Gave my Y-Block Ford a little freshening up.

lorenzo

38 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Started life as a 292.

My favorite Ford motor!! You can't beat the economy & the sound of them. Still have the one from my first car on a stand. Don't look as pretty as that & probably went tight by now.

Mike

• Like 2

Just so happens that I grew up around those engines.  We were share croppers in 55, Land Lord got  a new Ford F100 (blue, 3 speed, base V/8) as the farm truck in the summer of 55. I was 11 YO, it was the first new vehicle I ever rode in (mostly in the bed being too dirty for the seat) also caught heck for scraping a fender with a sweep once, putting  the first ding in the new truck.

• Like 2

Had two of them, one in a 1955 Fairlane (originally a 272, but after having a rod ventilate the block) (drove from Shertz, TX, to Pleasanton, TX before it gave up the ghost), and replaced it with a 292, and a 292 in a 1964 F-100.

Nothing like the sound of the mechanical tappets, or the exhaust on the 1955, factory duals with glasspacks.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Saw a good home for that this morning. 56 Ford convertible, drove past the farm this morning.

I think I know that guy.....not sure he would pull the 312 but might be happy to dress it up!

• Like 1

that is a great looking motor.  my favorite rods are period rods.  where it looks like it was done in the 50s, 60s, or early 70s.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Offies!  Love the old school!!!

Those rocker covers will come off this weekend and be for sale.

These are going on in the morning

image.thumb.jpg.721df8b45338c4827ccf9a6e1850aa00.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

What kind of heads?

Custom made in California, waited 2 1/2 years for them. Ported and polished with larger valves. Proven on the dyno to be a true 56 HP gain with out any other modifications. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Dad had a '56 F-350 step-side pickup, 292 and 4-spd.  It had that silly exhaust cross-over pipe from the front of left bank to the front of the right bank, great thing to boil the gas out of the carb, fry the top radiator hose. I'm not sure why Dad tolerated all the problems that cross-over pipe caused.  Dad ran it to town with the empty Heider auger wagon and picked up 5500# of hog feed, and before we left town we tossed 500# of bagged pellets for the creep feeders.  And we STILL PASSED all the 6-cylinder Chevy pickups on the way home.

• Like 1