Rain anyone?

Jacka

It’s drying out here, but subsoil moisture is still very good. We had a lot of rain earlier this spring and planting was somewhat delayed. The corn and beans here look very good. There’s a chance of rain tonight, which would be good because of the heat we’ve had. The hay crop isn’t anything special here, but there’s still plenty of grass in the pastures. 

We’ve been lucky here so far, our two farms are 35 miles apart and the crops are looking good. The corn is anywhere from 2’ tall to tasseling in between the two farms. We’ve gotten about an inch a week at both places, for the last 2 weeks. We have chances for tonight into tomorrow. 

Was dry until about a week ago and promptly flooded us with a down poor thunder storm...been drizzly with some nice sun breaks since then.Resized_20220710_184326.thumb.jpeg.c91ce7733fe94c3612e82c92986f0fd3.jpeg

Last Thursday, Weather Underground had "weather guessed" a whopping .03" inches of rain, went down to Ballinger to eat, came home and found that it had rained 8/10 of an inch, which upped this year's TOTAL to 6.15 inches.

BUT, my yard has NOT shown any sign of greening up.

2 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Last Thursday, Weather Underground had "weather guessed" a whopping .03" inches of rain, went down to Ballinger to eat, came home and found that it had rained 8/10 of an inch, which upped this year's TOTAL to 6.15 inches.

BUT, my yard has NOT shown any sign of greening up.

that stuff you call grass down there goes dormant this time of year so i wouldnt expect it to green up.🤪

10 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

It’s drying out here, but subsoil moisture is still very good. We had a lot of rain earlier this spring and planting was somewhat delayed. The corn and beans here look very good. There’s a chance of rain tonight, which would be good because of the heat we’ve had. The hay crop isn’t anything special here, but there’s still plenty of grass in the pastures. 

We can't seem to miss one lately. Around 11 inches since July 4. Hay is average that is when you dare mow any. Not complaining The heat is supposed to be bad next week. 

• Like 1

I'm about 50 miles north of @acem, and we've had no measurable rainfall since May 29th. Temps in the high 90's to 100 degrees. It was 88 last night at midnight, and we had a sprinkle of rain. Just enough to spot in the dust and dry before morning.

The old timers used to say to kill a snake and hang it belly up on the fence in times of drought. Or to draw a turtle in the dust and spit in his eye. I've done both and it doesn't seem to help, but there's a slight chance of rain this afternoon. Maybe the Almighty will bless us with a little bit of it.

Mac

• Like 1

I got sprinkles last night! I could see where every drop hit.

The radar shows light rain on us now but it's evaporating before it hits the ground.

100F

32% humidity 

Light wind feels like a hair dryer...

Got a little thunder right as I sat down to eat supper around 4 (I work third shift, supper can be anywhere from 8:00 am to midnight!) got  a 5 min down pour and it kept up for a little after. I’ll have to check the rain gauge before work but we are supposed to get more over the next 12-18 hours. It sure was humid this morning you could feel it coming. 

To add to what Art posted, highs the first 1/2 of this coming week are predicted 107-108, then cooling off and high temps will plummet to 101-102 for the remainder of the forecast window.

• Like 1

Don't know how much we've had this year but it's a lot. I may have to get a set of water wings this keeps up. I hope you guys in dry areas get some moisture.

RIck

1 hour ago, acem said:

Cold front is coming through. The high will drop to 101F tomorrow...

That cold front has brought the first rain here since May, thank God Almighty! Currently raining as I type this and has done for about 20 minutes or so. Too late to save my corn probably, but at least we might get another cutting of hay this fall. Not looking forward to the 100+ degree highs, however. 

Mac

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MacAR said:

That cold front has brought the first rain here since May, thank God Almighty! Currently raining as I type this and has done for about 20 minutes or so. Too late to save my corn probably, but at least we might get another cutting of hay this fall. Not looking forward to the 100+ degree highs, however. 

Mac

Nothing better than rain after a long drought isn't it.Back in the  90's when I first started farming we had 3 outta 5 bad drought years.Planted corn in May one year never ever rained on it,chopped it,no rain Didn't rain till October I think. 

• Like 1

Eastern South Dakota looks great.

Recent rains and now high heat near 100.

You can hear the corn grow.

Barring any hard water, the crops should do well.

I see some of the wheat is going down.

And it does look like it is about time for the "Wheat Whackers" to go to work.

That is my favorite job, running combine with the straight head on it.

Rain!

I got an inch of rain last night!

I have storm damage though. Trees down, blew big things around. 

My wife had baby ducks outside in a tub with a light. It's gone. No sign of the baby ducks. @vtfireman85

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

We have had a dry year here with less than a 1/2” since June 1st. And less than 4” for the year.  Lots of fires with about 3 million acres burned, the hay crop is not doing very well, and the honey flow sucks.  It was a bad year to expand the bees but oh well.  Our Peonies did all right but they will be off next year.

it is getting wetter, we have had sprinkles since Friday, but they have only accumulated about 1/10 over three days, which isn’t helping much.

1 hour ago, acem said:

My wife had baby ducks outside in a tub with a light. It's gone. No sign of the baby ducks

I hate it when stuff like that happens, it makes me glad our chicks were in the shed! It blew quite a bit here last night, too. Several limbs in the yard and the corn has a distinct southerly lean to it now. But we got an inch and three quarters of rain, so I'm definitely not complaining!

Mac

• Like 1

Been dry here in southern IL,  we got a little bit of rain last night couple tenths,  most went south of us I guess.

Mostly its been much hotter than usual.  Think with the areas around us that are more dry we should be thankful for the rain we have gotten to this point.  hope it keeps coming.  For sure am tired of all of the over 95 degree days already...

My wife found two of the three ducklings. 

She will just have to hatch another batch when they start laying again. I guess it's too hot.

The cold front cooled us down to 101F today. Back to 105F again tomorrow.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

After being D5 drought status in May, we've had steady rain on/off since Memorial Day.  Its raining right now.  Can't remember the last time I had to turn the heater on for the house in July.  Was getting up to the 90s leading up to today and will be that hot again after today.  

got .25 this am

most of the rain went south or over the Big lake the last 3 weeks

My barley supplier  has the same thing in Rhinelander Wi.

lots of rain all around his farm but none on the farm

this rain will help get the 2nd cutting going

glad I applied fertilizer this spring.

Mike