Saw a tag sale yesterday but was in the dump truck and the old man was along, so stopping was out of the question. Had to go back by today and after some trials and tribulations with a card hungry ATM I stopped just as it was starting to rain. An old blind woman had 6 lanterns, i didn’t look them over, just asked how much for all, most looked rough, she told me 30 for all 6. Sold, she asked me to count the money for her , yes i was honest, my mother might have raised an azzhole but she raised an honest one. 
i got them to the truck before they got too soaked. Then I started investigating. In the bunch were a few 220, no big excitement there, a 288, a Quick Lite! And best of all!!!!! A new, un lit, never fueled, September 64’ 200A with box and paperwork and original mantle!!!!!! 

CC4BA745-AFE0-4AF9-BF1A-A754939841DD.jpeg

A735E57F-33DD-498E-B094-E349A4335CB4.jpeg

0D4188CD-CF35-4B6C-A7A0-64754B356105.jpeg

163A056F-8C96-40A3-BD44-EFBD114ADC5E.jpeg

B09FDF8D-BF74-4B50-8203-92E8B9D3CA8E.jpeg

7CFEFA49-5142-4859-9036-7A8ACDBE73AB.jpeg

7B8E3158-63C7-4761-9566-7CB306B58837.jpeg

20189670-472B-4ECE-9E8B-7A7EE12F9AF0.jpeg

A87632C1-EA96-4421-96D3-FD10EBA08F40.jpeg

31EA19A3-18F1-4762-BDC3-9330996750CF.jpeg

2C12A051-BCD5-4C78-8C64-C1163CB78062.jpeg

EFCAE971-B397-4E38-8D4C-3E29C05857D6.jpeg

8E64EBA9-506F-486C-81A7-2CC8F8B0539C.jpeg

75B35B41-B950-410A-B81C-32AACAD65E7B.jpeg

DC49648C-BDC8-48D0-9377-254EA4871C2F.jpeg

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

The unused lantern is pretty cool. So is this something you want to use or are these collectible?

The unused one will remain unused, the the Quick Lite with the Q99 generator is one of the earliest Coleman lantern models. They were cool, you used a little “torch” like a fluffy qtip soaked in alcohol or something to preheat the generator creating a gaseous vapor in that curled part. So no moving parts, but they were a little slow to light. They are unusual and cool IMO. That one is probably beyond it, but i have always been on the lookout for one in salvageable condition. The other 220’s are probably just for parts. 
ive been into lanterns lately. Have a number of family lanterns i want to restore, or revive, seemed like it would have been foolish to pass up a package deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

Next time you are on that road past her house, you might want to stop and give the "old, blind lady", another few dollars.

Times are tough, and she may well need the money.

Before i get crucified for highway robbery it’s important to set the scene a little. There was a town wide tag sale the weekend before, looked like the whole town had brought their unsold junk to her yard and deposited it. Everything from Barbie dolls to harbor freight tool sets with half the pieces missing, cassette tapes, trailer tires, table lamps, you name it. The porch, amongst other junk and garbage was littered with dozens of empty beer cans, and old coffee cups from the convince store and what I would estimate to be 5-600 cigarette butts spread over a few different piles where people sat. 
I do not know this lady, and I don’t know her story either, but being old and blind doesn’t make someone a saint, and it doesn’t mean much of anything except they are blind. Looked to me like she was selling other peoples junk , and it looked to me like someone who lived there had enough money to burn buying beer, cigarettes and coffee, I paid asking price for what appeared to be 99% junk and found a gem. 
I paid for lanterns, I found lanterns, not like I found a gold ring in the box or a hidden stash of cash.

• Like 3

The red 220s are fairly expensive and even more so in great shape like yours is.   Great find! Made in September of 64.

14 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

she asked me to count the money for her , yes i was honest, my mother might have raised an azzhole but she raised an honest one. 

Doesn't surprise me and would expect nothing less from you Seth but why is this even a thing. 

How low a human being would you have to be to cheat a old blind woman?

