Think it’ll last until Monday afternoon?

The New Holland discbine had a wheel bearing failure today. The hub is completely destroyed. The dealer had bearings, but no hub. They can probably send someone to the Cameron warehouse to get it on Monday. My brother wanted to run, so we put the bearings in so he could hopefully run until then. There’s not enough hub left to put the grease seal on. Hopefully it lasts that long. It’s a real pain when they don’t have what you need in stock. At least they opened the store for me at 5:00 on a Saturday. 
256419F5-CBA7-4458-AD8A-57B7FC1B1217.thumb.jpeg.fcf29e80be76bb67517c5cfcaf4a1b39.jpeg

• Sad 2

I would say that if the hub has a grease fitting, I would grease often to keep pushing the dirt out of the bearing. I would think it would be fine.

I have a flatbed trailer that has been missing a cap for years and it's bearing is fine. Going down the road isn't nearly as dirty as field work though. 

I'm thinking that could go awhile.  As long as you aren't running down the road there isn't much to loose.  

• Like 1

That will work just fine.  I know a guy that would run that until it failed again and probably try to fix it again.  Whenever we get new hubs we drill them for grease fittings.  We also have a bearing  packer.  As long as everything is full at the start we find they last along time.  We have found many machines that came new from the factory with very little grease at all in the hubs.  Like the bearings are barely covered.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

That will work just fine.  I know a guy that would run that until it failed again and probably try to fix it again.  Whenever we get new hubs we drill them for grease fittings.  We also have a bearing  packer.  As long as everything is full at the start we find they last along time.  We have found many machines that came new from the factory with very little grease at all in the hubs.  Like the bearings are barely covered.  

We have bought a New Holland Speedrower 220. The deal was dependent on the new one coming in for the other guy. His new one didn’t come in, so we didn’t get his trade in. We were going to keep this one for occasional use, but hopefully the amount we use it will be greatly reduced after this year. 

In response to your original question. “Depends if you drive it or not”

just kidding. Wishing you the best at getting to Monday without failure. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Well the hub on the disc mower hasn’t failed again yet and now it doesn’t matter anyway. The new to us mower showed up this morning. 4 months late, but it made it. 

F80427B6-0CE8-4E26-895A-4F0F864738F5.thumb.jpeg.4ed67182a0968d5edc8d08d4143f6907.jpeg

You’re going to like that🥳👍

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I’m not so thrilled with NH mowers in general but you will very hugely like the switch to a self propelled mower. 

What doesn’t thrill you about them?  Our JD works fine but If it wasn’t for the subpar service around here by NH and Agco, I’d have a NH

3 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

What doesn’t thrill you about them?  Our JD works fine but If it wasn’t for the subpar service around here by NH and Agco, I’d have a NH

We had MAJOR failures with the 1431 diskbine in the cutterbar . We never had any issues with the 415 we traded in for it. That 1431 made us switch brands. Massey windrower here now. NH was 24k cheaper ... It was on the lot for a while, Massey we had to have ordered in 

50 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

My brother went from a NH HW325 (14’ sickle head) to a Massey WR9770.  He says the tractor unit is much nicer to operate.  I have found that the Twin Max conditioner that Massey has is more effective than NH's popular rubber chevron.  Before the HW325, my brother owned 2 HW320s and a 2550.  Each step newer was a step dumber.  Maybe NH has improved, we don’t care.  The Massey does what we want.

• Like 1

We had a 1431 years ago and my biggest complaint was the lack of shear hubs. It’s would twist off the little drive shafts between the modules on a regular basis. That said we got along ok. The H7550 has shear hubs, which is much better. I have wanted to go to a self propelled for years, but I’m just one vote. AGCO hay equipment here is non existent, mostly because it’s nearly 2 hours to the closest dealer. I really don’t understand why ACGO doesn’t get a store around here. 

