Current sawmill thread

Twolines

50 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Still have a neighbor that has a mill like that, think he powered it was a 350 Chevy, he's got to be in his 80's now and has a lot of cool stuff and was talented in many different areas

Like growing up on the farm and being around machinery, I learned so much from hanging out and watching, and later helping.  It is amazing how much stuff today is based on things that were done 40, 50, 60, 100 years ago (if you can understand a knotter on a baler, you can fix pretty much any mechanical system).  Later when I was in school for mechanical engineering, I learned the why things worked, I already knew the how things worked (gear trains, belts, hydraulics, clutches, bearings, etc).  

Now electrical and electronics....I can follow a lot of what is going on, but there are times when I need to try to visualize it in mechanical terms, unfortunately for some electrical stuff there is no mechanical corollary. 

@Twolines - didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.  I have some more photos if anyone else wants to see more.

• Like 4

Mudfly the thread is for highjacking. Very neat pics and story, this is exactly what should be posted here.

Im happy to have been taught what i have...but wish i would have paid more attention. These old guys are and have been leaving us, my generation, give or take a few years...doesnt know the half of it. Cousin and i were talking about this the other day. Theres no way i could fill the shoes of those who taught me. Wish we all had more time with our elders and mentors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mudfly the thread is for highjacking. Very neat pics and story, this is exactly what should be posted here.

Im happy to have been taught what i have...but wish i would have paid more attention. These old guys are and have been leaving us, my generation, give or take a few years...doesnt know the half of it. Cousin and i were talking about this the other day. Theres no way i could fill the shoes of those who taught me. Wish we all had more time with our elders and mentors.

Mudfly, yes postem if ya gotem!

I can usually guage his sawmill activity by the timber lying in wait and his slab pile he keeps across the road, both been absent now of late, I know he was complaining awhile back about the slab pile, used to be cattle guys always wanting for pens, then guys for firewood, both are probably on the decline 🥺

Hardtail, have u thought about asking to buy his set up? It would be historical to keep it going...almost necessary in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I can usually guage his sawmill activity by the timber lying in wait and his slab pile he keeps across the road, both been absent now of late, I know he was complaining awhile back about the slab pile, used to be cattle guys always wanting for pens, then guys for firewood, both are probably on the decline 🥺

We still have quite a few that come for firewood. Not as many as 15 years ago maybe but still sell 20-30 truck loads a fall. They never get ahead of the pile unfortunately so every 5 years or so I split the pile and burn the picked over scraps. Makes for a nice bonfire.  Not shortage of customers for lumber yet but the log supply has gotten a little harder the last few years. The fellow we worked with in the gov for the last 25 years retired and they never replaced him. Instead went to a private company and made the logger do all the planning and pay for the consultation through the private company. They also don’t seem to want to work with the small guy anymore. Now they want blocks of a million board feet cut out vs a couple hundred thousand. Instead of blocks of 5-10 acres they’re pushing 60-80 acres. In some cases even more. Mom and dad aren’t getting any younger and I can only do so much. 

• Like 2

Just ordered a box of 15 blades from woodmizer, 503$ delivered. These are the bimetal 29$ blades. Expensive but it should keep me going for a couple years at the rate i cut.

Ace how long are ur blades?

144 inches. I bought 10 extra, 11 total, with the mill. Two different friends have sharpeners and setters so I hope tobe OK fora while.

How bout y'all's?

11 should keep u cutting for quite a while...especially with ur sharpener friends. I was talking to a friend that just got an lt15 wide last year and he had heard to just pitch his blades when dull. I showed him my set up and have sharpened his blades once already. 

I use 160" .042 guage ¾-⅞ pitch but can be flexible a couple inches either way on length.

• Like 1

You will like your new mill. There are a few around here and everyone has good things to say about them. 

Just received a 158" blade from woodmizer to try on my mill. Most of my blades are 160"-162" and have to be custom ordered. If the 158" fits, its a stock blade for them and would ship to me much quicker. My other options are wait a month or so for the blades to come from mizer in Indiana or pay the guy up here 100$ a blade for lennox....im not paying 100$ for an fing blade.

• Like 1

158" is a no go dangit!

• Sad 2

I will call it bubble vision...i only see bubbles in this video.

• Haha 1

Sweet! Just got notification my blades shipped from woodmizer in Indiana..they had to be custom made for my non mizer mill lol 

500 including shipping(130) for 15 blades... not bad i think. There is a guy that puts together lennox blades in town...but he wants 100 a piece! Ive been running both mizer and lennox blades and do not notice a difference between a 30$ mizer blade and a 100$ lennox...

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 10:56 AM, Big Bud guy said:

Making “full” dimensional lumber

There's an LT35 they can come and run here. I'll gladly stand back and watch...... I mean..... supervise... lol

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, acem said:

I cut some oak and cedar. Both have been cut for a while but got some good boards.

@acem - I know you are just getting started with your mill, but any regrets or things you would have done differently?  Different brand, bigger mill, trailer package?   I have been contemplating a mill for several years as I have a lot of trees that could be sawed for lumber (blow down, over mature trees, etc).  Growing up around a mill I know what it takes to try to make money with one and I don't want to do that.  Just for my own purposes, saw for family, and maybe saw for a few close friends on occasion.  I also haven't had too much time at home over the past 5 years or so (kids, active duty wife, etc), but that should change in the next year or so.

I guess I'm asking, would you recommend Woodland Mills products?  Too early to make any judgement?

It's early to make a real judgment but I'm happy so far. My brother in law bought one a couple years ago.  The mill cuts as good as or better than the other manual mills I've run. It's easy to operate and simple. I recommend this mill for occasional users like myself.

I like the head design and build.  The head works really well. I've been around some that didn't work so well.

The track system works well but I think it could be better. The track comes in 6.5ft sections. The base mill has two sections which allows you to cut a 10ft log. Additional 6.5 ft sections can be added for more length. I would prefer longer continuous track, 20ft? I also prefer the woodmizer style log clamps. They have this kit figured out to make Shipping reasonable. Long track would cost alot to ship so I understand. Also the mill requires assembly. See my pics of assembly in my small sawmill thread.

I'm planning to build more track with 20ft angel iron, etc. I have only seen a few different types of portable mills and am looking for more ideas.

Could y'all please post some detailed pics of your track and bed.?

Thx-Ace