I know we are living in different times and those "people" are out there but come on. 

OK, back to the twentieth century I go.................

156912786_doorway2.jpg.29cdac0b6c6d4213dd3d818e5c26bc02.jpg

• Like 1

Be sure to send in the punch card to validate your warranty.😄

If it would even make it to the correct place, what are the chances anyone there would recognize what it is much less have any machine to read it.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Owen Aaland said:

Be sure to send in the punch card to validate your warranty.😄

If it would even make it to the correct place, what are the chances anyone there would recognize what it is much less have any machine to read it.

I still miss the IBM 80 column cards.  We always used punched cards for part inventory.  What ever was punched into a card could be printed along the top edge of the card that way the card would have a visual id for a person and the hole punch for the reader. We used a card tray as a file box. The machine could sort the cards in any order desired, programming the card sorter was a skill! Mechanical devices from the WW2 era still in use in the early 60's. We still supported them until 1975 in the USN, Remember when government checks and money orders were IBM cards?

Data processing in the good old days! been there there done that.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Before i get crucified for highway robbery it’s important to set the scene a little. There was a town wide tag sale the weekend before, looked like the whole town had brought their unsold junk to her yard and deposited it. Everything from Barbie dolls to harbor freight tool sets with half the pieces missing, cassette tapes, trailer tires, table lamps, you name it. The porch, amongst other junk and garbage was littered with dozens of empty beer cans, and old coffee cups from the convince store and what I would estimate to be 5-600 cigarette butts spread over a few different piles where people sat. 
I do not know this lady, and I don’t know her story either, but being old and blind doesn’t make someone a saint, and it doesn’t mean much of anything except they are blind. Looked to me like she was selling other peoples junk , and it looked to me like someone who lived there had enough money to burn buying beer, cigarettes and coffee, I paid asking price for what appeared to be 99% junk and found a gem. 
I paid for lanterns, I found lanterns, not like I found a gold ring in the box or a hidden stash of cash.

Maybe community compassion for someone they feel needs it, giving her their unsold items to generate  some money for her? She's blind maybe others gather at her house and she appreciates the company, she can't see all the cigarette butts?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hardtail said:

Maybe community compassion for someone they feel needs it, giving her their unsold items to generate  some money for her? She's blind maybe others gather at her house and she appreciates the company, she can't see all the cigarette butts?

Still not feeling overwhelming guilt. I paid asking price for items. Not my job to go knocking on doors handing out C notes to those who might be less fortunate than myself based on speculation.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Still not feeling overwhelming guilt. I paid asking price for items. Not my job to go knocking on doors handing out C notes to those who might be less fortunate than myself based on speculation.  

Seth- you did good! You didn’t haggle the price, you paid what was asked for. 
How many others here would have haggled a lower price, then post on here about the steal of a deal you got? 
There’s nothing to bitche about here. I’m leaving it at that…

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Blind lives matter 

I guess I don’t see the humor??  Did I miss something??

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Nope, just a spin on blm…

But of all the things to complain/joke about?  I understand the reference. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

But of all the things to complain/joke about?  I understand the reference. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

I suppose you might say she had blind faith? 

• Haha 1

Her 'friends' that leave the place covered with cigarette butts and beer cans either don't respect her, or her property, or are the type that she prefers to associate with..

She may be blind, but her sense of smell must have gone by the wayside also.

20220713_230258.thumb.jpg.ce9d94385bf83afe914444687319b50d.jpgAny interest in this?(i know not coleman)

Fortunately we dont really collect coleman stuff, so im not attatched. Im pretty sure in the attic of the shop there are a few coleman lanterns if u need them all the way from here.

3 hours ago, Twolines said:

20220713_230258.thumb.jpg.ce9d94385bf83afe914444687319b50d.jpgAny interest in this?(i know not coleman)

Fortunately we dont really collect coleman stuff, so im not attatched. Im pretty sure in the attic of the shop there are a few coleman lanterns if u need them all the way from here.

That’s very cool! I think maybe thermos made them for Montgomery Wards?