AR-15 platform

Surfing the net to get my head wrapped around some of this ar stuff I have stumbled across many videos and admit to shaking my head a bit.

To each their own and I'm not implying anything but freedom of choice as long as it's responsible...

But some of these guys come across like they are auditioning for a video game or ridiculous movie role.

The term "home defence" is relied upon and distorted at least as much as the term "climate change"

This guy sums up how I feel really pretty well ...

With that said I'm still shopping ....

3 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

I read about those and liked the idea but the 223/556 is a bit more capable so I'm going that route.

Some say they are hot enough to burn out the barrel....

I ordered a 20" bull barrel to hopefully keep that from being an issue they are a hot little round at 3900fps but I already have a 223 so had to build something new...😆

20 minutes ago, acem said:

For home defense a full sized pistol is probably best. 

IMHO YMMV

Thx-Ace 

I agree 

If a two hand firearm is used instead I would go 12 gauge....

Just my opinion...

• Like 1

I keep an 870 riot gun in the closet with a bandolier of 00 buck hanging with it. If that doesn't cover me then I guess it's my time to go. A Sig Sauer P226 rides under the truck seat.  S & W 642 in the pocket of I am going somewhere iffy.

That said I am building an AR right now too.

• Like 1

I run 20 round Magpul mags most of the time.  But I have a supply of 30s as well.  20s are nicer for bench work.  Polymer Magpul are very reliable and don't dent if dropped or rattle around.   To me they are the standard to which the others are judged.

(Not an "everything must be Magpul accessorized to the hilt" person, but do believe they make great mags)

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

What's your go to mag brand?

PMAG 20

Then steel.

IMG_20220810_221030052_HDR.thumb.jpg.133b9e182b354e53c0b352cd0b921575.jpg

Never use the 30 or 40. Too heavy and awkward. Always hitting or catching on stuff.

Was steel until Magpul came out and like @Mr. Plow I prefer those now.

I do have their 10 rd mags (and 20's) for the AR10 and Rem 700 .22-250 AI

Never thought about 10 rd for the 15.

I might need to get a couple 10 rounders.....even the 20s are a bit long on the bench.

My supply of 30s was based on cheap bulk packaged mags at Big R.  I'd walk by, see $9.99 PMAG 30s and buy 2.......every time I went in the store!!!  Finally quit when I counted them up 😄

• Haha 1

The old 20rd aluminum magazines are my go to mag. The carbine is noticeably lighter with the 20rd vs 30rd when carrying it.

I carry a rifle much more than I shoot it. I like it light!

My biggest complaint about AKs is they are heavy for barrel length. Solidly built though. 

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

I've got 10, 20 and 30 round mags. The 10 and 30's are Magpul or PMag. The 20's are metal. 

I've also got an AR10 in 308. 10 round Magpul.

I've never heard of anyone complaining about different brands of AR mags. Get into Glock and an it can be hit or miss. Most Glock shooters I know will only use Glock branded mags.

Rick

There are junk ar15/m16 mags out there. Anything aftermarket from before the 1994 assualt weapons ban is highly suspect. The aftermarket ar mags are way better than they were back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 10:38 PM, acem said:

For home defense a full sized pistol is probably best. 

IMHO YMMV

Thx-Ace 

I have never seen anyone bigger than a 12 gauge.

The sound of an 870 Remington racking one is a sound you will always remember.

But clean up can take awhile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I have never seen anyone bigger than a 12 gauge.

The sound of an 870 Remington racking one is a sound you will always remember.

But clean up can take awhile.

Scary as h e l l, recognizable to everyone.

Should make anyone turn tail and run.

BUT, if that doesn't scare them off, they now know where you are and what you will be using in the upcoming event.

Takes away some elements of surprise you had on your side.

Be locked and loaded and find them before they find you.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with bear creek or anderson lowers. I have a dpms lower on an aero 18" upper that functions just fine. When i was in nuke security all we ran was dpms and bushmaster m4 style rifles. We put thousands of rounds through them amd they ran and ran. Are you gonna shoot 1/2 moa at 100 yards no but accurate enough to shoot minute of man easily.