Couple of old pictures, of interest........"Red " related !!......more pictures added...and more again

18 hours ago, td9bcf180 said:

In reciprocate, you are most welcome to come to this part of the hemisphere, as well! Moose/deer hunting seasons are usually October/November so pack extra woollies, parkas, etc. etc. A tad chillier than your part of the world. We have lots of space/room/area/land to hunt on so hounds for deer chasing are still allowed (for now- but that could change if... ). Nothing gets the adrenalin going like a bluetick/black and tan or redbone 100 feet behind a 10 pointer coming straight at you 50 acres away for minutes on end. Be ready with your Savage/Browning/Winchester lever action. 

In reality, I doubt if I will ever get down to Kiwi land and you might not like the cold (I don't) here in the great white north so maybe we both can dream about this scenario!  Cheers to that with BB Tea. 

Off the rails here. Let's talk your old pics and big logs instead of dogs.

...in 1972  I went with two blokes from Marathon    up into Timmins....ostensibly for a Moose hunt....Although, naturally I had never been involved in a Moose hunt in New Zealand...I thought these two blokes were ill prepared ...given they were local 's  as it where.. Thus I spent fruitless, but interesting hours wandering around   that terrain up there...saw some huge tracks but did not see a moose... All the while the two Ontario citizens were   working there way thru some home made fruit wine....and after two days ...just when I was finally coming to terms with the terrain...the prevailing breeze  and seeing where those big  animals fed  etc etc...the two men had to get back to call in and get their ''unemployment '' cheque...sigh

My enduring memory of that time up and around Marathon/ Timmins was how beautiful the Autumn colours where...driving their big Ford sedan back to Marathon because those blokes were too inebriated, from the  wine , to drive ...and seeing a Lynx on the highway.....and...that was the coldest two nights I had ever spent  ''camping''...and that was attributably  mainly to the blokes lack of experience setting a 'camp'  up in that area ...in the autumn....

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only thing missing on your trip was 2 feet of snow just to add misery. Maybe the 2 "locals" you mention were from Trawna and never been in the bush in their life. 🙄

I spent 4 years just west of there in Thunder Bay. Nice country. Boreal forest- black spruce, jack pines.

Me- I live in the other end of Ontario with hardwoods/white pine and lots of lakes and rivers and hills and rock. Prime whitetail deer country.  Moose are around, too.

5 hours ago, td9bcf180 said:

The only thing missing on your trip was 2 feet of snow just to add misery. Maybe the 2 "locals" you mention were from Trawna and never been in the bush in their life. 🙄

I spent 4 years just west of there in Thunder Bay. Nice country. Boreal forest- black spruce, jack pines.

Me- I live in the other end of Ontario with hardwoods/white pine and lots of lakes and rivers and hills and rock. Prime whitetail deer country.  Moose are around, too.

Well , Mike...a couple of things..not sure what you meant by  " Trawna "...but those two characters  were lazy buggers.....Some years prior to those daze, an American and his Canadian wife settled in our little valley in New Zealand...but they found , after several years , that the paucity of the reward  for working ,.in his case...at the local Electricity Dept  , was so meager to what he was used to in California...that they went back to North America......Thus I was invited to go over ...as I had taken the American bloke out hunting many times...in NZ...So those two ''Moose hunters "" were the brother of this Americans  wife....There was so much work around Marathon with the timber industry...back in those days...there was sweet F all of a reason to draw unemployment...Different Strokes  !!!!

T'other thing was you mentioned Thunder Bay....I remember driving thru there as it is right on the edge of  Lake Superior...and I was sure the KMC   tracked skidder  were made there....but 'Google'' suggested otherwise...

Do you happen to know if that was correct or not ?

Mike

Mike:

"Trawna" is a bit of a local slang word pronounced as such that actually refers to Toronto the largest city in our great Dominion. It's a place I try to stay clear of at all costs and I haven't graced it with my presence for years. Nothing against it- just not my cup of tea.

