5288 shifting

mrfred54

Have read one here before about the shift interlock being disconnected to help shifting. What does that consist of?? Just remove the line and cap off the fittings or is there more involved. This tractor has a hard time getting in mid. range and reverse. Hi and lo are fine.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:50 PM, mrfred54 said:

Have read one here before about the shift interlock being disconnected to help shifting. What does that consist of?? Just remove the line and cap off the fittings or is there more involved. This tractor has a hard time getting in mid. range and reverse. Hi and lo are fine.

Removing the speed shift interlock will not help the range shifting, S-4741 shows how to remove it.

S-4741_001.JPG

S-4741_002.JPG

• Like 1

Up date on this tractor. Finally got to customers farm to look at this. Didn't know if it even had the interlock,was just wondering if it did and I know it is only for the speed tranny, but I have heard about removing it. Thank you Maynard for the info. But back to the range transmission, it shifts good in high and medium but will not shift into reverse or low. Tries to move forward in low but nothing in reverse, just grinds. Kinda feels like the shift fork may be broke?? Any suggestions.

1 hour ago, mrfred54 said:

Up date on this tractor. Finally got to customers farm to look at this. Didn't know if it even had the interlock,was just wondering if it did and I know it is only for the speed tranny, but I have heard about removing it. Thank you Maynard for the info. But back to the range transmission, it shifts good in high and medium but will not shift into reverse or low. Tries to move forward in low but nothing in reverse, just grinds. Kinda feels like the shift fork may be broke?? Any suggestions.

Set screws may have come lose on shift fork, have had that happen. But there's also the ball joints that connects shift shaft to shift lever. Sounds like there's too much slack in shift action somewhere.

• Like 1

I agree with Mike and TB5288, the set screw may be out of the fork, our 5088 suddenly lost reverse, but still had low, but barely. Looking back, it always was a little loose shifting reverse and low. Anyway, on ours, lower and remove the auxiliary fuel tank and work thru the access plate on the side of the transmission. I had to replace the detent spring, it was damaged, and after I tightened the set screw, I put a bolt with a nut on it in the set screw hole with locktight and tightened the nut down so that it blocks the hole so the set screw won't just loosen up and have to be fixed again. Shifted great after that.

• Like 1