IH 1468 Muffler

I am looking for a muffler for a IH 1468.  I have one good one.  Thormure appears to be out of business, or at least the phone number doesnt work.  Anyone have a lead on where to buy a muffler?  

An 806 Muffler is close, but I am looking for something that is factory correct.  I am willing to spend the money to have one custom built.

C

5 hours ago, nate said:

My brother has one that is New old stock he would probably part with for the right price.    Where are you located?

I’m in Terre Haute Indiana.  Let me know a price.  My phone number is (812) 298-4482.

We had a guy drive his 1468 to the shop.

It didn't sound right and the rain cap was down on one exhaust pipe.

We pulled the muffler off and put it back on upside down.

The farmer wound the engine up to full throttle.

We had to actually hold the muffler to the manifold.

All of a sudden, boom.

There is a soft plug in the middle of the muffler that forces the exhaust to move around in the muffler.

That had moved up and shut off the exhaust from getting out. 

We never found the soft plug. It may be in low earth orbit?

That cured it so we pulled the other muffler and drove that soft plug out so both mufflers were kind of balanced.

The things a person runs onto?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

We had a guy drive his 1468 to the shop.

It didn't sound right and the rain cap was down on one exhaust pipe.

We pulled the muffler off and put it back on upside down.

The farmer wound the engine up to full throttle.

We had to actually hold the muffler to the manifold.

All of a sudden, boom.

There is a soft plug in the middle of the muffler that forces the exhaust to move around in the muffler.

That had moved up and shut off the exhaust from getting out. 

We never found the soft plug. It may be in low earth orbit?

That cured it so we pulled the other muffler and drove that soft plug out so both mufflers were kind of balanced.

The things a person runs onto?

I find this rather interesting. Back when I was in high school, a neighbor bought a new 856D. He had traded in an 806D. He bought the 856 in the dead of winter up in MI, but when he put the 856 to work in the Spring, he became rather disappointed in it, telling the dealer it was no better if not worse than his 806 for power. The dealer came out to check it out. The mechanic took the muffler off and rammed a long bar down it, I can’t remember for sure from which direction, but it sounds similar to doing what you are talking about. Like knocking a baffle or something out of there.  Just by doing that it made enough of a difference to satisfy my neighbor to keep the 856. He had started grumbling about trading this new 856 back in on a nice 1206 that the dealer had on the lot back then. Lol. That mechanic seemed to know exactly what to do. Was this some sort of chronic problem back then with 856s having defective mufflers or something? 

12 hours ago, Rick G. said:

I find this rather interesting. Back when I was in high school, a neighbor bought a new 856D. He had traded in an 806D. He bought the 856 in the dead of winter up in MI, but when he put the 856 to work in the Spring, he became rather disappointed in it, telling the dealer it was no better if not worse than his 806 for power. The dealer came out to check it out. The mechanic took the muffler off and rammed a long bar down it, I can’t remember for sure from which direction, but it sounds similar to doing what you are talking about. Like knocking a baffle or something out of there.  Just by doing that it made enough of a difference to satisfy my neighbor to keep the 856. He had started grumbling about trading this new 856 back in on a nice 1206 that the dealer had on the lot back then. Lol. That mechanic seemed to know exactly what to do. Was this some sort of chronic problem back then with 856s having defective mufflers or something? 

Ive read a story similar to that that involved a Farm Progress Show from that time period. They weren't preforming like they should, so during a intermission in the demos a enterprising mechanic did exactly that and afterwards they preformed like they should 

4 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Ive read a story similar to that that involved a Farm Progress Show from that time period. They weren't preforming like they should, so during a intermission in the demos a enterprising mechanic did exactly that and afterwards they preformed like they should 

Wow unreal that they would let something out the door like that- handicapping so many otherwise perfectly healthy 407 engines with crap mufflers. Makes you wonder how many struggled with that problem that never got figured out. Interesting stuff. Thanks.

A muffler has internal baffles to force the exhaust to take several turns, blocking the noise.   Of course, that also blocks the airflow to some extent.   By ramming a rod thru it, you are simply turning it into a straight pipe with a enlarged center section.   More flow, more noise.  (The enlarged cavity does help with the noise anyway, but not as much as the baffles.)  Yes, sometimes the muffler was made wrong and blocking or limiting flow, (if one baffle would come loose and slide up to the next baffle, the holes wouldn't line up and it would block it off).....but usually it was a "more power" situation.   

And the farmer who's hearing was already shot from running straight pipes on the older tractors couldn't tell the noise difference anyway....so he would just complain about loss of power.