Echo chainsaws

acem

On 7/20/2022 at 11:47 AM, acem said:

I got on echo's website looking around and it turns out a small tractor dealer 30 minutes away is a servicing dealer. I don't do business with them, they only do small utility imported tractors, but I know a mechanic there. He's pretty good. Thx-Ace 

Now that your sawmill is shipping, any update on what you have decided with the saws?  I think you will be pretty happy with the Echo products, but keep us updated on how this works out.

Bee keeper, I came across, came out to get a wandering hive and had a little Echo. 1 pull start! He said it was and had been a good machine. Some Japanese machine with English branding.  Home Depot or Lowes sells them.

Personally I use an electric 115V 12A machine, 16" bar. It will operate off  the inverter in the RV. It came from the company that makes all the Chinese, Oregon brand stuff in Portland Or.

I had one tree that was dead, in my back yard, that is the only time I have cut with it.  I saved $600 over the PROFESSIONAL tree removal peoples estimate.

I am old and cheap.

Very stelfy, basically no noise from 10 feet away.  Is it worth anything? Who knows! But there are no batteries or pistons.

I bought a used echo cs400 for now. It's more of a limbing saw. I still plan to get a cs590 or similar soon.

I just keep hoping a very good big stihl with will come up for sale cheap. Maybe a 660 with 36" bar in like new condition for $400. Yeah, that's not going to happen!

Thx-Ace 

7 hours ago, acem said:

Found one on Craigslist for $700. It looks well used.

Your call entirely, but some people swear by the clone saws. Me personally I wouldn’t touch one for a lot of reasons, but those who do claim to have big brand performance for 20% of factory. 
https://www.farmertec.com/?utm_source=mtdl_ggads&utm_medium=S_Brand_Huztl_model&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxIOXBhCrARIsAL1QFCaOl0hOFgiJfk6ajc7DPWpNtikt3AodcTpqKt_hTJ5XShUcC6Od4SsaAvJPEALw_wcB

1ADBA322-4306-4C9E-AB12-D421C0C8FA64.png

90DA4434-FA1D-461E-9693-B33C130D1158.png

I have always found Echo to be sluggish but fairly reliable. I used to have Husky saws, last two good ones were a 288xp and a 262xp. Then I had a couple limbing little, homeowner grade Huskys that were next to worthless. Hard starting, unreliable. I then bought a 660 Stihl about 10 years ago and I have never had to work on it. It starts every time, will cut wood all day, tank after tank. Recently bought a little battery Stihl for the wife to mess around with limbs and stuff. Great little saw. Plasticky but working great! 

I have had poor luck with the little huskies I had. It kinda soured me on them.

A friend bought a  stihl knockoff. 038? I'm curious to see how it works out.

I'm told the echos really wake up if you modify the muffler and then retune the carburetor. Apparently they have a catalytic converter that is quite restrictive.

Thx-Ace 

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have a friend of mine up here in N. Central AR that builds a lot of saws and he speaks favorably of the Holzforma saws. They do need some tuning he says but there are a few timber cutters in this area using them. He also builds Husky's and Stihls and has a few for sale from time to time. PM if you'd like me to put you in touch with him.

As far as Echo's go, local hardware store is a servicing dealer, I bought a small saw from them (can't remember #) several years ago and liked it. It always started and ran when I needed it to. Cut a lot of fence rows out with it and it was an excellent limbing saw. If I'm remembering right, I swapped that saw for a bunch of chickens a few years ago and the man that has it now cuts most of his firewood with it. They are a tough little saw for sure. I run Stihl stuff now, mostly used, and like it better, but someone that doesn't use a saw a lot would be hard pressed to tell a lot of difference in the two. 

Mac

In a nut shell there's two kinds of saws. 

——— Home owner————

( use it once in a while and it never runs because the gas is bad) 

———Pro series——————

always has premium fuel, frequent use , maintained well, built for it. 

Example,  Stihl Pro series saws are made in Germany. 
The ones on the shelf at Ace hardware    are not. 
There truly is a differance.

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

In a nut shell there's two kinds of saws. 

——— Home owner————

( use it once in a while and it never runs because the gas is bad) 

———Pro series——————

always has premium fuel, frequent use , maintained well, built for it. 

Example,  Stihl Pro series saws are made in Germany. 
The ones on the shelf at Ace hardware    are not. 
There truly is a differance.

Only  good Thing out of Germany is beer and scantily clad Fräuleins. Sweden on the other hand😉 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Your call entirely, but some people swear by the clone saws. Me personally I wouldn’t touch one for a lot of reasons, but those who do claim to have big brand performance for 20% of factory. 
https://www.farmertec.com/?utm_source=mtdl_ggads&utm_medium=S_Brand_Huztl_model&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxIOXBhCrARIsAL1QFCaOl0hOFgiJfk6ajc7DPWpNtikt3AodcTpqKt_hTJ5XShUcC6Od4SsaAvJPEALw_wcB

1ADBA322-4306-4C9E-AB12-D421C0C8FA64.png

90DA4434-FA1D-461E-9693-B33C130D1158.png

I have been researching that exact saw for milling.  They make clones of the older Stihls and Huskys.  They are coming up in quality and are a real bargain for what I want!  I will add a 36" bar and ripping chain.

Really @lorenzo, if you’re going to buy a saw, you should actually buy a real saw. 😁😉

B21A833E-A289-4C96-8661-672C311CDC9E.jpeg

538567C4-8C90-47F1-BA42-0ABCFCF73387.jpeg

Those are a great saw.  Just not as many dealers in my area or i would for sure  have a couple.

@lorenzo, seriously though, did you ever get a 500i? If so how did you find it? 

No sir,  never had one of those. 

When i feel the need to get out a monster saw (followed by a week of shoulder and back pain ) i get out my 090

DDE87040-1FB7-4B7C-9061-0ECDFA5FB02C.thumb.jpeg.509bc45ccd3cf12e11ee3de69a855acc.jpeg

• Like 3