4020 Unbelievable

hobbyfarm

Not my wife but my mother this time sending me stuff.  For sale locally.  What do you think?  I say nuts.

Screenshot_20220716-174014_Messages~2.jpg

• Haha 1

Come on it’s a side console!! With new rear tires!! Do they actually sell for those prices?  It’s three times new.  I have run a few 4020/3020.  Never seen one that was not well worn in.   They were popular and well liked here.  I thinK I would buy one and do my own reconditioning before I paid that kind of money.  There is a guy east of here that sells older deeres that always have ridiculously low hours and ridiculous price tags.  Stronger 800 might know who I’m talking about.  

We have some tractors that are one owner, but that doesn’t mean they’re not worn out. I think it would have to be in exceptional condition to get that price. If it was a power shift and had HFWD and was in good shape I could see it, but just an average tractor, I doubt it. I doubt if you’d have any trouble finding a pretty good 4440 for that money. 

19 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

We have some tractors that are one owner, but that doesn’t mean they’re not worn out. I think it would have to be in exceptional condition to get that price. If it was a power shift and had HFWD and was in good shape I could see it, but just an average tractor, I doubt it. I doubt if you’d have any trouble finding a pretty good 4440 for that money. 

That is what I said.  For $30000 one could get into a lot of different  machines.

• Like 1

Uncle paid similar for one, side console, etc......BUT, it was his dad's,  bought new then traded on a 4430, and he wanted it back.....so that's justifiable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paystar5000 said:

Come on it’s a side console!! With new rear tires!! Do they actually sell for those prices?  It’s three times new.  I have run a few 4020/3020.  Never seen one that was not well worn in.   They were popular and well liked here.  I thinK I would buy one and do my own reconditioning before I paid that kind of money.  There is a guy east of here that sells older deeres that always have ridiculously low hours and ridiculous price tags.  Stronger 800 might know who I’m talking about.  

Yes I think so. Little west of me. I’ve never been to his place…..probably won’t. 

10 hours ago, Paystar5000 said:

There is a guy east of here that sells older deeres that always have ridiculously low hours and ridiculous price tags.  Stronger 800 might know who I’m talking about.  

Cazenovia area?

You see those kinds of prices on Tractorhouse but who knows what they actually sell for.  Lots of people out there with more money than common sense.  Also, we all know new paint hides a lot of problems.  I wish I could have bought the neighbor's low hour 1972 diesel 4020 back in 1984 that brought 10,000 dollars.  That would have been value.

16 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

One owner only used on Sundays 🤣

“... and I like to give it a 10 minute rest every half hour...”

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Binderoid said:

What is a side console?

Remotes and three point hitch are to your right instead on the dash in front of you.  It was changed about halfway through production run.  

4 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

Remotes and three point hitch are to your right instead on the dash in front of you.  It was changed about halfway through production run.  

Yes I don’t think of it that way but it was the last 4 years of production. Up here in central North Dakota the side counsel are rare. Farmers were buying more hp at that time. Lots of 4010, and up to 68 4020s but every newer one was imported from MN or eastern SD. There are a lot of minor updates on the later tractors to improve over the earlier ones. A lot of 4320 were around up here 45 and 4620s also. A late 3020 is on my bucket list one day.

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

You see those kinds of prices on Tractorhouse but who knows what they actually sell for.  Lots of people out there with more money than common sense.  Also, we all know new paint hides a lot of problems.  I wish I could have bought the neighbor's low hour 1972 diesel 4020 back in 1984 that brought 10,000 dollars.  That would have been value.

10,000 in 1984 dollars would be pretty comparable to 30,000 now. 

Dad's D21 sold for 3000 or less in 1985 ish and the 7060 brought less than 6 iirc. Both were way more tractor than a 4020. Dad bought a 65' 4020 new so we had both.

2 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

When you said side console l got the impression you weren’t real enamored with it. I had a 3020 with the dash levers and I thought it was not my favorite haybine tractor. I very much disliked not being able to reach  the lever on the left side of the tractor while turned around to the right to watch the haybine, in those instances where it is necessary to lift it and then drop the cutterbar precisely in the bare spot. Side console would have been much easier.  But I suppose if I had grown up with the tractor I would have devised some timing method to where I didn’t have to stare at the towed implement.

11 minutes ago, Binderoid said:

When you said side console l got the impression you weren’t real enamored with it. I had a 3020 with the dash levers and I thought it was not my favorite haybine tractor. I very much disliked not being able to reach  the lever on the left side of the tractor while turned around to the right to watch the haybine, in those instances where it is necessary to lift it and then drop the cutterbar precisely in the bare spot. Side console would have been much easier.  But I suppose if I had grown up with the tractor I would have devised some timing method to where I didn’t have to stare at the towed implement.

It is funny that JD had the hyd levers to the side and down on the Letter series through the 730 series like a 806 through 66 series ih. That they put hyd levers on that side is funny but that is where the valves were mounted ahead of dash. The late 4020 had a nice spot for levers but maybe a tad to far back. I can’t remember where other models like ac and Massey had their levers

1 minute ago, dale560 said:

I can’t remember where other models like ac and Massey had their levers

I believe the A-C 190/190XT and maybe the M-M G-1000 may have beat the side console John Deere to the market by a year or so.

As, I remember, both the A-C and Minneapolis models I mentioned came out before their smaller tractors did, although the D-21 Allis may have had the side mounted controls since the Series 1.

25 minutes ago, TomH said:

After you pick up the 4020 you can add this H to your fleet…..0552A679-5E51-49FB-9532-A4D21C95F4A1.thumb.jpeg.250992b34ba4eab8d452f0afa5189efa.jpeg

Here, let’s put a few more wheels ahead of blades. I can’t believe that there is any grass left standing to be cut.

Our series 3? D21 had long levers to the right of the seat similar to the levers on my 826. The 190s we had had a council to the right of the seat that had the throttle, power director,  hyd and 3 point controls on it.