Reed 5" Vise -Anyone Have One?

KWRB

I don't care what model specifically. Just needs to be an old model. I assume this one was made 1910-1950 sometime.

I inherited (read: snagged before drug-addled relatives could sneak off with it to sell for scrap) a model 105 (bench mount, no swivel, 5" wide jaws) from a pile under the workbench of my great grandfather after he passed away. I want to restore it and mount it in a place of prominence. At some point in is life, the handle broke. Knowing my great grandfather, I'm 0% shocked. Anyway, I want to machine one up that is dimensionally correct. Turns out Reed patented their method of swaging the round ends on, but the patent didn't include dimensions.

So if I get lucky and someone has one, I'm looking for the dimensions of the handle bar. Overall length, diameter of the bar, width and diameter of the roundish end parts.

It will be a good beginner part to make in the lathe I inherited from him.

Heartfelt thanks in advance!

Not a #5 I guess but it is a Reed the correct vintage that I restored. Handle was bent so I made a new one with round stock and ball bearings like I do for most any that I restore. The original ends were slightly more oval shaped and as you said, swaged on in a strange way.  One end of mine was missing and had brazing around where it had been. I didn’t need factory original so I used what I had in the same diameter. My son was 3-4 when I did that and he could spin it open and closed without the handle installed easily.  First pic is original sales literature from a hardware catalog I have.  It’s mid 19-teens if I remember corectly  

EC06A67C-9741-4A4D-A4D9-5828123261AB.jpeg

97E298B6-B603-49CE-89B9-E356A1383FAD.jpeg

D100DE1E-E05B-4ABF-8920-08956001791A.jpeg

C93FA5F0-B7E9-4677-B2FB-FBB4F5FECD07.jpeg

2BDF5329-0969-47DE-9AA4-DDD1FE155157.jpeg

94A5B25D-7EA9-4BF3-9D81-FCCE12B3E784.jpeg

09DC470F-9625-46D6-9151-41D488DAEA7E.jpeg

4EF9AE8B-E397-4B15-AAB2-3F0AC439AA50.jpeg

1BD21A90-1F8D-4095-ABA9-455CE407D4E9.jpeg

AD97045F-F2B3-4342-B1B0-D04B1697FDE6.jpeg

A1E00AF9-5FAD-4574-AEC5-42F74F6D74BB.jpeg

• Like 5

I have one that looks a bit like that, I will look tomorrow, i really don’t remember who made it. 

Here is my Reed.  It is a beast!  Took two men to set it on the stand!  The gallon oil jug is to show it's size.  There is a little grub screw in the right side of the moveable jaw that locks the split collar.

20151224_185529.jpg

20151224_185447.jpg

• Like 2

Looked around at work, we do indeed have several 5" Reed vices. The bar for the handle is 3/4"x12", balls are 1&1/2", nothing too fancy I guess. What to make them out of would be the question in my mind. Some sort of high-alloy steel would probably be best. 4140 always jumps to mind, it's pretty common and good for a variety of things. Might be something better. Cold-rolled would be easy to get and work with but I would worry about bending it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

Looked around at work, we do indeed have several 5" Reed vices. The bar for the handle is 3/4"x12", balls are 1&1/2", nothing too fancy I guess. What to make them out of would be the question in my mind. Some sort of high-alloy steel would probably be best. 4140 always jumps to mind, it's pretty common and good for a variety of things. Might be something better. Cold-rolled would be easy to get and work with but I would worry about bending it.

Thank you!!

Are the ball ends really spherical? From reading their patent, I expect they're not...

3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

I thought about the handles bending but have never had an issue with cold roll yet. I don’t put cheaters on the end of the handle or anything either. If snug won’t hold it I find a better tool option. 

I have one.  I think the patent date is 1914.  The knobs are shaped like flattened balls.  There was a cross pin to hold them on the handle.  My son welded  and ground it to look nice.  BTW, I am in Wayne County, NY

1 hour ago, tntractor said:

I have one.  I think the patent date is 1914.  The knobs are shaped like flattened balls.  There was a cross pin to hold them on the handle.  My son welded  and ground it to look nice.  BTW, I am in Wayne County, NY

We're practically neighbors!

That's the shape in looking for, the smooshed ball. Any chance of getting a major and minor diameter measurement?

22 hours ago, KWRB said:

Thank you!!

Are the ball ends really spherical? From reading their patent, I expect they're not...

I'm going to assume they were originally. The one I took the measurements from is pretty beat, balls have been welded on. One on the next bench over is nicer and the balls are pretty round. Producing a good sphere on a lathe is a good challenge!

Here is the original remaining ball on mine as far as I know. It is/was brazed on.  It is 1.5” wide. The jaws on my vise (pictured earlier) are 5.5” wide and open to nearly 12”

C02A5976-59EA-40B4-9DA4-31B6441A1661.jpeg