86 series tractors. That means every IH tractor that was equipped with the Coleman axle is WRONG.

As much as these axles have been abused over the years, they have a reputation of being fairly robust and reliable, and indispensable in the field. You would think if every IH tractor rolled off the line with the front end lagging by 10%, there would be a litany of shelled-out ring and pinion sets, or some other chronic problem. For sure they would be WORTHLESS in the field, and every one of them would have been removed and junked.

But no, everybody wants them now for their collections. 1205 with a factory Coleman axle, man that thing's worth a million dollars! If they all behaved like yours, you should not be able to give away a 1206 with a Coleman axle.

All this ranting to say, I think something weird is going on.

Are there different ring and pinion ratios that would fit in the REAR of an 806? You've asked the previous owner if anything was done to the front end. How about the rear?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I just don't think 37-18/36 is going to do the trick. It will reduce the lag, but it won't reduce it by as much as you need it to. 

Front end should lead by 3% as I understand it. Yours is lagging by 10%!

You've got all stock parts in that front end, for all intents and purposes, the same parts that came with every Coleman axle that got put on every 706 through the early 86 series tractors. That means every IH tractor that was equipped with the Coleman axle is WRONG.

As much as these axles have been abused over the years, they have a reputation of being fairly robust and reliable, and indispensable in the field. You would think if every IH tractor rolled off the line with the front end lagging by 10%, there would be a litany of shelled-out ring and pinion sets, or some other chronic problem. For sure they would be WORTHLESS in the field, and every one of them would have been removed and junked.

But no, everybody wants them now for their collections. 1205 with a factory Coleman axle, man that thing's worth a million dollars! If they all behaved like yours, you should not be able to give away a 1206 with a Coleman axle.

All this ranting to say, I think something weird is going on.

Are there different ring and pinion ratios that would fit in the REAR of an 806? You've asked the previous owner if anything was done to the front end. How about the rear?

I agree Matt. I can’t see how they would have sold many mfd tractors like that. Rear end is correct. I removed the top cover and checked ring and pinion. The previous owner is getting on in years. His memory may not be as good as he thinks.   I did wonder if the mfd was a dealer installed system and they put the wrong transfer case on. 
as you say changing the gear set would gain 8.9% so still a small lag. Possibly with different tyre combinations from years ago that could have been zero lead or lag. 
the worn out front diff was not entirely due to wrong ratio  a lack of oil was a major contribution to its demise. 
I have found some new 16.9-24 Goodyear’s on rims that would give me a small lead. I may end up doing that as it’s the cheapest option. 

On 8/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, England806 said:

I have 37-17 37. Coleman axle.   Tractor serial is 18257. Front diff ratio is correct so is rear end. With the driveshaft removed and tires at normal working pressure if I drive on a hard level surface the front diff pinion does 110 turns to the transfer cases100.  Don’t forget it’s actually two teeth difference as there is one less and one more as it were. I did a crude experiment with a pair of 14.9 -28 Firestone 23 degree tread and cobbled the wheels onto the front of the tractor. When driven in a straight line the diff pinion would now do 99.5 turns to the transfer cases 100 so a small lead in the front. Tractor looks way too high at the front with them on though. Feels even more clumsy than it already is. 

Those tractors always looked high in the front especially the MFD ones . I'd swap tires and use it. Tires and rims are going to be way cheaper than iron parts 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, England806 said:

You are right Bitty.   That’s the plan now. Tires and rims are half the price of gears. I guess I can live with the front being high. Il just have to adjust the seat a bit!

I got a 4wd 1410 Case David Brown with a Kramer front end.It looks high in the front some too but it would if you looked at a 2wd model.But it's a clumsy old tractor with large Alamo Brush Axe boom mower on it.It turns pretty well though and I am never going fast so being nimble isn't a big deal.4wd is essential for what it does,invaluable and well worth the trouble. It would be unsafe otherwise with 2wd.So if the 806 is a working tractor,you need 4wd do want Bitty says.It will look unique and you will either be glad you have the 4wd or figure out that you really don’t need it.

1410 mfd must be fairly rare? 
MFD won’t be needed often but will be useful on a few of the steep banks I mow. Will definitely be safer. 
I used to use an IH634 with county 4wd for mowing. Four nearly smooth tires but it never got stuck. Turning circle was probably the same as the 806 so I can live with it. 

4 hours ago, England806 said:

I used to use an IH634 with county 4wd for mowing

County? As in the County conversions done on Ford tractors?

Did it have four big tires or was it something more conventional.

EDIT: Oh wow, never knew such a thing existed:

IH_634_AWD_sn_550_-_KWD_887L_at_newby_2011_-_IMG_9846.webp.515735c1a895f8abd456e6bd04ba5c55.webp

• Like 2