Jump to content

Arthritis Mattress


Recommended Posts

Also on the sleep number thing. The lower end ones what little I've tried them out in store don't seem that comfortable to me unless you go to the pillow top Cadillac Mac daddy model (5000 plus dollars at the time) the lower end ones just didn't feel right to me somehow. Not sure how to describe the feeling but like sleeping on a canvas bag or something. The pillow top model took that feeling away but so expensive we didn't even consider them at the time. And we had already bought the above mattress for around $1000 iirc.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I have the opposite exp with the hard mattress thing we had a water bed until about 7 or so years ago, maybe less. Anyway thought I needed firmer as back was starting to bother me at nite.

Bought a fairly expensive firmer mattress from one of the big name bed stores. In a short time my hips bothered me so bad I almost couldn't walk at times. Couldn't sleep more than a few hours without lower back bothering me. Woke up stiff and sore in lower back. Tried various cheap foam toppers which helped some but the fumes off of them made wife nauseous and unless I slept on top of a blanket I would get hot after a while. 

Sent mattress back early on and they made it as soft as they could without going to another model. Helped a bit but not enough. 

Now we bought a better grade foam topper. Again it helped but I still have to sleep with a pillow under my knees and will wake up in the nite or morning with stiff back. Not as bad, but still stiff. If it hadn't been so expensive I would have thrown this mattress away long ago and tried again with a softer mattress. 

I can fall asleep in my lazy boy nothing flat if my feet leave the floor. And I can get a reasonably good nap. But I don't sleep that well at nite in it for some reason.

Sounds like the water bed was better for you.  I’ve not heard of water beds now in a while.  Wonder if they’re still available.  My issue is I need spine support like needing arch support in a shoe.  Besides the chunk of arthritis in mid spine, I can get bulging disks from curving the spine.  I do that by hunching over staring at computer screens with my glasses off, or lifting things with my back not straight.  Then the arms and legs ache and lower back hurts.  

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another weird point is growing up I had my parents old bed as a teen which had some old stuffing material and geometry was more like a hammock and could sleep on my stomach which would have been bending you backwards, again guests would rave about a great sleep in that thing. I have herniated disks and nerve damage down one leg but have a hard time sleeping on my stomach now but when my back gets really bad that's the only position that is tolerable, at that point I usually sleep sideways across the mattress with my feet hanging over one side pointing down and my arms down the opposite side 

Good chiropractic is worth its weight in gold when needed

Night 1 on my daughters foam mattress was not a miracle I was hoping for...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Another weird point is growing up I had my parents old bed as a teen which had some old stuffing material and geometry was more like a hammock and could sleep on my stomach which would have been bending you backwards, again guests would rave about a great sleep in that thing. I have herniated disks and nerve damage down one leg but have a hard time sleeping on my stomach now but when my back gets really bad that's the only position that is tolerable, at that point I usually sleep sideways across the mattress with my feet hanging over one side pointing down and my arms down the opposite side 

Good chiropractic is worth its weight in gold when needed

Only way I can sleep on my stomach is with a pillow under chest and stomach and same height pillow under my head, so that hips and legs are lower… all flat and I’ll have pain.  My left leg and foot have pain and numbness at the same time from compression of nerve in the back now.  Peaked recently with a wild allergic reaction to doxycycline antibiotic that I took for Rocky Mountain fever (tick bite).  Yeah I used to sleep on the crappiest mattresses and it didn’t matter.  Now, it’s mattering.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Also on the sleep number thing. The lower end ones what little I've tried them out in store don't seem that comfortable to me unless you go to the pillow top Cadillac Mac daddy model (5000 plus dollars at the time) the lower end ones just didn't feel right to me somehow. Not sure how to describe the feeling but like sleeping on a canvas bag or something. The pillow top model took that feeling away but so expensive we didn't even consider them at the time. And we had already bought the above mattress for around $1000 iirc.

I’m astonished at the prices on mattresses… last one I bought new in the 80s was $600 with non matching box springs.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been sleeping on a water bed for round 30 years.

The best recipe for a good night sleep is a hard days work, a moderate supper and a good round of mattress dancing. I'll sleep like a baby. Try it!

I don't have arthritis but my grandmother had it bad. She kept a sheet of plywood under her mattress. 

The firmness of the box springs greatly effects how the mattress feels.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, russ_alabama said:

Sounds like the water bed was better for you.  I’ve not heard of water beds now in a while.  Wonder if they’re still available.  My issue is I need spine support like needing arch support in a shoe.  Besides the chunk of arthritis in mid spine, I can get bulging disks from curving the spine.  I do that by hunching over staring at computer screens with my glasses off, or lifting things with my back not straight.  Then the arms and legs ache and lower back hurts.  

