4020 Unbelievable

hobbyfarm

31 minutes ago, TomH said:

After you pick up the 4020 you can add this H to your fleet…..0552A679-5E51-49FB-9532-A4D21C95F4A1.thumb.jpeg.250992b34ba4eab8d452f0afa5189efa.jpeg

There was a time you were envy of the neighborhood if you had a belly mount on a H. Dad had a arstway on his H we had it on a super M for a year. The neighbor had the exact same mower on a H then mounted it on a 350. But only 2 guide wheels. The poor people had the 9 n fords with a 3 pt finish mower and the prosperous had a grasshopper zero turn. The Dixon and other brands were more light duty but in the early 80s a belly mower on a old ihc was the best way to maintain a big yard. The neighbor had a d14 allis with a woods mower it was a rare sight around here. Then a lot more A and C ih with 5 ft mowers.

1 hour ago, Binderoid said:

When you said side console l got the impression you weren’t real enamored with it. I had a 3020 with the dash levers and I thought it was not my favorite haybine tractor. I very much disliked not being able to reach  the lever on the left side of the tractor while turned around to the right to watch the haybine, in those instances where it is necessary to lift it and then drop the cutterbar precisely in the bare spot. Side console would have been much easier.  But I suppose if I had grown up with the tractor I would have devised some timing method to where I didn’t have to stare at the towed implement.

No I like it.  I pointed it out because any time a 4020 3020 is advertised it is usually made a big deal out of by the advertiser.  Fed a lot of cows with A 3020 with a 158 loader that had remotes on dash.  Thought it worked well because when you got to mixer you could dump loader with one hand and shift with the other. That tractor was on of the special ones ( worn out) that you could get the extra reverse in the 4 th 7 th quadrant.   For  field work side console is definitely better.  

2 hours ago, Binderoid said:

When you said side console l got the impression you weren’t real enamored with it. I had a 3020 with the dash levers and I thought it was not my favorite haybine tractor. I very much disliked not being able to reach  the lever on the left side of the tractor while turned around to the right to watch the haybine, in those instances where it is necessary to lift it and then drop the cutterbar precisely in the bare spot. Side console would have been much easier.  But I suppose if I had grown up with the tractor I would have devised some timing method to where I didn’t have to stare at the towed implement.

Growing up with something is the key.  As a boy I had to drive JD's, Oliver's, Massey Harris, and Case's among others.  I could go from tractor to tractor pretty readily.  Much harder to adapt when you are 40 and have only run one brand up until then.

2 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

I have thought that a belly mower on a "C" would be just the thing.

Had a c with a belly mower years ago. I liked it but we planted a bunch of trees ect and it was too big after a few years to get between a lot of things. The woods mower was offset to the side to get up to stuff without running over it. That meant the other wheel was running over unmoved grass. Not a big deal usually but you couldn't mow close to stuff on that side.

2 hours ago, Paystar5000 said:

That tractor was on of the special ones ( worn out) that you could get the extra reverse in the 4 th 7 th quadrant.

We have a very worn 4230 synchro range that will go right in 3rd reverse. I never understood why third reverse was blocked on synchro range tractors, but if you had a quad range they let you use “C” range reverse. 

4 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

10,000 in 1984 dollars would be pretty comparable to 30,000 now. 

Dad's D21 sold for 3000 or less in 1985 ish and the 7060 brought less than 6 iirc. Both were way more tractor than a 4020. Dad bought a 65' 4020 new so we had both.

Extremely few 4020's were bringing 10,000 dollars in 1984.  Up until very recently very few were bringing 20,000 dollars or more.  

29 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Extremely few 4020's were bringing 10,000 dollars in 1984.  Up until very recently very few were bringing 20,000 dollars or more.  

I would hope not and that was kinda my point.......would have still been very expensive  and over priced in 1984 at 10.

1 minute ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I would hope not and that was kinda my point.......would have still been very expensive  and over priced in 1984 at 10.

The one up the road was perhaps one of the nicest 4020's around and most likely nicer than nearly all the Midwest 4020's that could have been bought then.  Far far far from being a run of the mill used tractor.  I cried then when I lacked the cash and when I saw it last Friday I still got a heaviness in my heart about it.  That tractor was never abused or pushed and was always under cover when not in use.  

I have a real nice side console 856, 1967.

Neighbor has a side console 806, also made back in the 60's, weird guys aren't peeing their pants over these tractors that never put the lever on the dash to begin with!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, superih said:

I have a real nice side console 856, 1967.

Neighbor has a side console 806, also made back in the 60's, weird guys aren't peeing their pants over these tractors that never put the lever on the dash to begin with!

As an owner of both IH and JD tractors from the 60s, there are few things IH did that were dumb too.  But I just get used to it and move on.  The more I think about it, the more I would think IH guys would appreciate the pre side console JD tractors since IH went with a split console on the 86 series:)  

47 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

As an owner of both IH and JD tractors from the 60s, there are few things IH did that were dumb too.  But I just get used to it and move on.  The more I think about it, the more I would think IH guys would appreciate the pre side console JD tractors since IH went with a split console on the 86 series:)  

Nope, spent many hours on a "side console" 4020, you can keep them!  Noisy hydraulic pump, crappy controls and a seat that was sized for a midget!  A pine bench is better than that crap master seat they came up with!

51 minutes ago, superih said:

Nope, spent many hours on a "side console" 4020, you can keep them!  Noisy hydraulic pump, crappy controls and a seat that was sized for a midget!  A pine bench is better than that crap master seat they came up with!

X2 on the seat.  It was too short, not enough support under the thighs.  Dad's 2520 had chattering brakes, too.  I liked the console, though.  Best console I ever saw was on the Minnie Mo Vista.