Penetrating oil showdown

Steve C.

Interesting results.

I thought it was interesting that WD40 did as well as it did, and that Kroil didn't.

A trick that a shop owner told me about once, which I haven't tried myself, is to heat the nut and bolt with a torch, then put a few drops of full synthetic oil on the threads.  He said when it cools it pulls the oil in, while conventional oil will cook off before it can soak in.

• Thanks 1

Cant wait to try the heat and synthetic oil method, thanks! I like pb blaster but not sure y...everything seems to work about the same. A few years ago i adopted the trans/acetone mix and really just stick with that cuz i always have the ingredients around...and its cheap. Recently used trans/acetone on my parts truck lug nuts...came off like new.

been using tap magic lately

asked the kid to get me a small can and ended up with 4 pint size bottles

works better than kroyal on bolts and stuck shafts

Mike

Been using Justice Brothers JB80 for a few years now. Really like it compared to others we have used 

3 minutes ago, Mike H said:

been using tap magic lately

asked the kid to get me a small can and ended up with 4 pint size bottles

works better than kroyal on bolts and stuck shafts

Mike

I agree , I have used on some 70 year old cultivators with very good results . My opinion it exceeds all the other products and homemade stuff 

Candle wax also works when you heat up a nut or frozen joint, capillary action. Yes it will catch fire if too hot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

heat the nut and bolt with a torch, then put a few drops of full synthetic oil on the threads.  He said when it cools it pulls the oil in, while conventional oil will cook off before it can soak in.

Have heard of heat and candle wax being pulled in as it cools also.

Good thread Steve!

Will be interesting hearing everyone's magic elixers😃

He did a very good test. I do think Kroil does one heck of a job penetrating, but it feels like brake fluid, its not slippery. Interesting on the liquid wrench, I have a can of it in the trailer box for binders and hitch pieces. I try to squirt everything every time. It helps, and lubed binders work much better. 
i used that because it was cheap. 

Oh I agree. Kroil breaks things free, but has zero lubricity beyond that. As soon as I get a something moving a half turn, I put the Kroil away and grab something else. Usually wd40 or PB. Since they are cheap and easy to find anywhere. I’ve tried the, I think it’s, “ Silkroil” Kroil with Silicon, that’s suppose to lubebetter, but I didn’t think it did much and it sure cost enough   

Suprised Free-All wasn't mentioned.  Made by Federal Process corp.  It seems to work ok (can't say better or worse than the others, just another tool for the toolbox).   However, it has a rabid cult following that swears by it and damned the rest.  

We use free all at work. Smells and feels pretty close to wd 40 to me. 🤷‍♂️

My go to is wd 40 for most stuff but I do keep a can of pb blaster around. Think it might penatrate a bit better but I can't prove it. 

5 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Oil thread!

db5c30c01fd9bcbf2a15cca81867312f.gif

Breaking the law breaking the law huh huh 🤣

• Like 1

Surprised no one mentioned Sea Foam. Their penetrating juice foams a bit which I think helps it cling to the nut or bolt for awhile. Not sure if it penetrates any better than anything else. 
Permetex makes a penetrating oil that seems to be really thin. Again not sure if it works any better. 

11 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

My go to is wd 40 for most stuff but I do keep a can of pb blaster around. Think it might penatrate a bit better but I can't prove it. 

Seems to be my experience with PB Blaster is same as yours, but I think I'll try the old Liquid Wrench next time - did great in this test and costs less too.

• Like 1