oscillating saw question

pt756

Hello there, so trying to trim up some rotted wood of of a 8 by 8 timber on the house, are the oscillating saws handy, and corded vs cordless, i am slowly switching to 20 volt dewalt tools from 18 so that would probably be the choice, thanks

Just now, pt756 said:

Hello there, so trying to trim up some rotted wood of of a 8 by 8 timber on the house, are the oscillating saws handy, and corded vs cordless, i am slowly switching to 20 volt dewalt tools from 18 so that would probably be the choice, thanks

They have their spots.  If you need one, there are very few other things that will work.  However, if there is any other option I would use that option first.

that said, mine is cordless.  I have never run it out of battery, but I use it sparingly.  If you need to make square corners in holes, or undercut trim, or cut drywall for electrical boxes, they can be useful.

• Like 2

Yes and yes and yes. If you are an occasional user I would recommend get a Fein corded. get some bosch carbide blades for anything with the faintest hint of a nail or screw. 
i have tried bargain branded ones and they aren’t worth it. Have a Milwaukee cordless also that gets used daily 

• Like 2

I bought the dewalt 20 volt version.  I have used it to undercut trim on a few laminate floors.  There are kits out there with a charger and 2amp hr battery that were priced lower then the bare tool.  2amp hrs batteries aren't great but when they come along why not.

My reasoning for recommending a corded one is that the tool is likely to outlast the battery system. Ours is probably 10 years old with consistent use. The corded Fein is way more machine than the cordless Milwaukee but the Milwaukee is handy. 

• Like 1

I have a corded version from Dremel.  Used it for a lot of stuff where nothing else would work.  Mine has been used and abused, I've probably exceeded the duty cycle several times.  But its still going.  If it quits I would definitely replace it with another corded one.

We tried a dremel, figured for 100 bucks how far wrong could we go. It lasted one week before i gave it away and bought a Fein multi master. The Fein cordless ranked higher than the competition cordless, but went with a Milwaukee because maintaining multiple battery systems just doesn't work for us. 

20v dewalt if you have the system I use mine almost daily if I'm doing wood fence. Amazing detail tool you will not regret it.