Electric Fence Wisdom

hobbyfarm

Have you thought of adding a ground strand to the fence. When I built some high tensile fence we did four strands. The first, bottom, strand was hot. The second was grounded. Then the third and top strand were also hot. The only issues we had was everyone had to be on the same page when repairing the fence.

• Like 1

Hogs and sheep are a set of problems all there own. Goats are off the charts.

I am keeping cows away from a little cabin one landlord just could not live without. No rain here since April, with a good ground rod and a wire dedicated to being a ground and the fact all weeds where cleared away.

I don't know of any high tinsel cattle fence. But many vineyards tried them for deer in the 80's. All gave up and put in netting wire. I defy anyone to build corner that can keep the wire as tight as a high tinsel fence needs to be for 5 years. To much shrinking and expanding of the clay soils.  Well I guess if you are willing throw money you could built a corner. The deer fences are ok with double H braces for gates (3 posts 2 cross bars) 5 posts for a corner.

We have used electric along driveways and such, but there has always been electric gates to  keep 2 legged varmints out, And that makes another safety to keep them off the public roads. On longer stretches deer or wild hogs will eventually run through and take out a 100 feet or more.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Have you thought of adding a ground strand to the fence. When I built some high tensile fence we did four strands. The first, bottom, strand was hot. The second was grounded. Then the third and top strand were also hot. The only issues we had was everyone had to be on the same page when repairing the fence.

This is mostly 5 wire with every other hot starting at the bottom.  The stuff I had put in the bottom wire is not hit just to keep weeds from checking it out too quickly.

I'm not sure what a ground strand is.  When I have more time I need to start disconnecting and figure out what is going on.  I do have 2 disconnects I installed a year or w ago but that isn't near enough to isolate any problems.  We will have to go a fence section at a time.

Back at it a bit this evening.  Ran an aluminum jumper from one area to the next.  With that fence section hotter I found a short drawing 43 amps on the fence tester.  An old piece of wire from days gone by was against the bottom and blended right in.  That got that area good and strong.  I didn't get to look any further before dark.  Hard to see but it is right in the middle of the first picture.  I could probably spend a lifetime cleaning up around here.  All sorts of barb wire, box wire, old gates etc hiding in the fence rows.  Getting 5kv on my temporary rope type fence dividing the current pasture they are in.  If they go through that something is wrong.  I need to check farther away.

20220805_195834.thumb.jpg.f978e5b95b48d7209da6c2a8f38cab37.jpg20220805_195834.thumb.jpg.f978e5b95b48d7209da6c2a8f38cab37.jpg20220805_195905.thumb.jpg.b797ef07ada0000828e14d53aa1dd138.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Found 2 more shorts today.  Had an electrified wire touching one that shouldn't be.  Also ran the atv sprayer along the bottom of a good bit of fence line.  I'm up to 3.9kv at the far end of the run.  

Petty sure we are hot enough now.  I should replace all these spring gates with real gates but that would be a serious expense.  If they go through this one and wreck my mums again we may need to have the world's largest beef roast.

2nd pic a few weeks ago one went through a different spring gate and ate the purple fountain grass off the top of my largest planter pots.  As if that wasn't enough it went down through and knocked about 100 pots over damaging some beyond hope.

20220821_193540.thumb.jpg.0adecaafeefa618ae34eea79a49aed71.jpg

IMG_20220821_210932.jpg

My grandpa taught me about the importance of grounds when I was about 10 or so. 

I was showing off to the younger cousins by grabbing the electric fence wire and holding on to it.

Grandpa saw me doing that and said "now, with your other hand, grab that wet horse weed right there and hold on real tight"

I never made it to "real tight".

Lesson learned and laughter could be heard clear up to the house. 

On 8/2/2022 at 11:29 PM, Ian Beale said:

Not peeing but similar.

A neighbour has electrified a part of our boundary so it is all electric fence - about 7 strands IIRC.  And it is pretty high powered.

One day I was doing the rounds slowly behind a wallaby (a smaller kangaroo).  He just loped along inside the fence in no rush for 5 or 6 panels.  Then did a leap at an angle through the fence and kept going with no sign of getting shocked.  I'm guessing that he was sensing the pulses too.

As long as he was not touching the ground when he jumped through the wire he would not get shocked. Just like a bird landing on a power line. Now a squirrel climbing up a power pole and touching both the neutral and the hot line has a whole different outcome.  

On 8/2/2022 at 11:29 PM, Ian Beale said:

Not peeing but similar.

A neighbour has electrified a part of our boundary so it is all electric fence - about 7 strands IIRC.  And it is pretty high powered.

One day I was doing the rounds slowly behind a wallaby (a smaller kangaroo).  He just loped along inside the fence in no rush for 5 or 6 panels.  Then did a leap at an angle through the fence and kept going with no sign of getting shocked.  I'm guessing that he was sensing the pulses too.

As long as he was not touching the ground when he jumped through the wire he would not get shocked. Just like a bird landing on a power line. Now a squirrel climbing up a power pole and touching both the neutral and the hot line has a whole different outcome.  

8 hours ago, Owen Aaland said:

This fence is alternating hot and earth wires