Jump to content

...for the Truckers that run the long hauls in the US of A


Recommended Posts

..is this the future   for @ihrondiesel  and @Lazy WP  and the other blokes that haul produce ....

...do you sit at home  watching   "'Yellowstone""...and the likes ...and every now and then just check on your white mans magic 'phone as to where your white mans magic   automated  Peterbuilt has got  to...make sure there  are no hippy vans or whatever gathered up on the front grill....................................

...or will ''they'' just use these trucks in Texas ...

Mike

1657052206575  long haulrobot.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

True story, I may have told it before.  I got a call to load cattle on Monday morning in McLaughlin, SD.  I left late Sunday afternoon for a leisurely 6 hour drive up there.  The dispatcher hadn’t said anything about where we were loading, so I assumed a sale barn (1st mistake).  About halfway there, I punched “McLaughlin livestock sales” into the ‘white man’s magic phone’, and it came up with a map and an address, just a block off the main highway (2nd mistake). When I got there, I took a left off the highway (3rd mistake).  After going two blocks, it became apparent to me that there was no sale barn there.  “Not a big deal, I’ll just find a place to turn around and park at the elevator back there”, I thought (4th mistake).  After 4 blocks, the town ended suddenly. Well, go to the next mile road and turn around, right? I found the next mile road OK, but the intersection was on a hill and a curve.  “Can’t be that bad, I’ll go a mile west and turn around at the intersection (5th mistake).  The road turned from gravel to dirt after a mile, and there was no intersection. “But I see a light up ahead, bet I can turn around there!” (6th mistake).  The dirt road angled hard to the left, but the light was closer, no turning back now. The road ended 50 yards from a mobile home, which had all the lights on and was surrounded by pickups. I had slowed almost to a crawl, looking forward a place to turn around, when I spied tracks going around the house on both ends. So, I grabbed a couple gears and did a hot lap around a trailer house In the Middle of Nowhere, SD, at 11:30 on a Sunday night, and put the hammer down and got back to town and parked at the elevator, which I should have done in the first place.  That ‘white mans magic phone’ lost a whole lot of luster that night. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have seen them here in Tucson now and then. Supposedly they run between Nogales and Phoenix or between the Port of Tucson and Phoenix. Can't remember the name, the two I saw did have drivers in them. Maybe they were on a checkout run before turning them loose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder how many of those the R.R. underpass, 3 blocks south of the Capitol building, in Pierre, S.D. , is gonna catch.

GPS keeps telling truckers they can go that way, but the bridge is only marked for 10 Ft. clearance.   It's a tough one tho....

Mike

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have both the white mans magic phone, as well as a high dollar super dooper truck GPS. I can’t remember what town it was in Minnesota, but I missed a detour in the middle of road construction and took the first decent looking street thinking I could get turned around. Pretty sure the nice houses around that golf course have never before nor since, had a Peterbilt and 50 foot hopper crossing manicured lawns. 
Never did find the detour. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

would think you would need a "pilot" on board for loading and unloading, but, general travel seems like auto drive would be the way to go.

As long as the pilot was awake and ready to take over if something went awry.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's the thing. Until they are perfected you are going to have a human on board to at least take over and get the truck stopped in the event of a malfunction. The trucking companies just won't take that responsibility or liability of an accident. But I suspect that they will experience the same problems some farmers had with hired operators playing games and watching videos on that ole cell phone. Can't fix a malfunction or take control if you ain't aware of the problem in the first place. But brace for it, self drive is coming sooner or later.

 

Rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still think the days of a driver using it as auto pilot are on the horizon.

driver gets the truck loaded and onto the interstate. Sets the computer and climbs into the sleeper.  Then gets an alarm and comes up front to drive into an area that a human is better at.  In one move you get the benefits of teams with one employee.  As the costs of labor rise, the economics will work.  Look at milking robots, who would have thought that would pencil out?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ihrondiesel   and  @Lazy WP......

Re the "" white mans magic '  bit...when I worked those three years in the Caribbean.....my tasks included the very onerous task of trying to teach blokes,that couldn't really speak English beyond  ''show me start..show me stop''...this for'''driving '' the Class Eight 6x4 trucks....  or   '''sun glass  good for weld ''...in the again  vain endeavor   of trying to teach these blokes to weld  ...and many other tasks....

Thus..I would explain  in great detail about how to go about these jobs...but I might have just as well said  "'Did you get lucky last night ?"'...or something equally inane...because on asking  the question...."'Do you understand that ?''...they , to a man, would  say'' Yeeeesss ''   which translates into   "'No, we haven't a f***ing clue ".......so as time went on...and I learnt a little bit of Spanish......and an even less little bit of Creole'...if the answers to their questions  were beyond my capability , to answer in a way in which they just might understand....I would reply...''Ah....just white mans magic''...This covered all bases, so to speak...and became a bit of a 'catchphrase'   around the 400  odd blokes on the job site...

