Wife thinks this is funny

sandhiller

Yes they certainly have gotten taller! I don't blame you for using the ladder! Only good thing I will say about GM/ Chev is they now put a step in the side of the box and the corner of the rear bumper. I could benefit from both on my Ram .so far I am spry enough to get onto the tire and then over the side of the box when necessary.  I would say the Fords appear to be taller than a Ram tho.

• Like 1

In the end I always end up laughing about it or getting used to it, but I really curse some newer Duramaxes that I work on, need a step ladder to just find the oil fill and dipstick on a 17 Duramax with a mild lift, and then the hood has a bulge that makes pouring from a 5 gallon pail almost impossible, I've almost always has 2wd trucks, and I appreciate my 2002 Silverado 4x2, I can almost reach the center of the box reaching over the side

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Maybe they’ve got a big crop coming and they just want to make less trips to the elevator this fall with those tall sides. You could probably get 100 bushel on there without the side boards. 

Built in "hungry boards"?

• Like 1

I'm only 5'5" so crawling into the box of the '14 Ram 1 ton is a challenge so I broke down and mounted a movable step on the rear bumper. Easy to pull out and bump right back up under the bumper when done. And I'm still limber enough to step up on the tire and reach most of what I want from the box.  But none of it is getting any easier as I get older. 

• Like 4

Mines even worse with the 2” lift blocks in the back and the headache rack with box rails. Plus side is when I go shopping no one can see what’s in the box lol. Sometimes makes loading the quads and snowmobiles interesting though. 

E0A2D5C7-7E6C-45C6-94E1-6DA591C96EFA.jpeg

• Like 2

Why carry a step ladder, I just carried a garden hoe, or a garden rake to reach in and move whatever it was that I needed to the side where I could pick it up, or back to the tailgate, where you could either let the tailgate down, or just reach over it, and pick it up.

The 2008 Super Duty I had came with the built in ladder in the tailgate, but it was useless when hooking up, or unhooking a gooseneck, or, for that matter, accessing the bed when you had ANY trailer attached.  And IT WAS a pain in the ass to get in and out to hook/unhook the chains and safety pin to keep the hitch from bouncing off the ball, so yes, a step stool was handy for doing that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Mines even worse with the 2” lift blocks in the back and the headache rack with box rails. Plus side is when I go shopping no one can see what’s in the box lol. Sometimes makes loading the quads and snowmobiles interesting though. 

E0A2D5C7-7E6C-45C6-94E1-6DA591C96EFA.jpeg

I got the 2 inch leveling kit in mine too. What a difference from hooking up my 02 or dad's 94 lol. I used to jump over the sides to hook the gooseneck. Now I use the jack as a step and crawl on the tailgate and into the box lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, db1486 said:

I got the 2 inch leveling kit in mine too. What a difference from hooking up my 02 or dad's 94 lol. I used to jump over the sides to hook the gooseneck. Now I use the jack as a step and crawl on the tailgate and into the box lol

lol same here the 94 dodge is a heck of a lot easier to get into. I kind of startled a guy one time, we were filling up the slip tank at our bulk supplier at the time and he was working the nozzle. We were just standing there and I just jumped over the side of the box to keep a eye on the fuel level in the tank. He looked up and said good grief remind me not to get into a bar fight with you 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Why carry a step ladder,

And IT WAS a pain in the ass to get in and out to hook/unhook the chains and safety pin to keep the hitch from bouncing off the ball, so yes, a step stool was handy for doing that.

Exactly why for the ladder.

The 4X4s do seem to have gotten very high. I use a wheel step to do any work on mine. It's a HF one and seems as good as any. My bigger trucks either have a tilt nose or a plow frame to stand on.

When I park next to a similar Ford it's even higher. Is it some sort of contest?

• Like 1

I love my Chevy's but my buddies brother managed a fleet of service trucks in the north, they figured they saved $100,000 a year switching to Fords from bottoming out in rough spots and tearing out lines on the bowties and yes it pains me to write that

• Like 2

The manufacturers figured out that taller trucks look cool so the started building them that way. For a while the f350 dually was lower because it was assumed they were used more for towing rather than showing… I don’t think that’s the case today. But they did start building the f250 lower with the aluminum bodies. Recent spy photos show box side steps on the upcoming fords. I like trucks tall, but it becomes a problem when you want to pull a gooseneck that was built in the 90’s!!

• Like 2