'59 340 utility PTO

The tractor does not have a PTO. I've included a pic of inside the differential. At the one end is a splined shaft. Would a coupling shaft connect that to the independent PTO? How would I determine if a clutch or planetary type pto is required? There is no ID plate on the tractor. The year I got from the casting dates. What would be the rpm difference of them? Thx for any help!

PTO shaft.jpg

Does this tractor have a TA? I think if it has a TA it will be a planetary type and clutch if not a TA model..... ? 

@DWV

Earlier ones would be planetary or band type. Later ones would be clutch type. Clutch type did not change speeds in the unit. It was just a clutch and brake. Planetary of course had a gear set that changed speeds. So input had to turn faster. A '59 would be an earlier model and I would expect a planetary to be correct. A parts manual should give a tooth count for the front gears so you could verify.

• Like 1

Looks to have the hollow counter shaft to drive like IPTO. Only hitch is a outside chance if it still has what they called a transmission drive PTO  equipped with a T/A, they had to drive it ahead of the T/A because it changed countershaft speed. Way to see if its IPTO drive is being carful have someone hold brakes and put transmission in a forward gear so friction doesn't turn the PTO shaft. Be sure they keep clutch disengaged. Have them hit starter to spin engine, unhook coil wire to keep from starting. Watching through PTO mount hole for shaft spin, if so all you need is the correct PTO unit and extension shaft.  Make sure it doesn't have a serial plate. Lot of people look on the wrong side.  Located on right side or brake pedal side on clutch housing. If found the serial number and suffix letters would answer questions. If you don't have any number the rectangular plate near front of housing can be removed and count gear teeth. Oil needs drained from plug in plate though. Top plate on center housing can also be removed and count teeth on upper PTO drive gear, but probably more work. Only difference in transmission drive with a T/A and IPTO drive is IPTO used a shaft with gear driven from pressure plate. Transmission drive used a shaft with gear driven from clutch plate. Upper and lower drive gears had different number of teeth for both types.

Thank you. That is all very helpful. I don't have a torque amplifier, but, I do have a fast direction reverser. I removed starter to take off the steering box but might reinstall and bump engine like u mentioned. The serial plate is gone. I see where the four fasteners were that held it just where you said it would be. I will also look for the rectangular plate near front of housing. 

1 hour ago, BuckRun said:

Thank you. That is all very helpful. I don't have a torque amplifier, but, I do have a fast direction reverser. I removed starter to take off the steering box but might reinstall and bump engine like u mentioned. The serial plate is gone. I see where the four fasteners were that held it just where you said it would be. I will also look for the rectangular plate near front of housing. 

Think all equipped with a reverser had provision for IPTO. Only seen those with a clutch type PTO but can't say some didn't have a planetary PTO. Not common with reverser and not a lot of 340 around. 

What I found. Rotated flywheel manually (while in forward gear and clutch depressed) since starter was off. PTO drive shaft rotated. Pulled off rectangular cover and counted 56 teeth. Specs say 56 teeth helical  and note C uses planetary independent PTO. I've included pics for reference so we're seeing the same thing and if u see something unusual.  Did I do this correct? Thanks again for everyone's help! 

pto spec2.jpg

pto spec1.jpg

gear b.jpg

gear a.jpg

• Like 1