straw

maxxum 140

Going to be combining my rye in a couple weeks and I am going to bale and sell the straw, but not really sure what it is worth.  Anybody in the straw selling business?  These would be met wrapped round bales

Around here you could sell it all if it was in small squares. Sell very little if it was in big rounds.

Horse people and hobby farmers buy all small squares for bedding around here.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, maxxum 140 said:

Going to be combining my rye in a couple weeks and I am going to bale and sell the straw, but not really sure what it is worth.  Anybody in the straw selling business?  These would be met wrapped round bales

2x hay here. Hot commodity for multiple uses.

5 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

We round baled all of our wheat and rye that we combined. We put it in the vertical mixer to thin out the good feed. We’ll sell it if someone wants a few bales here and there. We get $40 for them, they come get them. 

Last round bale I bought of straw was $80 before fuel went up.

With current fertilizer prices, there's $30 a ton worth of fertilizer in wheat straw not counting whatever price you want to put on organic matter. Too many people around me love to sell straw for nothing, $3-4.00 a bale. 4x5s bring $20-30.00. Find out how many nutrients in a ton of rye and try to make a little something for all your work.

• Like 2

$100 a ton here for 3x3 large sqaures. I bought everything  i could store for rebaling.  A few years ago it would bring over $200 a ton.  It cant go below $100.  It would be better to leave it in the field.  We also bought 5 wagon loads of regular small squares to resell for $2 a bale out of the field.

If you could get certified weed free, construction projects are always looking for that and would likely pay $100 ish per round bale.  Otherwise given the excess of straw in the upper great plains (ND, SD, and NW MN), I would probably say $30 to $50 per bale.  I would maybe put a Craigslist ad or Facebook Marketplace ad saying taking orders for straw bales off the field.  Pre-sell it then you wouldn't waste fuel picking it up.

I also concur that different areas have different pricing.  Small squares in South Dakota I would expect anywhere from $5 to $8 per square depending on how many horse folk and organic gardeners you have in the immediate area.

I put up 25 acres a year of small squares oats straw for nearly 30 years. I gave it up two years ago as my help(sons) graduated and got jobs. I still get calls all the time wondering if I have squares. I was getting 5.00 a bale on the buyers rack. Sold every bale. Rounds are easy but I figured on a good day I would end up with a 1.00 a bale worth in a round bale. Rye and wheat straw also brings a lot less around here no matter what form its in. 

i don't think I've every seen it round baled here but small and big squares the cleaner brighter longer steam it is the more you'll get, i don't know what they're getting a ton around here but small bales last year was 7 to 15 a bale

9 hours ago, Mudfly said:

If you could get certified weed free, construction projects are always looking for that and would likely pay $100 ish per round bale.  Otherwise given the excess of straw in the upper great plains (ND, SD, and NW MN), I would probably say $30 to $50 per bale.  I would maybe put a Craigslist ad or Facebook Marketplace ad saying taking orders for straw bales off the field.  Pre-sell it then you wouldn't waste fuel picking it up.

I also concur that different areas have different pricing.  Small squares in South Dakota I would expect anywhere from $5 to $8 per square depending on how many horse folk and organic gardeners you have in the immediate area.

Everyone here bales old weed invested fields and sells it as mulch. Then wonder why there’s a lot of weed pressure such as bedstraw and poison parsnip. 

7 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Everyone here bales old weed invested fields and sells it as mulch. Then wonder why there’s a lot of weed pressure such as bedstraw and poison parsnip. 

In MN a lot of construction permits (storm water permit) require use of certified weed free straw for mulch.  I think the certification is pretty cheap/easy especially if you spray your crops.   Probably adds 50 to 100% to the sale price to those that need the certification.

• Like 1

2019 straw was $200 locally because of the weather hurt especially the later planted wheat. That's the highest I ever remember locally. Over in eastern Ohio there's Mt Hope and Kidron that have weekly hay and straw auctions and straw pretty consistently brings $200+ a ton. Now if a person lives close to that area, that's a whole different ballgame compared to my area. There would be decent money bailing straw. There's a few in my sector that run over there and sell, but that's 140+ miles one way from me, and some are in a tunnel vision, and just look at the extra $2 or so a bale they get for it at the auction and don't seem to figure in their fuel, wear and tear, their time, plus auction commission taken out of the extra $2 a bale running over there. There's nothing wrong baling straw if a person enjoys doing that. Just don't want to be on the loosing end doing so.

Usually pay $2 a small square here picking them up in the field. Even the mixed farmers in the area are generally not wanting to drop any more straw than their own use. It’s more valuable chopped and worked back in.

You also have to ask yourself if the goal is to get rid, or get rich.

If the rye is paying the bills, anything above and beyond the cost of running the baler is "gravy money." 

IMHO at $35 it should not be too much trouble to get rid of, and should more than cover the cost of rolling it up.