Deer scouting and pics

Rusty shackleford

Anyy get there deer cameras up yet or get out and scout for buck beds? I've been busy and haven't got more than 4 hours of walking in so far and not seeing any big buck sign. Post pics of your sweet trail cam pics or awsome things found scouting . My boy zeke is itchy to get out, little guy walked through vegetation taller than him for 4 hours and never complained 20220716_132447.thumb.jpg.1f48f79154e8508003508b136414e2ea.jpg

• Like 6

Check for ticks ...

I have to get new cameras or get mine working. I saw a really nice one jump up in tall grass almost under me when I was crossing a field from one cornfield to another, he was wide 

• Like 1

We have a couple game cameras that we use around the house. 1 is out where I park the truck. Have a half dozen pictures of a little buck cleaning up where I clean out. Corn, wheat, bean meal and anything else that I make it home with.  Have a couple pictures of a young coyote that is less than 20 feet from the house door. He might get sniped one of these nights. 

• Like 3

Nothing big on camera yet. Just put them out about a week ago. I’ve seen some decent ones. Have two more to put out pretty soon. Just built a stand for one today. I like the individual stands for them better than strapping to a tree personally.  Just got this smaller buck so far.

2B3AA395-83C1-4B4C-A291-4FD896394EB2.jpeg

• Like 4

Seeing deer every day and not looking.  Have one camera we need to get out.  This fawn decided to rest underneath one of the peach trees in plain sight on Friday.  I'm sure mom was near by and not happy at the decision. 

1401087768_Screenshot_20220725-231835_Messages2.thumb.jpg.c166494b46e121ae30a9e0f23ad6a189.jpg

• Like 3

I mounted the best set of shed antlers I found this spring today.  Skull cap is a fake unit for that sort of thing. It scored about 144” using a guess for width.

41657F84-FEEB-4B0E-B8E2-8CA93081A960.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I'm happy with the new spot, put a cam up 2 hours before this picScreenshot_20220731-200737_COMMAND.jpg.a824a7ba31252c16f306dba5c8aaddb3.jpg

As long as he isn't saying the heck with this I'm out of here because of hunter intrusion 😁

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bitty said:

As long as he isn't saying the heck with this I'm out of here because of hunter intrusion 😁

This was a few hours after the last pic, hard to tell but the first one does look like a different bigger oneScreenshot_20220801-042259_COMMAND.jpg.6ffbfa7efbff11235f300b2d1fb98109.jpgScreenshot_20220801-042322_COMMAND.jpg.f9c226b138c577d56a31db37b92263fb.jpg

• Like 3

Saw a pretty good one from the combine buddy seat today. I'd guess it is going to be 120+" 

• Like 1

Mowing some hay this evening and 5 deer following their normal routine didn't know what the do.  The ran past me.  Not a good pic but the rear one should be a good buck for around here.  Yes my hay is really short.  Rain was lacking for July and the heat was much more then normal.  Getting it off in hopes of a third cutting late September. 

20220810_194759.thumb.jpg.a95e19e0ccc18da470aba759afc494cd.jpg

Well a nice 100 degree day and the first day of rifle season for Pacific Coast Black Tail deer, buck only with a fork big enough to hang a ring from. I have no idea how many zones Calify has for deer hunting anymore. This has always been zone A from San Francisco down the coastal mountains, till no more deer only people on the coast from LA to the border. Always been the earliest opening here, the second Saturday in August for 6 weeks. You are allowed 2 bucks. Hunter success is less than 30% to get one let alone two.  

Having family land and always leasing grazing land (which implied you could shoot on the property unless told other wise) I never had trouble getting one. It could be 25 years since I shot one now. Partly I got lazy to the cleaning and butchering, and my wife refuses to eat venison. With big push for grass fed beef, we found it is the grass fed part she doesn't like. There was one buck that was expectable many years ago. Found out way latter a guy was putting corn out so they did not push his half ass deer fence and eat his fruit trees so much.

Has been no shooting to speck of so far today. My son looked and saw nothing of interest but wild hogs. He has one tag for here and one for right on the Oregon border which can be  Black Tail or Mule deer, and once in very great while a hybrid.

Time to go check water so the does and fawns can come right to the house and get leaves from the sucker on a plum tree as well as a drink.

• Like 2

One for next year or the year after. But a yearling coming right to the house well after sun up. Many of the deer seem to like a little container over drinking 150 yards out in pasture from the big cattle trough.

The nephews got one Saturday evening, no report on how big so my guess is not to big. 

IMG_2164 (2).JPG

• Like 2