656 Farmall Hitch clearance questions

I have a 656 Farmall that I used for the first time to bale hay and the drawbar lower suport height is low and catches hay when driving my heavier windrows. I noticed holes in a carrier that the reciever anchors into has a couple of holes for what looks like a pin. I was thinking about fabricating a skid plate of sorts to keep hay from hanging up on the hitch and drawbar and wondered if any one had some ideas for me or if anyone knows what the heck those pin holes are for? 

IMG_6408[1].JPG

According to the parts book the front drawbar anchor is the same regardless of fast hitch or 3pt. For as many 656's as I see with fast hitch it must have been about 50/50 from the factory.

Considering that you would be pulling a 4-bottom plow from those holes, I think they can handle a skid plate or mud flap.

Use belting to guide heavier hay thru without hanging up  its a cheap fix and works

I have seen people strap a child's snow slide toboggan under the hitch, ones that will roll up. Seriously we put 16.9 on our 686 and that helped a lot.

Appreciate all the input! Nothing like getting advise from folks who have try'd stuff that works! I think i will trey to find a pin and make something that can go on and come off fairly simple and I am on the hunt for the stock 15.5 x 38 tires and rims that will lift it a bit as well. It has 12.4 X 38's now.

• Like 1

Be glad your tractor doesn't have the fast hitch hardware hanging under there those are worse

17 hours ago, NO-GREEN-GARY said:

I am on the hunt for the stock 15.5 x 38 tires and rims that will lift it a bit as well. It has 12.4 X 38's now.

If you can find some 16.9s that will really give you good ground clearance. 14.9s are taller than 15.5s too.

• Like 1

I bought a large bolt. Grade 8 that would be just long enough that when put in from the bottom have room for a washer and nut with room for a hair pin clip on top.