1 hour ago, bitty said:

We had MAJOR failures with the 1431 diskbine in the cutterbar . We never had any issues with the 415 we traded in for it. That 1431 made us switch brands. Massey windrower here now. NH was 24k cheaper ... It was on the lot for a while, Massey we had to have ordered in 

I’m not familiar with pull types and those models.  The one I’m talking about is this. https://agriculture.newholland.com/apac/en/equipment/products/hay-forage/windrower-headers/detail/durabine-disc-headers

I like the fact they offer a 19’ header bigger then anybody else.  Header looks simple too.

49 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

My brother went from a NH HW325 (14’ sickle head) to a Massey WR9770.  He says the tractor unit is much nicer to operate.  I have found that the Twin Max conditioner that Massey has is more effective than NH's popular rubber chevron.  Before the HW325, my brother owned 2 HW320s and a 2550.  Each step newer was a step dumber.  Maybe NH has improved, we don’t care.  The Massey does what we want.

NH didn’t offer steel conditioner rollers??  I can’t remember the last time I saw a chevron conditioner except my NH 1116 which is from the mid 80s.   We run only Macdon and JD for the last 35+ years 

13 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

NH didn’t offer steel conditioner rollers??  I can’t remember the last time I saw a chevron conditioner except my NH 1116 which is from the mid 80s.   We run only Macdon and JD for the last 35+ years 

I'd stick with McDon or JD 

15 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Far as I know NH is mostly rubber chevron. I know they have steel but not common at all as far as I know. The hard core alfalfa guys out west rank the conditioners as Massey and Deere about the same and the best (depends on which Deere version), NH behind them somewhat and MacDon doesn’t even get mentioned. 

6 minutes ago, bitty said:

I'd stick with McDon or JD 

I’ve been down the road with Macdon.  You can keep those.  The only one in the neighborhood with the rotary table got traded for a JD just like ours after a few years.  And JD unless they recently changed doesn’t have cab suspension.  They just came out with newer swathers so maybe they do I don’t know.  Also like I said earlier I wouldn’t mind at least trying the 19’ header from NH.  

5 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Far as I know NH is mostly rubber chevron. I know they have steel but not common at all as far as I know. The hard core alfalfa guys out west rank the conditioners as Massey and Deere about the same and the best (depends on which Deere version), NH behind them somewhat and MacDon doesn’t even get mentioned. 

I’d like to known when they started offering steel conditioners.  They do now and it looks similar to JD so it’s a moot point on which is better.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late to this party, don't know how I missed this thread. 

The farm had a 2303 windrower with a rd182 18 foot header, I think it was a 2009 or 2010 model.  We had to run the machine around the clock when we did a cutting of hay to stay ahead of the chopper. 

It was a great machine to operate. Big roomy cab, good suspension, and Everything was laid out well. All of our issues were with the header. Our had shock hubs. They were a good idea and usually saved the rest of the drive from failure but when you broke one, if you didn't catch it right away, the disk or turtle as we called them would collide with the ones next to it and breaking those hubs. It went right down the line. We even followed the replacement procedure to the T and we still had issues.

We had some trouble with the modules failing but we went to changing the oil every crop, 1200-1500 acres, and that cut down on that.

The biggest pain was we kept twisting the shafts that go between modules. We got very good at tearing that cutter bar apart and putting it back together. I think the shafts were too small and should have been heavier.

I always thought that the base unit had too much power for that header. I always thought that maybe if the engine was throttled back a little bit but you adjusted the header speed up to run were it would normally be it would pull the engine down when the cutting got heavy instead of breaking stuff. Honestly I didn't run the machine much so I was always looked at as the 50 acre expert...who ended up having to fix a torn up header.

After a few years they bought a 4995 Deere with a 16 foot header. It wasn't as nice of a machine to run as the case IH but it would out cut it any day. You would drive the Deere home because all the hay was cut. The case IH would come home because it was broke down.

I hope your machine treats you better and there were improvements made in the years since the one I was around.