Anyone seen a $10,000 deer?

Deer as far as I’m concerned are a 4 legged nuisance! And this morning I came across a $10,000 deer! I guess they aren’t very rare?! Anyone else ever see one? 
C756E6E3-AB14-46D0-BF54-6E19555B0A0B.thumb.jpeg.91c40d62672d1f80e3403ff6372fbc42.jpeg5CCED6C6-C0BF-47D9-B8F3-8B8D3B632DE0.thumb.jpeg.851a851f2bb748d41d79155e10636fe3.jpeg

As of the conversation with the body shop, it’s a $10,000 deer, and tomorrow when he sees the truck in person, it might become a higher dollar amount deer?! Hood alone is $4000, and hopefully see it by August! 
Worst part is, I’ve really been thinking about an Ali Arc, or Herd bumper recently! Would have paid off this morning!! 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

• Sad 8

700 miles today in the pickup and I have my Bison home.  
I am here to tell you that even a Dodge dually doesn’t ride and drive like a big truck. I am whipped. And the a/c still isn’t working in the big truck. 

9C36BDD4-6D06-4B79-ACD6-E3A7FC92C5E4.jpeg

D9226E43-3C2F-4FA3-9169-C886443CFB06.jpeg

88340A07-22C0-4528-9D93-5F101740E48E.jpeg

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Deer as far as I’m concerned are a 4 legged nuisance! And this morning I came across a $10,000 deer! I guess they aren’t very rare?! Anyone else ever see one? 
C756E6E3-AB14-46D0-BF54-6E19555B0A0B.thumb.jpeg.91c40d62672d1f80e3403ff6372fbc42.jpeg5CCED6C6-C0BF-47D9-B8F3-8B8D3B632DE0.thumb.jpeg.851a851f2bb748d41d79155e10636fe3.jpeg

As of the conversation with the body shop, it’s a $10,000 deer, and tomorrow when he sees the truck in person, it might become a higher dollar amount deer?! Hood alone is $4000, and hopefully see it by August! 
Worst part is, I’ve really been thinking about an Ali Arc, or Herd bumper recently! Would have paid off this morning!! 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Sad, or maybe the good part is he didn’t take out your radiator and/or a/c and charge air cooler. That’s another 15,000. 
Is there a possible loaner hood? I know Pete has them. 

My wife got one with a Suburban about 10 years ago. 3800 dollars later it was fixed. They get spendy real quick.

Rick 

• Like 1

Bought an aftermarket hood from LDQ truck parts for my 9900i $2k plus $2k freight. A little different but no big deal. Got a Herd bumper on the truck but the front tire blew. Had $8500 in the whole ordeal when it was over hood ,headlight, bezel  ,paint and labor.

.......you can find lots of good Deer down here for a  price, some way  in excess  of $10k US

.......and its mostly Americans  that ''buy''   them, via  a projectile from some super dooper piece of ordnance.....

...me personally , would sooner have the KW

Mike

• Like 2

I remember years ago the insurance company gave out “ deer whistles” to mount on your vehicle. Don’t know if they were effective or not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Sad, or maybe the good part is he didn’t take out your radiator and/or a/c and charge air cooler. That’s another 15,000. 
Is there a possible loaner hood? I know Pete has them. 

I think those 3 things should be ok? It doesn’t show it very well in the pictures, but the bottom right corner of the grill is pushed in a bit.  Everything seemed fine, but I’ll test the charge cooler once I’m back from the body shops inspection.

5 hours ago, nate said:

Dang Blaine.   Take a well deserved rest last week and now this happened!   Ouch

Right! What a nice way to pick up after a great week in the black hills!! 

4 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

Herd bumper will pay for itself. Hit 2 pronghorn antelope at 70 mph. Not a scratch . Knock the SOBs 200 ft.

Like I stated above, been wanting to get one! Now if I had it, I’d be money ahead! 

4 hours ago, MarkG said:

I remember years ago the insurance company gave out “ deer whistles” to mount on your vehicle. Don’t know if they were effective or not.

