Can someone help identify the vin and truck?

DevilDog6154

I just bought this truck, the kid i bought it from didn't seem like he knew a whole lot about anything.  In the post he had he called it a ford. But anyways, can anyone tell me what the vin is telling me? 

Resized_20220723_214411.jpeg

20220728_070642.jpg

20220724_170736.jpg

• DevilDog6154 changed the title to Can someone help identify the vin and truck?

I don't have a book for 77 models but I'll try see if my older books help. It looks like an 1850 to me.

It looks like a diesel by the grill. What's under the hood?

2 minutes ago, acem said:

It looks like an 1850 to me.likley

I think the GVW is too high for 1600 and too low for a 1800  maybe a 1700

500 lbs over CDL 

5 hours ago, acem said:

I don't have a book for 77 models but I'll try see if my older books help. It looks like an 1850 to me.

I'd agree that is a diesel grille, but the engine could easily have been changed in 40+ years.  The VIN indicates it was built in Chatham where the diesels were built vs Springfield for the gas models.  My 1972 specs indicate the 1850 GVWs ran from 23,660 up to 30,200#, a 1750 maxed out at 26,000#

Probably a v8. Dv550 or 9 liter? I forget which year it changed. I've never seen a butterfly hood with a dt466.

Where ya located?

I live near altus Arkansas.

Here's a spec sheet from 77. It's actually from ih Canada but should be the same.

1600 is 16,000 to 24,500 lb

1700 is 16,000 to 28,000

1800 is 20,200 to 30,200

PXL_20220731_150526035.jpg

Howard P Didn't IH come out with  a ordering and promotion package for loadstars call the BINDER and it seems to me they used that grille .It was in the 76-77 time frame as I was looking (dreaming) of a new loadstar ended up with a real low milage 73  loadstar that had been used by a roofing contractor so all it ever did was sit by the building with a sissors lift body.

The Binder was introduced in 1975.  Per Crismon's book, "It was  a very basic truck, at the low-cost end of the Loadstar line aimed at the farm market" and he has a photo showing it with the standard grille.  

I never realized that grille was used with the MV engines which this one has in addition to the diesels. Probably it covered a larger radiator for more cooling, but that wouldn't be needed on the basic truck.

I thought it looked like an old Arkansas highway department truck!

I was off on the model and engine though. 1700 and mv404.

I put a radiator from a 1800 loadstar with mv446 into my 74 loadstar with a sv345. Everything bolted right up.

Thx-Ace 

The carb seems to be missing some parts off of it, would it be easier to buy a new one instead of trying to find the missing parts somewhere? Also does anyone know of a replacement for the hubs so i can run different rims on this truck? No tire shop around me will touch the split rims.