Tractor tire brands

KyIH

The tires on my hydro 186 finally gave out so I’m pricing a new set. Firestone and Titan are about the same price roughly 1000 per tire. Both are 8 ply bias tires. I also priced some malhotra 14 ply from gensco for about the same price. Any thoughts on these or other brands?

I only buy Firestone when possible. You must have priced field and roads or sat II . I prefer radial all traction 23 for long life . I have found that cheap tires cost much more in the end, sometimes by a lot 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Check BTK, Mitas, and Michelin. How much road running you do with it? If limited I wouldn't worry about the Firestone SAT tires. They have a narrower bar than the radials, but you don't need radials on a Hydro. Their not tillage tractors

For these times that's not bad on the firestones if they are sat 2's and a big if you can find them. I'm wanting to say a couple months ago 1250 was the going price around here if you could find them and 1000 for bkt's and they seemed to have them

I'm happy with my Interco off road tires on my truck & will be looking into their offerings when I go tractor tire shopping. Not much of a testimonial, I know. Just thought of adding that name to the fray as an option for you to look into.

Mike

1 hour ago, bitty said:

I only buy Firestone when possible. You must have priced field and roads or sat II . I prefer radial all traction 23 for long life . I have found that cheap tires cost much more in the end, sometimes by a lot 

Ditto re Firestone, though this spring we bought 2 BKT rears for the Ford 4000. Like them so far.

If the choice is Firestone, Titan or Malhotra - I’d take the Firestone, Titan would be second and a very distant third would be Malhotra. I have completely given up on cheap tractor and implement tires. The cheap tires are by far the most expensive in the long run. The only way I would have a set of tires I never heard of is if it was all I can get. I also had some supposedly super heavy duty tires that I bought from Gensco for our feed grinder. They came mounted on a rim with tire sealant already in them. I had nothing but flat tires out of them. I haven’t ordered anything since from them. Mitas is a good tire if it’s available. The ones I have bought lately have been USA made. Michelin would be another good choice. 

• Like 2

This tractor gets zero road miles and no tillage. Mostly 3 point work and mowing. It seems that everyone here is recommending radials. Are they going to hold up better? 

9 minutes ago, KyIH said:

This tractor gets zero road miles and no tillage. Mostly 3 point work and mowing. It seems that everyone here is recommending radials. Are they going to hold up better? 

I don’t think radials are necessary for what you’re talking about. I just personally have had terrible experience with those off brand tires on tractors that do any work. 

On a heavy tractor that sees a heavy draft load its hard to beat firestones. On a light tractor however, I think the firestone side wall is too heavy and the tires seem too stiff. The ride quality will suffer when compared to something like a mitas or Michelin that seems to have a softer side wall. The downside to those brands are that it seems like the side wall will give out before the tread is gone. Just a few observations.

IMHO Firestone 23 degree all traction radial top choice if you want the best tire.  I know guys are bashing them but we have been using SAT 2 on our bedding tractors for years.  Priced right seem to last lots of gravel driveways and concrete.  High chance of casualty.  We have had a bunch that have been patched 4-5 times and we still worn them out.  Not many have needed tubes.  We have also used quite a few BKT which as mike mentioned are not nearly as heavy in the sidewall.  We are running Michelin on all our high use field tractors but now you can’t hardly get one and the price is out of this world.  Mitas  is like a continental very thin sidewall.  I would not recommend Michelin in this application.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KyIH said:

Radials especially in the 2star ratings will out last  bias ply 2-1 in my experience 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

IMHO Firestone 23 degree all traction radial top choice if you want the best tire.  I know guys are bashing them but we have been using SAT 2 on our bedding tractors for years.  Priced right seem to last lots of gravel driveways and concrete.  High chance of casualty.  We have had a bunch that have been patched 4-5 times and we still worn them out.  Not many have needed tubes.  We have also used quite a few BKT which as mike mentioned are not nearly as heavy in the sidewall.  We are running Michelin on all our high use field tractors but now you can’t hardly get one and the price is out of this world.  Mitas  is like a continental very thin sidewall.  I would not recommend Michelin in this application.  

We have a set of bkt duals and fronts new last fall on the one magnum. They have as much traction in four-by as a set of Firestone 23° radials in two wheel drive 

2 minutes ago, KyIH said:

Would a cheaper, say alliance radial be a better option over a bias Firestone?

Cheaper is cheaper in all my experience. Different soils like different tread patterns

This could turn into an oil thread. 

My .02. 

Sat 2 is ok if not really using the tractor on the road much. 

23* sat Firestone is good

BKT is another good one for occasional use. IMO

I'm on my 3rd set of Mitas radials. I absolutely love them. They are the old continentals. Bil has a puma with same exact tires branded continental. I have asked a few dairyman and they love them as well. Last I checked you can pick up a set around $900 ish and that's a radial. The tread is similar to a firestone deep tread. That's my vote. 

22 minutes ago, KyIH said:

Would a cheaper, say alliance radial be a better option over a bias Firestone?

No.  In my experience Firestone makes one of the best bias tires out there, a Firestone bias probably being all around a better tire than a cheap radial.  But I for my needs I will never consider a bias tire other than maybe for the mixer wagon tractor, and beyond that Firestone is not at the top of my list for radial tires; not for my needs anyway.  I place a large emphasis on the ability to cushion rough ground and ride smooth on the road.  The best tractor I have for that has Pirellis on the front and BKTs on the rear.  The worst has Goodyears all around.  Tire size is a major factor here though.

Thanks for the replies. This is almost as good as an oil thread. Just to rule them out, does a heavier ply tire have any benefit or is that just their only selling point?

10 minutes ago, KyIH said:

Thanks for the replies. This is almost as good as an oil thread. Just to rule them out, does a heavier ply tire have any benefit or is that just their only selling point?

Heavier and it is somewhat more durable. Doesn't flex quite as much. If loaded heavy light ply tires will show issues much quicker than the proper tire for the load