Manifolds, 460 utility

I just did a manifold like that on a 656. The flapper directs exhaust heat into a cavity that surrounds the intake manifold, preheating the gas/air mix coming from the carburetor. When the engine warms up, the spring loses its tension and the weight pulls the flapper closed, blocking off the hot air. I'm thinking probably try to replace that. there is a kit that comes with all the parts necessary. On the 656 I think the flap was rusted closed which was blocking of hot air all the time (it did run fine). I guess I don't know what would happen with the flap open all the time.

• Thanks 1

Ordered a new spring. I can only find one place that has a shaft and it's 225$ so I'm going to get this one freed up and weld the plate back in place. When I get it together I'm thinking the flap should be open then the heat will close it. Is that correct?