88 Series Radiator Fan Shaft Bearing

When is the radiator fan shaft bearing supposed to be replaced on the 5088, 5288 & 5488?  Obviously before it goes out but what indications are there to indicate that it’s going bad?  Are there measurable tolerances or anything else to signal it’s time to replace the bearing.  And how difficult is it to do so?

any play in it replace it, better to nip it before it gets your fan or radiator, only goes on one way and is a press fit don't forget how it goes on or be talking while putting it on speaking for a friend lol, the support is the only thing different, a quick look n mother case may still have a few but i can say out of our fleet we have more old two mount style then the new four and we never had a problem, only other difference is the fan, 50 and 52 I think are 6 blade and the 54 is a 8 if my memory is correct, can still get the one for the 50 52 for a whopping 575 but not the 54, had a horn the mounts rusted and came off a couple years a go killed a fan but other than that never a problem fan wise

the update included a larger dia. fan shaft, 4 legged fan support, and improved brg.  the brg. is larger and has better seals to keep the dust out. and a bigger shaft coupling to water pump.  put a few on back in the day. s 4698 is service bulletin on the update. my 52 and 54 have been updated. 50 never has. 52 is hard on front brg. i think who ever updated it never drilled the wholes right. just never have checked. next time it needs a brg gonna try to remember to check layout and mounts for air box. seems like every 2 years 52 needs a brg. 54 and 50 probably been over ten yrs since replaced

If you’re in front of the fan when it’s running and the bearing is getting dry you can here it if you have a trained ear. I have removed the fan shaft and stood it up vertically and pooled oil on the bearing and let it soak into the bearing seal. That will give it extra life if it sounds dry. I done that 200 hours ago on my 5088 and it still sounds good

Whitey's Machine Shop in Milan, Illinois used to make those fan shafts. I forget what the steel was, Stress-Proof or Fatigue-Proof and the splines were "ROLLED-ON", and they were checked to be perfectly straight. They didn't want any wobble in that big heavy fan.

It was a great idea, just a bit ahead of it's time because the new hardware wasn't available to make it work as good as it could. SON worked at Deere Davenport Works for 10 years, most of the time at the end of the grader line. Graders have an abundance of hydraulic flow & PSI, so their cooling fans are hydraulically driven, and are reversible on-the-go, HUGE fans too, there's engine oil, hyd oil, engine coolant, fuel coolers, and a couple other's I forget all depending on this fan.  Lots more room under the hood on a grader than on a 5488.  But a reverse rotation fan goes WAY back to the 1930's and '40's on IH tractors.  And I bet the Deere hardware could be installed on 5X88's.  The Deere fans rotate one way for a fixed time, then slow and stop, then rotate the other way.

• Like 2