Gas pump question

Lazy WP

Will a fuel pump from say a 2003 Chevy pickup pump water and for how long? I have a well that isn’t cased. 3 inch galvanized pipe in the ground. It had a worn out pump jack on it when we bought the place. I would really love to get a windmill for it, but my locality and scarcity of mills and towers makes that not practical. I don’t need a whole lot of volume, but the pump was set at 125 feet down, so by my calculations, it will require nearly 60psi to lift water that high. 
I know that they made a slim jim submersible but they are expensive and I don’t know how much water I have. 
I would like to make this all solar, but that is another issue. 

Yes they absolutely will and they really throw it! Son and I used to make our own toys when he was little...

as far as how long... I’d say no problem there but if you leave it down there when not in use you may have corrosion problems in the electric portion of the motor... 

We use a Wacker diaphragm trash pump with a little 4 HP honda motor. This is a positive displacement pump with rubber pumping diaphragm often used to pump out boats/ponds and such.  We use it to unstop toilets!  Many tool rental places have this this type of pump for rent.  Stop by McKinney TX and you  can borrow it! Believe the hoses are 3".  I have a used fuel pump out of a Chevy Sub, looks really tiny to do any serious pumping, but free if you pay to ship!

New Idea, a bilge pump for a boat could be used if your casing is large enough. A bilge pump is designed to run submerged, most at 12 VDC but the head could be an issue,  I was on Zoro the other day, they still have the old pitcher pump in their online catalog, is pricy but with their free shipping for over $75 is the cheapest way to get water from 60' down. 

Companies like Sure Flow have hundreds of 12c and 24 volt DC pumps, You have to lower the pump down the casing. So no idea how long it will work in that environment. But they have models to make over 100 psi.

We water cows with submersible on solar pushing water 300 to 400 feet no batteries. But it is in 5 inch PVC well casing. 

• Like 1

Might be worth calling a local well driller @Lazy WP .  No idea how much they charge, but I’m sure they could provide a flow test of some sort without you having to make a big investment. 

Seems as if I remember @mader656 Having some experience with wells, pumps and such. Perhaps he will chime in on this. 

Dave

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DavCut said:

Might be worth calling a local well driller @Lazy WP .  No idea how much they charge, but I’m sure they could provide a flow test of some sort without you having to make a big investment. 

Seems as if I remember @mader656 Having some experience with wells, pumps and such. Perhaps he will chime in on this. 

Dave

If I were still up in Nebraska, there’s numerous well guys around, down here I have more experience than anyone I have called. Nobody has a submersible that will fit into a 3 inch case. 

I also have that kind of project. About 10 ft down to water. Looking for some type of pump to run on say 5 hp gas motor no electricity available. Watering  garden will a Jabco brand of pump lift water that high.wish I could find a windmill style but don't know what to put in Google.  Thanks boots