Any brothers in frustration?

sandhiller

293201812_1946132458911445_7393628206203382319_n.thumb.jpg.4e3a4c3869c47d19833c2fca5b28e03a.jpg

It's a lot easier to ponder,  in a comfortable position. A plastic 5 gallion bucket with lid works good as a stool for that kind of work, also slip a couple of auto rims of different sizes (one fitting in side the other) as a safety under the car.

• Like 1

been a few years but changing drive tires on the M

blew 1 out Saturday chopping hay [it was well beyond service life]

don't remember struggling so much slipping the beads on to the rim [back 40 years ago]

Mike

• Like 1

Just did front brakes and ball joints, then struts and sway bar links all 4 corners on my daughter's 1999 Ford Taurus.   Not the worst job in the world, but I can tell you side one took about 2x the time as side two.....goes much quicker the second time around!

I'm not old (49) but that creeper seat and up and down from the floor (no lift) stuff is getting more and more tiring.  I 100% get why guys put lifts in their shops!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mr. Plow said:

I 100% get why guys put lifts in their shops!

And not too long after you put the hoist in, you manage to screw-up both shoulders to the point where you can't lift either arm higher than your arm-pit.......:angry:

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That was me this last weekend installing new firming points on my dads planter! I had to grind on a 9/16" ratchet wrench to get to the bolt that loosens them. It went way better after I accepted how much I had to take off to change them and got a routine though

• Like 1

Just wait guys. Once you get everything under control and you've learned to do most things in a timely manner.....your body craps out and that 3 hours job just became a 3 day job. I'm not crying about it but it sure is frustrating. I'd almost start liking M's and H's if I had someone here to help now and then😱🤢🤣!

Rick

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, mikem said:

And not too long after you put the hoist in, you manage to screw-up both shoulders to the point where you can't lift either arm higher than your arm-pit.......:angry:

Mike

Right on the money...is that statement  !!!

Mike

• Like 1

...and if you want a laugh  at my expense...or stupidity...How about this.......

Serviceing   the Hyundai..t'other  day...had to straighten  out an auxiliary feed for the tilt bucket.....loading ''blown'   rock. with all the odd angles and bits sticking out, after blasting ...and one odd angular piece bent the auxiliary  line back about 70 degrees .....so I had the boom/ dipper arm stretched right out and  then set about to find a piece of tube /pipe to slid over the fitting    etc... A John Deere exhaust pipe was just the device I needed...(Always a drama finding  the right ''stuff'' ...when one is working away from one's own work shop...)...so I undid the breakaway coupling and the shut off valve etc ...thus opening the end of the hydralic line to the world...neatly caught the pint or so oil from the open line.....proceeded to cold bend the line back to some degree of normality.....ran out of travel , for the four foot long exhaust pipe...so I thought, lift the boom a foot or three...and all will be good...

Great idea..pity about the six gallons of hydralic oil  that was lost in a heartbeat......:angry:....ducking fumb.....sigh

Mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

im usually the guy feeling defeated, crying in the corner rocking and mumbling mine are more like i think i can do this - in way over my head and well it drags on for months

• Haha 1

I'm not a mechanic.   I can get some things done but definitely not as efficiently as most on here.  

Everything takes me longer then I estimate from fence to animal care to working on my broken stuff.  I do the best I can.  I push but sometimes what gets done gets done and if I have some weeds along the lane or the grass isn't trimmed at the fence it is what it is.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, acem said:

Is that guy wearing crocks???

I was just waiting for you to bring that up.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

What was done easily years ago is now stuck solid due to rust, or dirt or old age.

Shoulda used Never Seize! 😄

1840899999_neverseize.thumb.jpg.4d72db1a7608db387591b8bbf81f72cf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

I'm not a mechanic.   I can get some things done but definitely not as efficiently as most on here.  

Everything takes me longer then I estimate from fence to animal care to working on my broken stuff.  I do the best I can.  I push but sometimes what gets done gets done and if I have some weeds along the lane or the grass isn't trimmed at the fence it is what it is.  

X2

• Like 1

Ha! There is now MORE to my bs whining...so i buttoned up the rear cvs on the minivan. Super easy didnt even have to beat on or press anything out.(had to press front driver side out of spindle) the rears popped out and slid right back in.. well....i dont know if this is a domino effect or maybe i didnt hear new noise due to old noise? But the stinkin stupid fn half cv half torque tube bs drive shaft is popping! Cant find a replacement! And if i did they are 1500! new.. i called the local gear and shaft shop and they can get a rebuilt one for 700. I dont know...im trying to get rid of this thing. I sat there thinking just like the guy in the pic, i may have even drooled a bit.. then it hit me. In the shop grab grease gun and grease needle, inject toast boot on drive shaft cv. Boom bandaid! Quiet like new...not sure for how long. So do i tell the buyer or just let them deal with it.

800 for TITLED vehicle with 133k

800 for full set of winter tires on steel rims

600 for water pump and timing belt(done at shop)

125 for new injectors

400 for front cvs, loaded control arms, tie rod ends

170 for rear cvs

60 for new pan heaters

50 for new head lights

12 for filter

45 for front/back wipers

0 for wife shampooping the inside

• Thanks 1

My buddy had a vacation like this last week.   His starter went out (fried the wire) and he had a knock sensor go bad meaning pull the intake to change it.  Then his other buddies truck alternator died while on a ferry out in BFE.   They spent most of the day trying to find parts in the UP of Michigan for a 1996 truck.   

That's me sometimes, just missing the empty Pabst cans.

• Haha 2

On 7/12/2022 at 11:32 AM, Pid 1831 said:

fantasising about 5 gallon of diesel and a match

I usually think about a combination of dynamite and tannerite. If you are going to do it, no half jobs.😉

• Haha 1

part 2;

second rim and tire was going great till the hole for the valve stem was a little too big and the lock didn't hold.

disappeared into the rim :angry:

1.5 hrs later fishing it out, got it aired up and moved out to the M

put it on tomorrow AM [too tired tonight]

the tires were take off's from the previous owner ,, put tubes in and they will work fine

a little big but no cost just tubes $75.00 ea.

Mike

On 7/12/2022 at 2:47 PM, Art From Coleman said:

I have changed my mind about him having no reason to be confused.  

He may be having difficulty trying to understand why the NEW shock (with the plastic strap holding it collapsed) is NOT as long as the old shock that he is holding.

Wearing shorts and comfy little 'snugglies' on your feet, will do that to a person, and he appears to be just that sort of person.

But but but... He grew a beard. So he's a man's man ... Right?

All simple projects are three to five days . 
plan on it and you won’t be upset like the guy in photo .

Especially in Northeast Ohio , plan minimum of 10 hours of disassemble. That’s why they are the most sought after mechanics for their ingenuity and experience in solving problems in an environment of corrosion.