BMW’s seat subscription

vtfireman85

If i were part of generating profit for BMW i would be all for this.     Younger people are used to doing everything by subscription.

I dont really care for it, but at 43 yrs old, im not going to be  a target market much longer.   

8 minutes ago, cjf711 said:

If i were part of generating profit for BMW i would be all for this.     Younger people are used to doing everything by subscription.

I dont really care for it, but at 43 yrs old, im not going to be  a target market much longer.   

So, you BUY a car and then expect to pay a subscription for the damn seat ? 
I will be kind and not say what I’m thinking…

• Thanks 1

Its not in the USA.  It started in South Korea I think I read and now England.  The idea is....... That a buyer can "subscribe" to a option on the car like the heated seats. If they don't want it they don't have to buy the option. If they decide they do after purchase they can subscribe and have it "installed".  In the US market a car either has an option or it doesn't. 

14 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

So, you BUY a car and then expect to pay a subscription for the damn seat ? 
I will be kind and not say what I’m thinking…

Probably a lease not a purchase, which would fit with the idea of subscriptions. 

29 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

Probably a lease not a purchase, which would fit with the idea of subscriptions. 

What I find most irksome is that effectively you are already paying for the option. I mean there is cost involved in installing it which is attached to the purchase price regardless, if it wasn’t they would not be making money. So even if you don’t want it, you still pay for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

What I find most irksome is that effectively you are already paying for the option. I mean there is cost involved in installing it which is attached to the purchase price regardless, if it wasn’t they would not be making money. So even if you don’t want it, you still pay for it. 

EXACTLY!

that’s like paying for cruise control… or tires… or a steering wheel…

6 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

EXACTLY!

that’s like paying for cruise control… or tires… or a steering wheel…

Well, you pay for that either way, but it’s like paying for power seats, when you wanted manual seats, and you got power seats by have to adjust them manually. Or getting rubber floors, but carpet is underneath and the rubber is glued to it. 

Well, kid's BMWs are too old but there's no way I would go for it in any case.

The concept isn't new. Our airplanes have options that are already installed but require additional payment to be turned on. An example is CPDLC or Controller Pilot Datalink Communication. The software and hardware are already installed but, I suppose, operators who fly domestically only may not need it. For international operations in the North Atlantic High Level Airspace it's a requirement or else you have to fly below FL290 or above FL 410 - 29,000'/41,000'. In many other regions it's not required but sure makes it easier and safer to use rather than voice communications where English may be a second language. HF radio generally sucks and VHF is limited to line of sight. It's real fun to try to decipher what a third world controller using a surplus East German radio is trying to convey.

You can still buy MS Office resident software but they're really pushing subscription. No way for me. I'll use third party or pirate software before I get locked into a subscription.

What a "load of 'helpful' Buellshiite".

I see NO mention of it being mandatory with the purchase of a Cadillac, although that will probably come as a no-cost feature, NOR, do I see it being a requirement when buying a lowly Chevrolet.

But, how nice to know that when you are out in the middle of BFE, you WILL suddenly be bombarded with ads for the nearest Kum and Go convenience store in the next town down the road, or the surprise you WILL get when you get pulled over in the next town down the road, because On-Star has informed the local po-po that you had exceeded the speed limit 17.3 miles south of town, and we have it all on our computer thanks to the GPS in your vehicle.

I have NEVER had any intention of buying a GM product, but it is most interesting to learn that GM is now bragging about it STILL being the government motors subsidiary of the Federal government, willing, and quite able to monitor YOUR travels and location at every moment. (Consider it a backup system for your cell phone's capability).

But, like a GREAT PRESIDENT once said, the NINE most dangerous words in the English language ARE "We're From The Government, and We're Here To Help"

F GM

10 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

or the surprise you WILL get when you get pulled over in the next town down the road, because On-Star has informed the local po-po that you had exceeded the speed limit 17.3 miles south of town, and we have it all on our computer thanks to the GPS in your vehicle.

Yes I think that is possibly the end goal 

You have a po-po subscription  in the future its all about the revenue stream 

I thought about trying to fool one of those insurance discount OBD sniffers , just play a 35 MPH trip on a loop out to it

But with technology these days they might be tracking you with a GPS tile also in their sniffer

So they'd get live data of me going 100 MPH and raise my rates 😂 

Is this really any different then SirrusXM?

On 7/15/2022 at 6:53 PM, New Englander said:

The concept isn't new. Our airplanes have options that are already installed but require additional payment to be turned on.

Also with some farm equipment.

My wife’s 2019 BMW has heated and cooled seats, but we don’t have to pay a subscription to use them. Lol. That’s nuts.

Heated seats don’t get much use down here in central Texas anyway, but the cooled seat feature is awesome. 

My Ford Transit couldnt be ordered with running lights unless it was a fleet truck.  With a scan tool, it took 5 minutes to turn them on. Somebody will figure it out and BMW will come up with some new thing for u to pay for.