766 / D360 Overhaul kits

ejb17

For the experts: I had a liner oring go bad on one cylinder and was lucky enough to find it while doing a pan gasket. Tractor had not been worked in a long time and I had brought it in the shop to do the gasket. Well number 2 had a drop of green hanging from the liner so we pressurized to 10 lbs and it was leaking steady. We got the head off and pulled all the liners and its a good thing because the rest of the liner orings were looking pretty bad. Our questions are these: Are the kits from All States Ag good? Local machine shop has a long lead time and is over 100 more per hole? Looks like we have to do the normal cleaning plus a little finesse work where the orings first start into their machined section of the block? Is that considered normal? 

Everything else checks out great and the tractor was running great for the limited time we used it before this. It literally started instantly and never smoked unless you throttled up too fast.

Thanks in advance

I think their kit is a reliance... I've had poor luck with reliance kits. Try Jessie at restoration tractor sales, Lancaster pa. Not sure if he has anything available but he has quality kits for the 414 etc ones (717)682-6263 

@Super A_sepa

1 hour ago, Farmall Doctor said:

What issues did you encounter?

We overhauled 4 engines with their kits, 2(436) and 2(8.3) variety of issues. Haven't had any issues with the one from Jessie yet. Both 436 had seized up within two years. I thought it was possible overheating but after hearing about other people having problems I am sceptical of them at this point. Both of the 8.3's were installed at a local truck garage and the kid who did it is excellent on them 

3 hours ago, bitty said:

I think their kit is a reliance... I've had poor luck with reliance kits. Try Jessie at restoration tractor sales, Lancaster pa. Not sure if he has anything available but he has quality kits for the 414 etc ones (717)682-6263 

@Super A_sepa

None for the smaller engines at this point, just the 400 series.

I put a Reliance kit in my 312, got a better gasket set then instead of the Reliance, it ran sweet.   It was a Reliance kit I put in my 360 too that was good too.    Used bearings from a better supplier as well I think.     This was before we used any Absolute kits. 

2 hours ago, bitty said:

We overhauled 4 engines with their kits, 2(436) and 2(8.3) variety of issues. Haven't had any issues with the one from Jessie yet. Both 436 had seized up within two years. I thought it was possible overheating but after hearing about other people having problems I am sceptical of them at this point. Both of the 8.3's were installed at a local truck garage and the kid who did it is excellent on them 

So, what made the 436 engines seize up? Bearings? Pistons stuck in the sleeves? 

2 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

So, what made the 436 engines seize up? Bearings? Pistons stuck in the sleeves? 

The one I think still sits in storage. My guess is pistons in sleeves but haven't had time to investigate