Do pigs not eat onions?

vtfireman85

I drive by some pigs now and then, the ground was totally littered with onions as if they wont touch them. Is this a pig thing or just them? 

I am sure pigs already have a hard time kissing each others pig faces, let alone a pig face with bad breath.

• Haha 8

ours don't like them

now dandelions they will dig them out and eat them

Mike

3 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

I am sure pigs already have a hard time kissing each others pig faces, let alone a pig face with bad breath.

Idk, ive seen some tupper pigs smooching just fine, they didn’t even have teeth

• Haha 5

^^^ see this is why we need the green sick face for the like button...now that i know what a tupper hog is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

🤢

• Haha 3

🤮

• Haha 3

Ive read pigs have similar pallets to humans.. i love raw onions on my burgers and diced in a salad but i wouldnt eat one like an apple. 

Growing up i noticed the the whole fruit an vegetables went last..theyd eat all the chopped up left overs first and sometimes thered be apples in the pen for a day or two. Theyd eat them but i guess they were being picky. Seems strange for animals we consider gluttons. 

2 hours ago, Twolines said:

Ive read pigs have similar pallets to humans..

They love bacon too??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We used to throw  excess garden produce in for pigs. Don’t remember if they ate onions or not.  I know they would eat anything else. We used to have tame geese and sometimes they would try and fly. They would get over the low panels and end up in pen with pigs. If you didn’t chase goose out about a week later pigs would eat it. A odd thing we did was to dump some lump coal in pen. Just soft ND lignite but pigs would root through it and it was supposed to be a dewormer for them. Don’t know if it did or not but we used to do it. If you ever want to see a pig in a poke. Dump about 100 frozen pumpkins in the pen. They can’t eat them right away and it is like they team up and play kickball or soccer roiling frozen pumpkins until they can break them up. Dad cleaned out the basement onetime and had about 10 bottles of homemade wine from the 30s it was pretty strong and rank. Dumped it on pig feed in trough and the pigs were just laying on ground in a pile squealing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Frank H said:

Our pigs won’t look at onions. I wish I had some old wine to give them though that would be hilarious.

It is almost like a scene out of Andy Griffith with Otis in jail. Pigs just laying and stumbling sleeping it off then squealing. Another pig story I have is one morning in the winter . It was around 6 am dark and cold. My brother and I were doing chores before school. The one pig pen had troughs we watered with a hydrant. Chop the ice out with a pick and let pigs drink water twice a day. It had a 12 x 16 old granary for a barn. We bedded with round bales of straw.A sow came out of straw and up to trough and boar came up behind and was in love. Sow was having nothing to do with any thing and turned around and bit boar on his package that was extended . I can still see the scene in my mind and hear the squeal. It is kind of surreal because you remember it exactly as it was in the same freezing cold, same smells same early morning darkness and the biting cold . ( a play on words)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I remember a couple of years ago a radio host on XM thought he could eat a whole onion like an apple. I think he took about two bites, and then thought he was going to die. Even the next day or two he wasn't feeling good.

Probably would get away with it with a sweet onion. 

5 hours ago, Lars (midessa) said:

Put beer in a trough, pigs will lap it up till they fall asleep(or get so drunk they pass out).

..pigs like a beer...any beer

rp#2   pig.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

..pigs like a beer...any beer

rp#2   pig.jpg

Ok Mike, I see pigs on the underside of earth really like their beer.

1428250666_spiritanimal.jpg.972e102f9dfe4eca83e24378c407f939.jpg

But, I am curious🤔

Do you hire your fuel hauled in or is this your tractor trailer combination rig? 😏     😁 

1996241631_piglikesbeer.jpg.71b6d4b68144c02860b4bd25313ceea2.jpg

• Haha 5

ya know ive been told to give a beer to a sow wen she is ready to farrow

shes got her work cut out for her ,,,dont need to be buzzed on top of it

Mike

Sandhiller, i have a couple transport rigs like that! I dont know how id get by without my big red wagon!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Ok Mike, I see pigs on the underside of earth really like their beer.

1428250666_spiritanimal.jpg.972e102f9dfe4eca83e24378c407f939.jpg

But, I am curious🤔

Do you hire your fuel hauled in or is this your tractor trailer combination rig? 😏     😁 

1996241631_piglikesbeer.jpg.71b6d4b68144c02860b4bd25313ceea2.jpg

Sandhiller......given my state  of mind ...this after laboriously..painstakingly  going through  your American   truck  inventory....and realising that an ol' outback Cattle 'person'   like you will have  ""Inventory Management   Program   Software""  this to keep you abreast of your extensive fleet ..... put me into a state of despair ..thinking about my 1988 Datsun  pickup....and not even finding one four wheeled 'relic''  in my own rotten row.....I just wonder  how and where I went wrong....in this cruel world ....I have never voted Democrat ... or thrown stones at Policemen..or seen Jennifer  Aniston's tits...but I just feel  deprived, and alone with my 1988 Datsun..(it is paid for....guess I should be thankfull   for that...no repo   man loitering  around my place...)

Anyway...due to my current state of mind...which you are partly responsible for...I  will not dignify that question with an answer......so there....:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mike newman said:

Sandhiller......given my state  of mind ...this after laboriously..painstakingly  going through  your American   truck  inventory....and realising that an ol' outback Cattle 'person'   like you will have  ""Inventory Management   Program   Software""  this to keep you abreast of your extensive fleet ..... put me into a state of despair ..thinking about my 1988 Datsun  pickup....and not even finding one four wheeled 'relic''  in my own rotten row.....I just wonder  how and where I went wrong....in this cruel world ....I have never voted Democrat ... or thrown stones at Policemen..or seen Jennifer  Aniston's tits...but I just feel  deprived, and alone with my 1988 Datsun..(it is paid for....guess I should be thankfull   for that...no repo   man loitering  around my place...)

Anyway...due to my current state of mind...which you are partly responsible for...I  will not dignify that question with an answer......so there....:rolleyes:

Mike

Mike, your current state of mind is just fine. 

Somewhere out there someone is envious of your 88 Daughtsoon.

And as far as things you haven't seen, I can tell you factually, without a doubt, her, well this is a family site sooooooo. 🙊

Enjoy your evening Mike

I'm going to go ruffle sheets 😴 for a bit before the sun comes up here.

We fed pigs a couple of tons of ice cream when the freezer at a local dairy broke. The packages in the center of the pallets were still frozen solid so we humans had more than our fill. They really seemed to appreciate the treat! The packaging I'm sure degraded eventually in the manure.

Yes, they love pork as well. We fed restaurant garbage and that contained partly eaten steaks, chops, and even lobsters. Sometimes tourists who I guess were not from the coast would try lobster and either not find it to their liking or didn't know how to attack it, and didn't finish their treat. Pigs had no qualms and would crunch it up. I once dumped a barrel with at least a dozen crustaceans that I guess were pre-cooked and not sold so disposed. Those were highly regarded!

One restaurant actually paid a bounty for returned china and flatware. Apparently  their bus help was a bit careless.

Yes, definitely omnivorous, but raw onions? I don't think they'd like them, can't have bad breath in the pen.