Spray Rigs

Over this past year it has come to my attention that a sprayer upgrade is a must before going into next year. I’m just don’t know what to go with as all my previous spraying has been done with a tractor and a few times clearance had been an issue I’d like to have at least a 50ft boom no less than 200 gallon tank as on a normal I probably spray 600 acres and under bad conditions no more than 1200 a year. I’ve looked at a couple spra coupe 230s but all too far off if I knew I could change tires and get enough clearance out of a tractor I’d set up a tractor just for spraying I’d like to stay with a mounted sprayer if staying with a tractor as well. So what’s all the smaller guys using for sprayers if it’s a tractor let’s see some pics.  Thanks

if you are going to make your own or buy something from what I have seen around here (not sure waht part of the country you are from) you have to be mindful of stobs from mowing with the BIG WIDE tire units for flotation and soft ground because you cant run the thinner tire units over the wet stuff very well. 

most run wider tires vs thinner around here for row crop stuff 

budget will dictate likely where you want to go in this case 

I would just say that a 230 Spra Coupe is pretty crude by today’s standards. I help my neighbor work on his 3630 Coupe some. It’s not a bad machine, but most of them are so crusty by now, it’s hard to find a good one. All the smaller guys here are hiring their spraying done. Is that an option? We had 60’ “X” fold three point booms years ago with 400 gallon saddle tanks. I thought we got along good with it. We had it on a 4440. I’m not sure if there’s many good options anymore as most of the smaller stuff is so old now. 

My cousin uses a Polaris pioneer and pulls a 250-300 gallon sprayer on tandem axles.

he mounted a raven unit to it and sprays about 1500 acres, usually before the big guys can’t even get in the fields. 

not what you’re looking for but thought I’d share

Around here the 2 major company's can't keep up. Not for lack of machines but support staff. Most of the BTO's have there own ,cases or deers. Ro gaters are getting phased out. Us smaller guys are using tow behinds. 500 -1000 gal. units.I use a 856 hi-clear and a Hardi 600 gal . with 60' booms , you can cover a lot of ground in a day running 3rd hi direct.

Hiring it done isn’t an option it’s a good 20 miles from me to him and in this day in time certain tings need to be sprayed within a timely manner not a few days later if that. As far as a spra coupe goes being crude the thought of getting an ol 600 Deere has crossed my mind more than once not having a cab is the main reason I keep putting that idea to the side. 

We have a Topair 1100 gallon with 60' x fold booms.  I used to pull it with the 966, now i use the 826. I have never and will never fill it full, but it is nice to carry 800 gallon to spray 20 gal/acre on the dry beans and cover our biggest field without refilling.  We didnt pay that much, $6500 for it and it came with a raven 450 controller. We love the setup, might go to a 90' if we found the right one. I always thought i wanted 3pt booms with saddle tanks, but wouldnt have the capacity that we do now. We also dont have the cumbersome tanks on the tractor all summer. 

I guess if a 600 Deere might work a 230 would be quite a step up from that. I have an IH 660 sprayer that is similar to that Deere. I used it to spray tobacco and I couldn’t imagine covering 1,200 acres in that. In my opinion a 3430 or 3630 would be a lot better than a 220 or 230. 

IH 5088 with saddle tanks, repurposed 60 foot Blumhardt truck sprayer booms on the 3 point. PTO pump and a Micro-trak auto rate controller. 3 section shut offs. Built it all myself with parts I've bought over the years. I think it's been "rebuilt" in 3 different configurations, I finally like how it's set up.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it.

My brother has a Top Air 600 gallon 3 point sprayer with 80 ft. booms that he puts on his MX305.  I don't think I have any pictures of his but below is a similar model that I found on the internet.  Before this he had a Top Air 1,000 gallon pull behind sprayer.

It isn't ideal at only 600 gallon.  Not a huge deal but you don't run as much over on the end rows when turning around and he does have pretty good clearance.  I think when he upgrades again he really wants to go to a self propelled rig.  When he got this he wanted to update to newer/better booms and this was a good option in his price range at the time.

600-gallon-sprayer.jpg

I too would like to upgrade my sprayer. I run a walsh 500 gallon pull type with manual fold 45' booms. I run alot of smaller fields so I am happy with the size, but I have to go to hydraulic fold. I'm either going to convert my booms to hydraulic or upgrade sprayers.  I'm still kicking myself for not buying my bil's hardy 2 years ago. It was all rebuilt with new nozzles, pump, and all. At the time he wanted 7k for it and I thought it was too steep. He let it go for 5k and had I known i would have owned it. Sorry I'm no help but I would love to see any pictures that guys have made booms fold. Mine are front fold with the last section fold overs.