4.3 V6 in a B.O.A.T.

Doesn’t like to idle, then starts hard after it dies.  It’s a 1990 vintage, carbeurated.  I think a new starter is in order, as it always cranks, but rather slowly.  I’m curious what it would take to convert it to some form of fuel injection.  Or am I better off to just find a really good carb doctor?  And yes, I’ve heard the boat jokes, but don’t let me stop you. 

No good answers from me, I had one in a 1988 boat . It started like a good 466 . Almost before u turn the key. I’m sure boats get gunked up as much as some run .  Have you tried sea foam , 

27 minutes ago, jimw said:

No good answers from me, I had one in a 1988 boat . It started like a good 466 . Almost before u turn the key. I’m sure boats get gunked up as much as some run .  Have you tried sea foam , 

I dumped 2 cans of Sea Foam in yesterday before we headed out.  It did cure the problem of not wanting to get past 2,000 RPM without dying like it had done on the last couple outings. 

Coming from you Ron I thought youda be wantin' to stuff a 6NZ in her💪🏻    😂

• Haha 2

Probably Rochester dual jet. That is what the autos used. A good cleaning will usually fix them. There are aftermarket fuel injection systems that run around 1500 for many makes of engines. I know all the older muscle car guys around here are carefully swapping to fuel injection but saving their original parts. The cars are just so much easier to take out and drive with fuel injection. Myself I know the pain of pumping a carburetor hoping they will fre or flooding one.

The fact that it runs better means your on the right path, good enough is further down the lake

• Like 1

B.reak

O.ut

A.nother

T.housand

Or, a boat is a hole in the water you throw money in.

Cousin had a 4-Winns ski-boat with a 4.3 in it. I think it had a holley 2-v on it. Ran great.

• Like 1

These guys did a great job on the Carter AFB's on the 440's in my boat.  They test run them all and the turn around is quick because they send you a rebuild one right off the shelf (at least they did when i used them before all of the recent craziness).  Look under the "Marine" section.

https://www.carburetion.com/

• Like 1

My brother has a 305 in a sea-ray. They sit around, get crap in the fuel system, get crud in the cooling system. I really would start with the basics. Clean fuel from the tank, good filter, good lines and clean the carb. Personally  IMO it ran great when new, and will continue to do so if tuned up. FI isn’t the solution in lieu of routine maintenance. 

• Like 2

my 4 zinger of that vintage has a 4bbl quadrajunk on it yes i said 4 bbl with a 4cyl engine its prob a rochester 2bbl - mom n dads 4.3 has what looks like throttle body injection on it 

Had a boat once with an in-line 6. Would not start as long as you were cranking it, would start as you let off the switch. Starter solenoid when cranking would bypass the coil resistor but the contacts where bad and caused the no start issue. 

John

• Like 1

I have been running gas engined cars since 1952, all new ones since 1983 have had fuel injection.  Once I add an electric fuel pump to a carb it is every bit as easy starting as FI. AND even if the carb has to be worked on it is normally much cheaper than fuel injection to repair, for us do it owerselvers!  What I really dislike is the fuel pump in the tank, many dodge trucks have a hole cut in the floor of the bed to access the pump.  On the Suburban the 43 gallon tank has to be removed to access like the dodge and ford but a Suburban does not like a hole in the rear floor. (the last FP failed with 40 gallons of fuel in the tank) I put a rebuilt TB on the 93 454 chevy, cost more than a rebuilt Q-jet would have cost.  The good Holley FI kit is around $3000, exactly how does that pay for it-s self in a normally driven car.

Last month I put a kit in the Edelbrock 7011 carb on the antique 440 Dodge, first maintenance since 2005, kit price has gone from less than $10. in 73 to $60 and shipping today.

About this time someone should remind me that I have never spent a winter in Wisconsin!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Coming from you Ron I thought youda be wantin' to stuff a 6NZ in her💪🏻    😂

Nah, he wants a C-16!

• Haha 1

I think a V-12-71 would do the trick. They turn a little tighter than the 3408!

18 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I think a V-12-71 would do the trick. They turn a little tighter than the 3408!

Well, I think I know where there is a 16V71 for sale……

Slow cranking may, or may not be the starter motor. I'd take a good look at the cables, both power and ground and the battery shut-off switch if it has one. It's kind of a hostile environment, especially salt water.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

Doesn’t like to idle, then starts hard after it dies.  It’s a 1990 vintage, carbeurated.  I think a new starter is in order, as it always cranks, but rather slowly.  I’m curious what it would take to convert it to some form of fuel injection.  Or am I better off to just find a really good carb doctor?  And yes, I’ve heard the boat jokes, but don’t let me stop you. 

When I see a poor idle my first thought is a vacuum leak. Hook up a vacuum gauge and see what you have at idle, it should be in the neighborhood of 20 inches of vacuum. If you have 15 or less that's a leak. You can find it by spraying carb cleaner at the areas you think might be the culprit while it's running, if the engine runs different that means it started sucking in the carb cleaner. I would start at the carb base gasket and the intake gaskets as those would be the most likely problem.

As far as converting to efi, you could do it with an aftermarket kit, or you could use 4.3 tbi setup from 90s gm pickup, but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. Getting the carb cleaned and rebuilt would be a lot cheaper and easier. Then make sure you run some stabil through it before you put it away in the fall.