450 Clutch & TA misalignment

Hello,

I acquired a farmall 450 sometime ago and I've been slowly working the bugs out of it. One... of my current projects on the tractor is to get the clutch working properly without the need to pull the T.A. handle by hand. I'm wondering if anyone has ever found the torque amplifier clutch release shaft and the engine clutch release shaft installed so offset from one another that the linkage between the two cannot be installed? This tractor was missing that linkage so I bought one from a salvage yard. I then found out I couldn't install the linkage because the shafts don't line up with each other. It appears that the front shaft needs to move out further from the machine. It appears that the shaft is long enough to do this by looking at the stub sticking through on the opposite side of the tractor. How do I move this shaft over so its aligned well enough to install the linkage? Do I have to split the tractor to do this?

20171209_094901.jpg

20180106_154148.jpg

20180106_154220.jpg

20170402_102806.jpg

• Like 1

Yes the clutch cross shaft appears to be slid in too far. If I remember they used 2 flat washers  instead of 2 woodruff  keys. you can't get it wrong with the washers as keys as the clamp bolts go thru them. Someone must have used keys instead.

One of my favorite tractors there set up similar to the one we sold in the fall of '89

Like others indicated the main clutch operating shaft has the release bearing fork attached with two thick washers in shaft slots and bolts that go through washers that clamp fork to shaft. If bolts and washers are in correct the only way shaft can move over is a ear off fork, failure of another part or someone didn't have parts in place.  If main clutch releases without problem, it would be a long shot that the fork could be clamped tight enough out of center without washers in key slots to hold up over time without slipping on shaft.  Take flat plate off under clutch and try to see problem.  T/A release shaft has two keys and a set screw for fork plus the rings on shaft to keep it centered.

17 hours ago, gary1466 said:

Yes the clutch cross shaft appears to be slid in too far. If I remember they used 2 flat washers  instead of 2 woodruff  keys. you can't get it wrong with the washers as keys as the clamp bolts go thru them. Someone must have used keys instead.

I agree!

The only way this can not be centered properly is woodruff keys installed rather than the correct washers.

The washers set the depth of the shaft perfectly. These are:

18465D      WASHER     KEY, clutch release fork    2 Required

The washers are super thick ones.

Any junk yard should have these on hand.

You may be able to come up from underneath, loosen the two bolts with a 9/16 wrench, then drive the shaft back where it should be and retighten.  The shaft should be just flush with the case on the other side. You will be right up against the pressure plate and the throw out bearing holder. Unhook the clutch rod and move the arm back as far as it will go. You may, or may not, get enough room to get at the two bolts just to loosen them. Don't try and replace the keys with these washers without splitting. You will never get that done, easily.

If not, you need to split the tractor to fix this as this is the easiest and you can put in the right washers.