I think of the money insurance companies would save if they encouraged people to install bumper grill guards by discounting premiums.

My logic has fell on deaf ears with my company even though I bring it up with each install.

I will continue to put them on everything I own to reduce downtime if nothing else.

From the Herd on the Pete to the Ranch Hand on the Ford. 

Well worth the investment.

IMG_20220410_200400.thumb.jpg.4100948af1f186ccbd868ea81000ffbf.jpgIMG_20220608_151649498_HDR.thumb.jpg.433949a72332842f857cd0ac40986fd3.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

I think of the money insurance companies would save if they encouraged people to install bumper grill guards by discounting premiums.

My logic has fell on deaf ears with my company even though I bring it up with each install.

I will continue to put them on everything I own to reduce downtime if nothing else.

From the Herd on the Pete to the Ranch Hand on the Ford. 

Well worth the investment.

IMG_20220410_200400.thumb.jpg.4100948af1f186ccbd868ea81000ffbf.jpgIMG_20220608_151649498_HDR.thumb.jpg.433949a72332842f857cd0ac40986fd3.jpg

Looks like our collection - kangaroos the main problem here

6 hours ago, MarkG said:

My buddy that drives for UPS said every semi they owned went into the shop to have deer whistles installed, and a couple months later went into the shop to have them removed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DR.EVIL said:

My buddy that drives for UPS said every semi they owned went into the shop to have deer whistles installed, and a couple months later went into the shop to have them removed.

They worked about that well for kangaroos

We also had an electronic version with a loud speaker on the front.  I heard that described as your "dot point sight" for centreing contact

• Haha 1

All our semis at work have grill guards.  They run around the clock and the guards have saved a lot of damage, especially for those driving on the night shift.

I remember as a kid my Grandparents put out salt blocks by their timber just trying to see a deer.  Those days are gone....stupid things are thick now.  And yet a lot of people still spend a fortune on food plots for them.

My wife and I did a trip to NYC when the kids were little. On the way home we did a pee stop/driver change and just when we got back on the highway my wife hit a big buck. Suburban was still drivable, lady trucker behind us stopped and provided a bungee to keep radiator out of fan. Steering cooler slightly leaking but not bad. Damage was in the 4k range.

I came real close to hitting a Bull Elk on highway 82 in Aspen one night. He owned the road and didn't even move. Luckily I wasn't moving fast and was able to swerve. We used to see lots of strikes on I70 but they've fenced most of it. Elk are huge and will really ruin your day.

put one in orbit at 72 mph with the 94 W-900 I used to drive. Never saw it come out of the ditch so nothing I could do but hit the stupid thing. Sent it across the road in front of another truck and wrapped it around a sign post. Put a slight dent in the bumper and bent some of the bottom of the grille. Got super lucky on that one.

• Like 1

My Brother routinely ran Houston to El Paso in his old Freightliner.  He kept rolls of duct-tape to tape the lights back to the grill/fender after  hitting the deer all over I10.  I was in  Yellowstone NP, taking pictures of the Bison wandering around, one came to the drivers window on the old Ramcharger, and told me to get off his road. Those animals are massive and stinky!!

• Haha 2

An animal that is just as expensive is a coon in the radiator...and you dont have to drive down the highway to have to deal with one, either. I'd hate to think of the $$$ involved for all the repairs we've had to make on various pieces of farm equipment(combines, sprayers, tractors, etc.) over the years for damaged radiators, a/c condensors, air-to-air intercoolers, hydraulic coolers, etc. due to someone starting up a machine with a coon in the fan area. Makes the most disgusting of messes with all the "coon debris" in the cooler area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, myfirstinternational284 said:

I don't want to hit any more deer either (have hit 3 to date), but my comprehesive insurance covers all the cost, except the $100 deductible.

I have a decent sized deductible but that’s minor. The down time is what kills me. Yeah the cost is terrible, but if I am down for a month, that’s another 60,000 dollars. 

• Sad 1