New opportunities ahead

bitty

Wow.  Wishing you success at the sale and in the future.  

• Thanks 1

Managing a herd that size takes a lot of commitment so i am sure you will find something else to commit yourself too. When we sold Gehl equipment there were dozens of dairies around the county,now i can only think of four. Good luck with your sale and future.

• Thanks 1

BTDT twice. Sold the milking herd in Jan 2015, kept the heifers and started milking again in Sept 2015. Wasn't ready to quit then.

Sold almost as many milkers as I sold in 2015, in March 2018, kept youngstock until they were ready to calve, out of Holstein business in Dec 2020. I was ready that time. Cows take all your time and ask for more.

Good luck with the sale, and future endeavors. I know you'll stay busy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck in new endeavors! Same thing just happened here last month. All the cows and dairy facilities are sold to neighboring dairy. Will provide feed for them still as well as custom farm so additional acres for them. Everything is kind of in flux right now. 
Milk prices are temporarily good and with DFA if you want to expand having a base from another DFA member to buy is key. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I seen Adam’s post last night on fb, was kinda shocked. It’s a tough decision to make. I made it 10 years ago, I miss it everyday still, but don’t miss the political bs that runs the dairy industry. I don’t have enough ground to grain farm so it was off farm work along with the farm tire business I started in 2015. Good luck with the future endeavors. There’s only 3 dairy farms left in my township when there use to be 20-25

• Thanks 1

My FIL got out the fall of '03 and was worried how he would make it. It all turned out good, he raised beef until April of last year, now just cash cropping. You wont miss it while you are spending time with the family a lot more often. 

Are you just getting out of animals or hanging up all of the farming?

1 hour ago, JaredT said:

My FIL got out the fall of '03 and was worried how he would make it. It all turned out good, he raised beef until April of last year, now just cash cropping. You wont miss it while you are spending time with the family a lot more often. 

Are you just getting out of animals or hanging up all of the farming?

Only getting rid of the need to milk three times a day. We plan on some beef and crop farm. Possibly mix up some other stuff with it 

Seeing that haybine and hearing on the news about the drought in other parts of the country, that might be added income to get into. We had dairy for 25 years or so. When dad sold the cows, that is the first vacation he had since WWII. He got 2 miniature horses and kept busy doing what ever he wanted to do, or not do.

Enjoy the change of pace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good luck with your plans 

• Thanks 1

Good luck with your new direction,  Bitty.  I remember how liberating it was in 1995 when we sold out of the Farrow to Finish hog business.  I will be excited to see what new adventures you share with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems kinda odd that they got rid of the native American selling dairy products, the African Americans selling pancake makings and rice but kept that old white dude selling oats?

Bitty I will you well for your future endeavors!

Rick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I hope the auction goes well for you guys. Your cows are parlor and free stall trained and the components look good so they should bring a good premium.

• Thanks 1

The old saying was fellows lock up your daughters so and so is on the prowl again. Now it is going to be fellows lock up your 450's Bitty is on the prowl again.

• Haha 7

Tim, the Best for your future!

Maybe ...BITTY'S  Custom WELDING & Manufacturing

• Thanks 1

Good luck with the transition to having no dairy. I suggest being good to yourself the week of the sale to take your mind off it. the decision for your family must have been very difficult. 

I don't remember seeing a 130 in your threads .....you must have one🤠

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hillman said:

Good luck with the transition to having no dairy. I suggest being good to yourself the week of the sale to take your mind off it. the decision for your family must have been very difficult. 

I don't remember seeing a 130 in your threads .....you must have one🤠

I wouldn't kick a 130 out of the stable but I haven't actively seeked one. Of course the stable is pretty (over)full 😁

Good luck on your new adventures. Surprising sometimes you just need a change. We bought a few cows 15 pairs . still farm a few acres and put up some hay it is nice to have somewhat  regular hours. God was shining his light on us. If crop is half respectable this fall my brother and I should have enough cash in hand to fund operating out of pocket. Sad thing is when we were making plans and decisions in 2020 a couple of bad or not thought out decisions ended up costing us about 110,000 to straighten out.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1