You would hear in very bad English..."'Ho ...that be poppa Mike and his white magic'' ....You had to be there to hear that...it was funny

Mike

pic...no white mans magic there......

post-157-1186910450  flat mack.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

True story, I may have told it before.  I got a call to load cattle on Monday morning in McLaughlin, SD.  I left late Sunday afternoon for a leisurely 6 hour drive up there.  The dispatcher hadn’t said anything about where we were loading, so I assumed a sale barn (1st mistake).  About halfway there, I punched “McLaughlin livestock sales” into the ‘white man’s magic phone’, and it came up with a map and an address, just a block off the main highway (2nd mistake). When I got there, I took a left off the highway (3rd mistake).  After going two blocks, it became apparent to me that there was no sale barn there.  “Not a big deal, I’ll just find a place to turn around and park at the elevator back there”, I thought (4th mistake).  After 4 blocks, the town ended suddenly. Well, go to the next mile road and turn around, right? I found the next mile road OK, but the intersection was on a hill and a curve.  “Can’t be that bad, I’ll go a mile west and turn around at the intersection (5th mistake).  The road turned from gravel to dirt after a mile, and there was no intersection. “But I see a light up ahead, bet I can turn around there!” (6th mistake).  The dirt road angled hard to the left, but the light was closer, no turning back now. The road ended 50 yards from a mobile home, which had all the lights on and was surrounded by pickups. I had slowed almost to a crawl, looking forward a place to turn around, when I spied tracks going around the house on both ends. So, I grabbed a couple gears and did a hot lap around a trailer house In the Middle of Nowhere, SD, at 11:30 on a Sunday night, and put the hammer down and got back to town and parked at the elevator, which I should have done in the first place.  That ‘white mans magic phone’ lost a whole lot of luster that night. 

The funny thing is, if there was a youtube video of you doing that hot lap around the trailer house, you'd probably comment about the "idiot trucker" who put himself in that position.

So ultimately what was the shortcoming of the phone? Wrong exit? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr. Mike's "trials and tribulations" could not have been any more trying than those that come working in a culture where "IN'SHALLAH", cures EVERYTHING.

But, I have worked with, and supervised locals that WERE excellent workers, and in some cases, more knowledgeable than myself, willing to learn, BUT NEVER given the chance to put their learning into practice, other than on the simplest of jobs.

And, the WHITE man has gone a long way in establishing himself as being "The Ugly American".  (And, I will admit to being part of that stereotype, when traveling)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who holds the liability in a wreck, owner, auto pilot system company, truck manufacturer, satellite owners that provide the guidance?? Can't blame the truck driver like usual. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JaredT said:

Can't blame the truck driver like usual. 

Of course, the 'driver' would be at fault, some poor bloke would be chosen for NOT properly monitoring his video screen, or for failing to properly control his joystick.

Look at how the MEDIA are attempting to blame the engineer of the AmTrak train that collided with a gravel truck in Missouri for being at fault.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The funny thing is, if there was a youtube video of you doing that hot lap around the trailer house, you'd probably comment about the "idiot trucker" who put himself in that position.

So ultimately what was the shortcoming of the phone? Wrong exit? 

It was ultimately my fault for assuming that what the phone was showing me was indeed a sale barn. There very well may have been a legitimate “McLaughlin livestock sales” at that location but it could have been nothing more than an office.  But all is well that ends well and it made for a good story. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And having been there, I doubt that you’d get an “idiot trucker” comment from me. That wasn’t the last notable experience I had behind the wheel, and it ended better and much easier than some others. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

It was ultimately my fault for assuming that what the phone was showing me was indeed a sale barn. There very well may have been a legitimate “McLaughlin livestock sales” at that location but it could have been nothing more than an office.  But all is well that ends well and it made for a good story. 

I have one of those expensive Garmin's too.

I have a friend lives about five miles south of Valentine.

If you zoom into his ranch location Garmin says it's a Super 8🤣

He doesn't have any rooms for rent but he does have some nice deer😄

STC_0740.thumb.JPG.7e8863a3545e92c621f3fb120cc8995d.JPG

 

Glitches happen.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sandhiller said:

I have one of those expensive Garmin's too.

I have a friend lives about five miles south of Valentine.

If you zoom into his ranch location Garmin says it's a Super 8🤣

He doesn't have any rooms for rent but he does have some nice deer😄

STC_0740.thumb.JPG.7e8863a3545e92c621f3fb120cc8995d.JPG

 

Glitches happen.

TomTom used to send people through Shane and Buzz Kime’s yard on towards Mullen. 40 years ago you used to be able to go that way, but you damn sure aren’t going to take a Goldwing across that way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lazy WP said:

TomTom used to send people through Shane and Buzz Kime’s yard on towards Mullen. 40 years ago you used to be able to go that way, but you damn sure aren’t going to take a Goldwing across that way. 

I have not taken that road but know of it.

If you take it because Tom Tom told you to.

You have no business on it and will probably need rescued.😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, mikem said:

I wonder how many of those the R.R. underpass, 3 blocks south of the Capitol building, in Pierre, S.D. , is gonna catch.

GPS keeps telling truckers they can go that way, but the bridge is only marked for 10 Ft. clearance.   It's a tough one tho....

Mike

I'm sure there are others, but that RR bridge has its own Facebook page. This time of the year it gets hit probably an average of once every 2 weeks or so. The bridge has a better win/loss record than the Harlem Globetrotters. Its over 100 years old and never loss against any modern trucks. 

Screenshot_20220706-170811_Facebook.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

I have not taken that road but know of it.

If you take it because Tom Tom told you to.

You have no business on it and will probably need rescued.😄

Verily, I beseech thee for pictures!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

Verily, I beseech thee for pictures!

Jeff might know for sure, but I think Ted Turner owns all of it now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...