If you were in N. Ontario in 1972, I was there in the late 1970's. Pulp and paper industry was thriving. Jobs everywhere. American Can Paper mill was in Marathon; Kimberley Clark in Terrace Bay and Thunder Bay had 4 mills (IIRC): Great Lakes paper and Abitibi had 3 of their own. Quite different today. So your 2 moose hunting chums at the time seemed to like the vino and collecting pogie better than working. To each his own, I guess. 

KMC tracked skidders were made in British Columbia- I think the K stands for Kootenay. Could be wrong- could be Kelowna or Kamloops. B.C. guys should chime in here. Lots of forestry stuff was made in B.C.  Western Star trucks too. A distant cousin of mine has a W. Star dealership in Oz.  Thunder Bay also had some forestry machine manufacturers- NESCO comes to mind as I remember they made a slasher that took 3 men to operate. 2 loader cherry pickers; one on each end and a sawyer in the middle all on a 50 some foot frame propelled on rubber. Quite a beast. I will dig up a pic. If there is anyone from northern Ontario or Minnesota or Upper Michigan on here, you know what I'm talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

,,,Can't remember posting this before ....??

..our BTD8  82 series...circa  mid seventies

..note the ''standard ''   IHC  independent   power takeoff grafted onto the back of the crawler...This came from an Australian   A554   Diesel tractor   and was used for several different applications , including running an old trailing   back hoe

Mike

post-157-1185677964  td8creek.jpg

• Like 7

Thunder Bay area. 1st two pics are the NESCO 3 man slasher. I thought that the sawyers position was in the middle of the machine but it was at the end as noted. 3rd pic is a Koehring K4L loader loading 8' spruce pulp "sideways" on trailer. Last pic is a Drott loading 16' spruce sawlogs. Wish I had a pic. of the "squeezers". Must be someone here that has one or knows what I'm talking about?

Photo_2023-11-23_084007a.jpg

Photo_2023-11-23_084007b.jpg

Photo_2023-11-23_084007c.jpg

Photo_2023-11-23_084007d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2023 at 6:52 PM, hardtail said:

Might have said the TD40 was the big boy of its day he would need a Komatsu 575 to be relevant 🤔

Ran accross this 

Spent alot of time as a lad in Ohio there seemed to be a lot of Euclid crawlers there.

Euclid TC12.jpg

• Like 4

@jeeper61 Those picker loaders behind the cab on those 2 -R190's- are they Prentices?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 1:00 PM, jeeper61 said:

Hauling the big wood with a Westcoaster I think 

image.png.a63589d82a94fbfc2b6160b6de86a5a4.png

1948 International West Coast Special with a Hall-Scott butane engine.

This was about two miles up Greenwood Creek, Mendocino County California

image.png.30f0edb9b221b065f8384c081d518c1c.png

image.png.1e0afd665350a61442057d873e48ca7c.png

I can't imagine the saw mill that would be required for the log in the top picture, must be an 8-10 footer

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tad Wicks said:

I can't imagine the saw mill that would be required for the log in the top picture, must be an 8-10 footer

...think about the loading of that log, Tad !!!

...not something a Hough 30 would lift ....

Mike

5 hours ago, Tad Wicks said:

Triple diamonds in Japanese is Mitsubishi, no kidding

The company that threw Zero's at us

Yes they use it but IH was using the triple diamond logo on trucks since 1923 until the man on the tractor logo came out in the late 40's

image.png.85c6a8e5f772677d8fd885ece304d4c8.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

The company that threw Zero's at us

Yes they use it but IH was using the triple diamond logo on trucks since 1923 until the man on the tractor logo came out in the late 40's

image.png.85c6a8e5f772677d8fd885ece304d4c8.png

What do they know anyhow? they put them in a circle, everybody knows that they have to be side by side😀

Wonder how many board feet of lumber in that stick?