Farmall M Governor

cwinn

Hello fellas,I've rebuilt several Farmall governors to factory spec. I've got a guy who wants a few more Rpms for plowing and hills pulling wagons.  Where you guys get a spring or any cheating that's easy to do. Any help appreciated 

20220726_181127.jpg

Lightening weights by grinding will gain rpm but lose response. Some of those springs had a clevis at one end that screwed in. A coil or two could be cut and and clevis screwed in further. Spring holes can be welded or brazed in and drilled further apart. I think thrust bearing spacer can be shimmed out (requires readjusting carb linkage). Were 450 springs heavier?

Stretching spring tighter results in increased rpm. Can also cause jumpy galloping governor.

• Like 1

Snoshoe,Thank you sir. I'm going to mess around this week with one . Fun job, tinker project on bench week nights.Thanks alot

It is an easy adjustment without doing any work to it.

It has been awhile since I done mine.

Read the book?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

It is an easy adjustment without doing any work to it.

It has been awhile since I done mine.

Read the book?

Of course. My suggestions were for after stop is backed out and rod lengthened. 

Check the throttle linkage for moving arm on back of governor so arm under side cover see if the lower 1/4 adjusting bolt with lock nut is contacting the housing. If it is, more RPM will happen by backing the stop bolt out unless already backed full out. If spring is to weak to overcome the weights a stiffer spring can raise RPM. Look at a hardware store that has a selection of springs to find a stiffer one the same length or a shorter one the same tension. Those springs are cheap enough that you can bend and change lengths if needed.  All linkages inside and out need rechecked after changes.

• Like 2