Gave my Y-Block Ford a little freshening up.

lorenzo

A friend has a F3 welding truck that has a motor that look very similar except it's bone stock with a 2bbl. He's retired but still does little welding with it. He's had it for over 30 years.  The 50s F3 with a Lincoln SA200 welder is a true classic!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Is the truck a Merc?

No its not.  I had them made in Australia. 
I grow tired of the idiots at car shows that think every last single hot rod and school bus has to have an LS motor in  it.
They glance over the fender, way to young to have even heard of a Y-Block , they see the headers and think its a small block Chevy. 

The Merc rocker covers are an effort to at least make them look a little closer plus i had them made just a tiny bit taller for clearance of the roller rockers hiding underneath. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

No its not.  I had them made in Australia. 
I grow tired of the idiots at car shows that think every last single hot rod and school bus has to have an LS motor in  it.
They glance over the fender, way to young to have even heard of a Y-Block , they see the headers and think its a small block Chevy. 

The Merc rocker covers are an effort to at least make them look a little closer plus i had them made just a tiny bit taller for clearance of the roller rockers hiding underneath. 

Nice

IRC some one from above the boarder posted a 56 Merc F1 pick up truck on here a little while a go 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Lots of good it will do that by putting the Mercury valve covers on it, not only will they NOT have a clue as to what a Y-block is, they would stand as much chance of NOT having a clue as to what a Mercury was, just as they would NOT be having an inkling of who, or what an "Offenhauser" was.

With roller tappets, does it still have the "clickety-click" of the original mechanical adjusted valve train?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

Lots of good it will do that by putting the Mercury valve covers on it, not only will they NOT have a clue as to what a Y-block is, they would stand as much chance of NOT having a clue as to what a Mercury was, just as they would NOT be having an inkling of who, or what an "Offenhauser" was.

With roller tappets, does it still have the "clickety-click" of the original mechanical adjusted valve train?

I chose a mild cam that was recommended by a couple guys that have done lots of testing  on the dyno, with that and the roller rockers it has a completely different sound.  Until i open the hood no one suspects its a Y-Block .

• Like 1

I have my late grandfather's 1959 f600 that he swapped a 312 into. The truck originally had a 300/ 6 in it. I think he said the oil pump failed and a local mechanic helped him swap this motor in it. He said it was out of a thunderbird. It sure does sound good. 

• Like 2

Dad had 49 F6 that had a Y block out of a  57 Thunderbird transplanted. A neighbor had 58 F600 that had 312 in it when he bought it. Both hauled a lot grain here.

• Like 2