Well I think maybe I need more than a water bed but not as firm as the mattress I went with. How does a person really know till you try to sleep on the darn things!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, acem said:

I've been sleeping on a water bed for round 30 years.

The best recipe for a good night sleep is a hard days work, a moderate supper and a good round of mattress dancing. I'll sleep like a baby. Try it!

I don't have arthritis but my grandmother had it bad. She kept a sheet of plywood under her mattress. 

The firmness of the box springs greatly effects how the mattress feels.

 

I guess one thing about a water bed is they don’t wear out.  I do a lot of work on weekends but am wrapping up the last of some decades of office work… and it’s not as good for health as good daily physical daily work, to your point.  Was walking a fast as I could walk two miles of checking fences every morning at daylight, but the elderly dog went on strike.  Doc said, leave the dog at the house and do the walk.  Good point, and the increase of back issues seems to coincide with the decrease in the walking.  But, doc also said that bone growth is kinda hard to fix.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Well I think maybe I need more than a watered but not as firm as the mattress I went with. How does a person really know till you try to sleep on the darn things!

A on-the-road traveling TVA machinist buddy of mine was always hunting the motel mattress that he thought was ideal... then he'd take the wife back to that motel.  Seems like the mattress models in the motels weren't in stores (probably Marriot bought non-public part numbers in large qty).  But he found very similar ones in stores.  I never travel, so that's not a path for me.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, russ_alabama said:

I guess one thing about a water bed is they don’t wear out.  I do a lot of work on weekends but am wrapping up the last of some decades of office work… and it’s not as good for health as good daily physical daily work, to your point.  Was walking a fast as I could walk two miles of checking fences every morning at daylight, but the elderly dog went on strike.  Doc said, leave the dog at the house and do the walk.  Good point, and the increase of back issues seems to coincide with the decrease in the walking.  But, doc also said that bone growth is kinda hard to fix.  

My BIL is a doctor and noted on his global travels that 3rd world countries didn't have near the back problems, they crouch and sit on the back of their legs with nothing else available 

Sitting even in all these ergonomic chairs is one of the worst things on your back 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Price was why I didn't get one of the Purple mattresses.  I have their most expensive seat cushion in the driver seat of my truck, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a mattress again. That's also the problem with Tempur-Pedic and sleep number. Good mattresses but very expensive. I would buy the Casper again. We've had it for a couple of years now.  It should be less than $1,000 and they ship it to your house.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Also on the sleep number thing. The lower end ones what little I've tried them out in store don't seem that comfortable to me unless you go to the pillow top Cadillac Mac daddy model (5000 plus dollars at the time) the lower end ones just didn't feel right to me somehow. Not sure how to describe the feeling but like sleeping on a canvas bag or something. The pillow top model took that feeling away but so expensive we didn't even consider them at the time. And we had already bought the above mattress for around $1000 iirc.

We went kind of middle of the road on our second sleep number. The first lasted about 25 years so the cost per year was way less than mattresses.

The ability to set each side as needed is great.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, hardtail said:

My BIL is a doctor and noted on his global travels that 3rd world countries didn't have near the back problems, they crouch and sit on the back of their legs with nothing else available 

Sitting even in all these ergonomic chairs is one of the worst things on your back 

Yeah, I can see that.  Really, that’s what I’ve done, sitting in an ergo chair, with work from home for most of this last two years… better for farming to lose the commute, but it’s wrecked my back, versus standing at a bench and computer up on a riser at eye level. My posture has been just awful and I’m working on that.  We go back in to the job site in a week.  But, 3hrs a day commute comes back too. The Mercury helped things a lot on that front.  Good bosses and coworkers, so I’m not complaining. Glad to have work.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Price was why I didn't get one of the Purple mattresses.  I have there most expensive seat cushion in the driver seat of my truck, but I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a mattress again. That's also the problem with Tempur-Pedic and sleep number. Good mattresses but very expensive. I would buy the Casper a game. We've had it for a couple of years now.  It should be less than $1,000 and they ship it to your house.

I just joined costco online just a while ago and they have good prices on Casper, compared to other places.  I may give that a shot.  I’m reading that name in articles on arthritis helping mattresses all along. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, hardtail said:

My BIL is a doctor and noted on his global travels that 3rd world countries didn't have near the back problems, they crouch and sit on the back of their legs with nothing else available 

Sitting even in all these ergonomic chairs is one of the worst things on your back 

My lower back will stiffen up if I stand still for very long. Went in for some physical therapy on it probaly 15 ish years ago and therapist said something similar about other countries and how they relax/sit. Said they had lower incidence of knee and hip joint problems too. His theory was that the squating postion forced the natural fluids in more places and helped preserve the stuff inside your knees in particular.  Said he would love to do a case study on it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I watch videos of people squatting in other countries it makes my knees hurt!  I don't see how they do it, but I guess if you have been doing it since you were a kid your body is used to it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

When I watch videos of people squatting in other countries it makes my knees hurt!  I don't see how they do it, but I guess if you have been doing it since you were a kid your body is used to it.

