International C Series Truck Questions

leeave96

How were the C series IH trucks of the 60’s compared to the more boxey trucks that came in ‘69 and into the 70’s?

Were they rust buckets or a fairly reliable truck?  How is the parts situation with them?

Thinking about an older 2 wheel drive pickup, just for kicks, to knock around in and around the farm.

Any sage thoughts and advice on these pickups are most appreciated.

Thanks!

I opp out cause I could not get brake drums , or caliper and rotors for it . I was going tow tractor and trailer , got to stop , prioritized 

• 1 month later...

I was around IHC pickups from 1964 until 1989.  The C series was a better vehicle than the D series.  I had a B series that I really liked. My first new one was a 1200D, new in June of 70, still mechanically reliable but the body seamed to be made of lighter gauge steel with a lot of unibody aspects.  (little pieces spot welded together appeared to have very little rust prevention).  My last one was a 1100D Travelal, got rid of in 89. Same rust issues as the 1200D.  I had the 345 V8 in the 70 and the 304 V8 in the 69.  By far the best engines I have had since IHC quite making gas powered truck motors!

.....Australian  "C" series   Circa 1967

.....the truck with the trailer and discs , I brought new in 1967   One great feature was the 12 inch disc brakes on every corner wheel...That truck could go..but it could stop very quickly....

...the other two pics were taken at a tractor show.....to prove to  an indignant, unbelieving forum member...that indeed the trucks had disc brakes on all four wheels...He figured the Australians were far to backward to come up with this innovation ..when the US built tracks were still on drum brakes...this some years gone.....

Mike

post-157-1205810747.jpg

post-157-1205810866.jpg

post-157-1172129531  c1100 discs.jpg

post-157-1205810601.jpg

post-157-1205810644.jpg

• Like 1

Disk brakes were not an option in California in June 1970 when I bought my 1200D all wheel drive.  Believe the fronts were disk in 1972 the rears never.  I am not sure IHC ever had a truck with rear disks except possibly school buses. Exactly where do you find parts for obsolete vehicles way down under.

I spent 2 weeks in Fremantle in 1975, that is the port city for Perth.  Several thousand Auses waited in line to visit an American War Ship!, Local TV Stations put us on the nightly news. Citizens waved us goodby when we left for Africa. 

2 hours ago, oleman said:

Disk brakes were not an option in California in June 1970 when I bought my 1200D all wheel drive.  Believe the fronts were disk in 1972 the rears never.  I am not sure IHC ever had a truck with rear disks except possibly school buses. Exactly where do you find parts for obsolete vehicles way down under.

I spent 2 weeks in Fremantle in 1975, that is the port city for Perth.  Several thousand Auses waited in line to visit an American War Ship!, Local TV Stations put us on the nightly news. Citizens waved us goodby when we left for Africa. 

Oleman......back in those days   Kiwi's and Aussie's  remembered what America  meant to  'us ....Joe Average ""  down under... despite the Veitnam fiasco....(both countries  suffered many casulties in that conflict...)...however with the rise  of ''Anti _ American "  sentiment...brought about by profesional   ''excrement   stirring  pieces of left wing flotsam  ''.....that caused major issues  with US Navy visiting NZ...because of the ''nuclear  reactor's ''...percieved by the great unwashed...to be in the bowels of these Naval Craft......thus the US  Navy does not grace our shores any longer.......More's the pity

There was a well reported incident ..on the West Coast of the US....as I recall...where several NZ Ships were exercising  with the American Military....the ''Boss ' of the NZ Naval unit  sent a message to his US counterpart..requesting permission to bring in  his (NZ)  Fossil Feul powered    ships..... in a deliberate slap at the stupidity of the NZ Socailist Govt  of the day....It was well reported in NZ ...with considerable mirth, aimed at those idiots in power..None the less...they  killed   off the ANZUS  treaty group.....(Australia New Zealand United States)...despite the extensive and angry protestations of the many war veterans ...and the New Zealand public  who were able to think for themselves....Just bloody absurd..

Re the topic  (!!)..I would imagine parts for any Aussie built, IH  trucks...of which I had several big ones , would be like rocking horse excrement

Mike

(I would like to comment on another ''Joe Average"...but I guess that would incur trouble....:ph34r: )