Orange bug question?

Well finally bought my wife a new car.  40/50 years ago. Lol.    Been checking it out  not really messing with it much yet.  It's a 73 model.     It's got a 1600 duel port motor. But it's also got a auto stick transmission, I don't know much (anything) about them.  What ya think. 20220709_165828.thumb.jpg.71d390711451c38de080ea7ad4aecb69.jpg20220709_165848.thumb.jpg.f9474e8a91268cf061a2edeba0de2d33.jpg20220709_165841.thumb.jpg.44e4c21878bedab9a76d7ebe8703b75d.jpg

• Like 1

I also am looking into purchasing one 1973 model. Someone told me the 73-74s are easier to work on than the later models. The auto transmission needs to be adjusted periodically so I've been told. Let us know how yours turns out. 

I wouldn't touch the auto stick..not sure if any parts are available anymore. Ive had at least 10 beetles through my younger years ranging from 54 to 69. Not exactly sure when they swapped to the strut(super beetle) front end...but i thought it was 1970.. an easy tell is a curved windshield. 

My reasoning for the opinions i have is the old beam style front end and the smaller windshield. I had a habit of slamming them to the ground. This is the last one i had..a 68 factory sunroof car. The front beam was narrowed 4" and dropped 8". The pan was roughly 3" of the ground. I could drive down the middle of the road and knock the reflectors off. I guess the kids are calling this style a "hoodride"? Lol20130504_084136_IMG_0464.thumb.JPG.bcf9c93b8c1b093efa67d57a5c9057c2.JPG20130504_084154_IMG_0365.thumb.JPG.698dc0c70c3523d19d8bb3461f5d5012.JPG

• Like 1

Overall it looks like a pretty straight un touched car. 1600 dp is common and a great set up too..i swapped up to webbers, urs may have delortos. Can she drive a manual? Ive never done it but i bet that auto stick could be easily swapped out. I had a baja that one could swap the engine and transaxle out in less than an hr with air tools. 

If i were to have one now...i think id find a way to put tracks in the back and skis in the front.😁

Looks good.  Minimal rot.  I have always wanted one.  When i was a kid they could  be bought for $500.  Most have rotted long ago around here and the $500 days have long passed.

We always played the bug game driving on vacation as kids, orange was the most points

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Twolines said:

If i were to have one now...i think id find a way to put tracks in the back and skis in the front.😁

Dad had a '64? Bug and a '72 Squareback. 

He liked the rear engine / rear wheel drive for the traction they got during Nebraska winters. 

Not the snow you see though😄

• Haha 1

I used to run around downtown with a guy that had a VW Beetle 4speed.  Taking off from a red light he would have the shotgun guy hold the steering wheel and he would put one hand on the emergency brake and one on the shifter.  He would give the emergency brake a yank up and screech the back tires and then of course shift, and the next shift he would do it again.  It appeared we were getting rubber in at least two gears.  He was quite good at it.  Anyway, we had a big laugh about it.  

• Haha 2

MIL has a 72’ Ghia, basing my VW Beetle experience solely on that, as they are basically the same Car with a different body, I don’t see the attraction. Hard to get in and out of, poor handling, under powered, which is good because they are under braked as well, the transmission feels like a tooth pick stuck into a rubber ball. Sort of the Ford N series of the auto world. To each their own, but if i were given one, id give it back. 

• Haha 3

I wasn’t looking for one, but couldn’t pass it up.     
it has the auto stick transmission.    I don’t know much about them.  

Pretty sure there is a group of people much like this one that does bugs, I would lurk on the Internet.

• Thanks 1

Just swap out the auto stick and call it a day. Find something of the 68 or later vintage, it will be irs and synchro.

While ur at it git urself a copy of hot vdubs...not that other rag vwtrends.

back in the early 70's i was in the Air Force at Homestead FL. and also worked the day shift at a gas station that still worked on cars, (was about the only place around that would work on them) anything from tire repairs, brakes,clutches, and most anything else. between myself and another guy who was also in the Air Force we could pull the engine out of a bug in about 15 minutes

• Like 1

Yup one of the most simple cars ive ever worked on. 

The funny thing about air cooled vws is them being branded as pos...the real problem is lack of maintenance and basic mechanical knowledge. Most of the beetles i picked up were "blown up" yet i drove them out of the muddy fields they were left in.

Growing up dad had an affection for early vws and we had several sandrails and a few bajas. My sis is older and got her license before me. Dad gave her a 69 bug that was in need of a mild resto to be a daily. Together they had that car going in a week and worked on the cosmetics over a summer. If my sister can do it....well u know, so can anyone.

• Haha 1

Wife's dad bought a fairly nice one for her to drive in the early 80s. She lost it on a gravel road and rolled it. She wasn't seriously hurt but still won't drive over 35 or 40mph  on gravel.

We used to have a yellow one we towed behind a motorhome back in the late 70' and 80's.  It had a tow bar that went under the car with a tongue on it that slipped into a loop on the bottom of the car.  there was a small "crane" with  a winch on it that was attached to the hitch.  Stick the tongue under the car, pin it in place, hoist the front end up and put the tongue on the ball.  It worked slick.  i still have it I believe (the hitch, not the car).

16 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

Easily modified with a few spots of black paint into a "Lady Bug".

You've had a lot of great one liners lately Art that seems lost on the rest...tough crowd...lol

• Haha 2