IH 1086 PTO pressure

I had my 1086 PTO rebuilt a year ago and I thought that I had the initial pressure reading to be around 40 PSI. My current pressure at 1000 RPM is 240 PSI. I started to have what I think is an issue of my PTO not coming on when I engage it. It seems that I would have to rev it up higher than normal. So Back to the book and started testing everything. I do not have 40 psi at the B position following the procedure in the book. It says to get it up to 1000 rpm and then disengaged the PTO. I am assuming that I rev it down then check the B position. I tried it both ways at an Idle and still at the 1000 RPM. No difference. I have about 20 psi. I took the valve out and found that it already had the 5 shims that the book said I would need at 20 PSI to get to 40 PSI. I took them out to see if anything would change and it did not. I did notice that the control valve was scarred up about a 1/4 or less near the top of that valve. Not bad but it seems to have been rubbing on something.  Could that be part of my problem. Plenty of Hytran on the stick. What RPM should my PTO engage if everything is working as it should. The PTO stops when I shut it off with nothing hooked up. Nothing seems to be slipping. Is the 40 PSI critical to the PTO function?  Thanks

The 40 psi isn't critical to operation, but it is preferable...more than once I've seen this problem because the "cup" on the spool has been installed upside down. 

As far as the normal engagement of yours, I would rather think you have cut, worn, or old seal or o-ring that may not have been replaced when overhauled. Could also possibly be a flaw in the casting, too, I suppose.

More often than not I've seen people rebuild these units and not replace every single o-ring or seal because "those never give problems"....well, after 40++ years....yeah, they do.

Travis

• Like 2

Sparky,

The cup is down, not in the upper spring, I do believe it is right? The book is very good but some things are not so clear. 

Thanks, I am trying to learn and there is so much. Appreciate it. 

4 hours ago, Andejo said:

Sparky,

The cup is down, not in the upper spring, I do believe it is right? The book is very good but some things are not so clear. 

Thanks, I am trying to learn and there is so much. Appreciate it. 

See if this illustration taken from the 66 series manual is better.

PTO Control Spool.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sparky said:

This pic works well, too...this is Maynard's pic, also, if I remember correctly. 

2103421239_IHptospool.jpg.c75bd9937a318a09b7efd04a79be8376.jpg

Travis

That is how it is installed, thank you.

Now my pressure is set to about 240 and it works but now my pto spins when it is not engaged. I can stop it with the bottom of my boot. But I don't like that I have a new problem. 

21 minutes ago, Andejo said:

That is how it is installed, thank you.

Now my pressure is set to about 240 and it works but now my pto spins when it is not engaged. I can stop it with the bottom of my boot. But I don't like that I have a new problem. 

I'm betting on cut/worn/old seals or just simply bad brakes.

Travis