I think weight may have a big part of it.  Ever notice what some of those people in other countries weigh.  Some are 100 lbs or less, most are less than 150.   Average American male is what 180-190 lbs, and a lot of guys are 250+.   I could be a few pounds lighter myself and you can't tell me that the extra weight doesn't affect knees and back along with the extended sitting and lack of exercise/stretching.  Stress plays a big part too.

Just my $0.02, take it for what it cost you.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

I think weight may have a big part of it.  Ever notice what some of those people in other countries weigh.  Some are 100 lbs or less, most are less than 150.   Average American male is what 180-190 lbs, and a lot of guys are 250+.   I could be a few pounds lighter myself and you can't tell me that the extra weight doesn't affect knees and back along with the extended sitting and lack of exercise/stretching.  Stress plays a big part too.

Just my $0.02, take it for what it cost you.

If it ain't number one it is a close second .

I got a little sick this spring and dropped 20 pounds. 

It was right before branding season so still had the weight off. 

Best year I've had in the last five for my crummy knee. 

I have kept the weight off and feel a lot better. 

Think of picking up a bowling ball or two when you leave the house in the morning and carrying it around all day.  

That being said, dropping a few pounds ain't a cure all but it helps.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

If it ain't number one it is a close second .

I got a little sick this spring and dropped 20 pounds. 

It was right before branding season so still had the weight off. 

Best year I've had in the last five for my crummy knee. 

I have kept the weight off and feel a lot better. 

Think of picking up a bowling ball or two when you leave the house in the morning and carrying it around all day.  

That being said, dropping a few pounds ain't a cure all but it helps.

 

i agree.  but, my knees wouldn't allow a squat like that in the last 40yrs.  i intentionally lost 10lb since christmas, and shucked a few more while fighting a wickedly bad antibiotic allergic reaction to doxycycline, prescribed for rocky mtn fever (ticks).  thought this back stuff was part of that, but, GP doc said, nope, fatigue and no appetite was the meds, and he'd seen my MRI and knew what the back pain was about.  but, you're right, i feel a lot better with a total of maybe 15lb less on me.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have had a sleep number for about 25 years now, have been very happy with it. Wife likes it too and that is important. Do not change it the settings very often but there are times that a different setting makes all the difference on a good nights sleep.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, kevinj said:

We went kind of middle of the road on our second sleep number. The first lasted about 25 years so the cost per year was way less than mattresses.

The ability to set each side as needed is great.

I bought the air mattress and will not ever be without one.

You adjust it to your liking. Firm, soft or somewhere in the middle.

Ours you can set each side so the wife sets it to her liking as do I.

The others, you are stuck with the firmness until you get a different one.

I love the adjustability.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a Sleep Number too 

They are Pricey

We got the mid grade the differences are the thickness of the foam top

I figure like others said it will last 15 -20 years will not sag in the middle and it is made in the USA

The firmness is adjustable so if you need it hard or soft for a injury it is possible to adjust at any time

I need to have my head elevated due to gerd problems because I refuse to take the meds so we have the adjustable frame 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

I got a Sleep Number too 

They are Pricey

We got the mid grade the differences are the thickness of the foam top

I figure like others said it will last 15 -20 years will not sag in the middle and it is made in the USA

The firmness is adjustable so if you need it hard or soft for a injury it is possible to adjust at any time

I need to have my head elevated due to gerd problems because I refuse to take the meds so we have the adjustable frame 

i have the acid reflux also, and elevated is the way... mine got tons better after a non voluntary gal bladder removal, but i still take acid inhibitors (nexium otc, 2 a day).  any sweetener (sugar, corn syrup, molassas, fake sweeteners) drives my acid thru the roof.  been over 20yrs since i've had cake/pie/cookies/sodas, anything.  was 60-70% of the issue.  you gotta protect that esophagus from that acid.  

i'll check the sleep number also.  there's a denver mattress store in huntsville where i work and they have a big showroom to try them in.  pretty eager to give another mattress a try.  this numbness in my left leg and foot either need something to help or a surgery.  i got a top back surgeon, if it comes to that.  did work on three friends of mine and is a legend on reputation in huntsville.  best thing:  he grew up middle class working in his dad's mechanic shop doing work for the public and will show up at work with some grease under the fingernails where he still works on cars at home.  of course, i think he cleans up for surgery.   still, talking to that doc gets the same conversation that we'd have here... he's one of us.  said to me, when i said i'd give up tobacco finally, "oh, i still smoke the odd cigar... best times of my life were riding around after a few beers and smoking cigars in the car with dad."   

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...