Small Square Bale Accumulators

Cdfarabaugh

43 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Doesnt take a 4 year degree to realize the better you pay, the better candidates you get who will work hard, be on time, and be dependable.  I dont need people who make excuses.  When we grew potatoes we paid $12 an hour.  People showed up on ntime and stayed till we were done AND came back year after year retaining experience.  That's worth way more than the extra money we paid out

Our old hay buyer went to doing that.  Only bad thing theres LOTS of leaf loss getting pounded around like that.  But do horse people know any better? 

Also would love to do big bales but I'm still not keen with the moisture you need to get them down to to keep, and the amount of acid you have to douse them with being it went WAY up in price this year.  

Even the round bales we make if they're not nuclear dry they will get a bit funky inside not treated. 

I have not used any preservative but yes bigger and more efficient bales increases the lack of tolerance for moisture. I'd not mind a rebaler in a way especially a mini bale maker 

To “Horse People” Small squares are $250-300 a ton around here. I don’t know any big square guys well enough to know what they get. Round bales are free, in comparison.   I commonly pay $30-50/hr for guys to handle hay, and I handle every bale with them, doing the most physical or hottest placement part of the job myself, out of respect to them.  We do 450-625 bales an hour when unloading.  And they are all older guys, who don’t need the money. Younger guys, living on government assisted programs, can’t be bothered. 

6 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

You'd be surprised how many around here haven't figured out the 2 bale thing yet.

2 bales only?  Don’t show em this. They might have a coronary. 

FF4FB556-E8FA-4C28-8C55-4B6CFEC4A15B.jpeg

9CB4A848-1225-4CE5-AC98-96398F9FC09A.jpeg

F64764EB-D87A-4593-A15E-BFE831A5FA69.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, toyboy said:

Hay auction here sells by the ton so it doesn't matter what shape it's in.

It doesn't here 😀

Really, an auction for 4-5 bales to horse owners and hobby farmers? I said retail not wholesale. We set our own prices.

With the payloader above, there must be a small tractor or skid steer that runs around and stacks  the individual bales into the six bale piles? Local guy here stacks them three high with a small tractor and then runs around and lifts the three at a time with a bigger tractor onto the trailer. So it’s one guy on the small tractor, one guy on the big tractor, two guys hauling trailers, one on the baler, and another one unloading at the barn. I’ve never had that many guys on hand.

6 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

With the payloader above, there must be a small tractor or skid steer that runs around and stacks  the individual bales into the six bale piles? Local guy here stacks them three high with a small tractor and then runs around and lifts the three at a time with a bigger tractor onto the trailer. So it’s one guy on the small tractor, one guy on the big tractor, two guys hauling trailers, one on the baler, and another one unloading at the barn. I’ve never had that many guys on hand.

What we do when hauling round bales is after the first load on its way to the farm, the skid steer operator goes around the field and lines up bales 8 and 7 in a row.  Our hay trailer holds 8 bales a row on the bottom and of course 7 on the top.  When the semi gets back he pulls up to a row and it literally only take a few minutes to load a row since the cycle time is low having only to go back/forth.  

10 hours ago, bitty said:

I have not used any preservative but yes bigger and more efficient bales increases the lack of tolerance for moisture. I'd not mind a rebaler in a way especially a mini bale maker 

Messicks has some neat rebailng equipment but i bet the square bale destroyer is approaching  $40000.  Mini bale market has done well for us but it is a ton of work.   I field baled close to 4000 mini straw bales this year.  I hope to cut down on the amount of rebaling this year.

8 hours ago, stronger800 said:

To “Horse People” Small squares are $250-300 a ton around here. I don’t know any big square guys well enough to know what they get. Round bales are free, in comparison.   I commonly pay $30-50/hr for guys to handle hay, and I handle every bale with them, doing the most physical or hottest placement part of the job myself, out of respect to them.  We do 450-625 bales an hour when unloading.  And they are all older guys, who don’t need the money. Younger guys, living on government assisted programs, can’t be bothered. 

You guys are hustling.  It takes my son and I a couple hours to unload and stack away 500 bales off the wagons.  

I like the analogy quality small squares are retail vs larger bales wholesale.  We definitely see that at the local auctions here.  Many people don't have a way to move or handle large bales.

I’d love an accumulator setup of some sort but all storage has to be hand stacked currently so that’s out. On the large bale vs small not everyone has equipment to handle large bales. But anyone can handle small bales 

Matt

We have actually had requests to make lighter bales in recent years. They are apparently all sold by a bale in Florida ($18-20 a bale I Think is common) and at the horse show and horse race events throughout  the Northeast, and apparently the help there does not want to lift a heavy object. They can charge their people just as much, and give them less. I don’t like to make it lighter bale, because it makes an awful lot of them to handle, wagons and barns fill up fast. I’ve heard that the lighter bakes do not work well at all with the accumulator grapple type modern equipment, and it seems to be what you guys are staying here as well. 

11 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Depends.  The wheel loader is perfectly capable of getting six in a stack by itself, and in a pasture like that it will do so more quickly than a skid steer.  Skid steer, if it is out there, will make stacks of three.  

My personal method for getting bales off the field is with 3 16’ hay racks hooked together, a loader tractor, and a Bergman hitch.  Can load and unload by myself all day and never get out of the tractor.

3 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Depends.  The wheel loader is perfectly capable of getting six in a stack by itself, and in a pasture like that it will do so more quickly than a skid steer.  Skid steer, if it is out there, will make stacks of three.  

My personal method for getting bales off the field is with 3 16’ hay racks hooked together, a loader tractor, and a Bergman hitch.  Can load and unload by myself all day and never get out of the tractor.

Bergman hitch?  Any pictures or can you enlighten me on what that is?  Based on your description of loading all day without getting out of the tractor I understand the purpose and have a good idea of how it works, but I've never heard that name and am curious.

22 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

Bergman hitch?  Any pictures or can you enlighten me on what that is?  Based on your description of loading all day without getting out of the tractor I understand the purpose and have a good idea of how it works, but I've never heard that name and am curious.

https://www.bergmanmfg.com/info.html

They work awesome.  Neighbor uses these to pull paired 650 bushel wagons to town behind an 8X20 Deere.  They do get out and plug in lights and put the lock pin in the hitch latch.