Jump to content

Deadbeat mom, hamburger?


Recommended Posts

So our last heifer finally calved. I found the calf behind the barn but mom was out hanging with the girls. I was thankful she calved fine by herself but could tell that the calf wasn’t completely cleaned up. I went and got her and locked her in the barnyard with the calf but she didn’t show any interest. I let them be for the night but when I checked on them yesterday morning I got the impression he didn’t nurse yet. I locked her in the head gate and got him nursing, did the same thing last night and this morning. Hopefully she comes around!F6FEF811-847C-4959-9F18-601E886EC805.thumb.jpeg.8ac7fcd874ecfdd61428976afe946d6b.jpeg7B96984B-3925-47D8-B511-26623BCC7C81.thumb.jpeg.6c3579c9f200ffa938e2483fe6ef8507.jpegAD18E7C3-9432-49D6-B578-AB5BBFCD36D4.thumb.jpeg.1b9c9de5d5dab7db568780b2c0d71d47.jpeg25D3C11E-7606-4972-BD60-AB3F203D558B.thumb.jpeg.3994555a1a5250f21d435ad42ef85c92.jpeg5D9A7617-5368-42BE-A5C3-A85438194C7C.thumb.jpeg.2180415a44f82185384d5d7b43e25ce7.jpeg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

So our last heifer finally calved. I found the calf behind the barn but mom was out hanging with the girls. I was thankful she calved fine by herself but could tell that the calf wasn’t completely cleaned up. I went and got her and locked her in the barnyard with the calf but she didn’t show any interest. I let them be for the night but when I checked on them yesterday morning I got the impression he didn’t nurse yet. I locked her in the head gate and got him nursing, did the same thing last night and this morning. Hopefully she comes around!F6FEF811-847C-4959-9F18-601E886EC805.thumb.jpeg.8ac7fcd874ecfdd61428976afe946d6b.jpeg7B96984B-3925-47D8-B511-26623BCC7C81.thumb.jpeg.6c3579c9f200ffa938e2483fe6ef8507.jpegAD18E7C3-9432-49D6-B578-AB5BBFCD36D4.thumb.jpeg.1b9c9de5d5dab7db568780b2c0d71d47.jpeg25D3C11E-7606-4972-BD60-AB3F203D558B.thumb.jpeg.3994555a1a5250f21d435ad42ef85c92.jpeg5D9A7617-5368-42BE-A5C3-A85438194C7C.thumb.jpeg.2180415a44f82185384d5d7b43e25ce7.jpeg

We have had some that took a couple weeks or more of training in the head gate. Some never accept the valve though. We have had some be okay as second calvers and some never want their calves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes you get one like that. We had one heifer this year. She calved easy, then she got up and backed up and just stared at the calf looking like, "what am I supposed to do now?" In the meantime another cow calved in the next pen beside in the barn and she got up and started licking the calf. The heifer was watching the cow with her fresh calf and about 20 minutes later the heifer would take one lick of her calf, then look at the cow, then back to her calf. About 15 minutes of that then she figured out what to do and licked her calf dry

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Sometimes you get one like that. We had one heifer this year. She calved easy, then she got up and backed up and just stared at the calf looking like, "what am I supposed to do now?" In the meantime another cow calved in the next pen beside in the barn and she got up and started licking the calf. The heifer was watching the cow with her fresh calf and about 20 minutes later the heifer would take one lick of her calf, then look at the cow, then back to her calf. About 15 minutes of that then she figured out what to do and licked her calf dry

Guess I have been a little bite backwards. Most every one around here will calve heifers first. I always turn the bulls out with heifers 2 weeks later. The cows and 1st calf heifers all run together at calving time.  So just like stated above the heifers see  whats going on. Haven't had a problem with heifers taking their calf.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the first time I’ve had to deal with this, I don’t think the heat and flies help any. I locked her up three times today but tonight she resisted going in pretty hard. He is doing well, gets his fill and hops away. I have a cow calving soon also and plan on putting her in with these two. Hopefully it will help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, rrr4quality said:

This is the first time I’ve had to deal with this, I don’t think the heat and flies help any. I locked her up three times today but tonight she resisted going in pretty hard. He is doing well, gets his fill and hops away. I have a cow calving soon also and plan on putting her in with these two. Hopefully it will help.

Put an aggressive dog in with them. If she doesn’t mother up then, put her in the fat pen. 
I finally got done calving today. 70 day calving period for 2 cows. 😡

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has worked more times than not. Have the calf nurse from behind and let the heifer urinate on him to get the heifer scent on him. Or catch some urine and pour on him to get her scent.  It may take a few days 

Had the dog thing happen once and the dog wasn't aggressive. Had a heifer calve and a hour or so later the kids showed up with a dog. The dog ran into the pen about half ways before the heifer chased the dog out.  That calf never got tagged until it was separated from mommy. That cow was on the look out to chase any one or thing that came close to her calf.  2nd calf same way so down the road she went.  I don't need cows like that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

So our last heifer finally calved. I found the calf behind the barn but mom was out hanging with the girls. I was thankful she calved fine by herself but could tell that the calf wasn’t completely cleaned up. I went and got her and locked her in the barnyard with the calf but she didn’t show any interest. I let them be for the night but when I checked on them yesterday morning I got the impression he didn’t nurse yet. I locked her in the head gate and got him nursing, did the same thing last night and this morning. Hopefully she comes around!F6FEF811-847C-4959-9F18-601E886EC805.thumb.jpeg.8ac7fcd874ecfdd61428976afe946d6b.jpeg7B96984B-3925-47D8-B511-26623BCC7C81.thumb.jpeg.6c3579c9f200ffa938e2483fe6ef8507.jpegAD18E7C3-9432-49D6-B578-AB5BBFCD36D4.thumb.jpeg.1b9c9de5d5dab7db568780b2c0d71d47.jpeg25D3C11E-7606-4972-BD60-AB3F203D558B.thumb.jpeg.3994555a1a5250f21d435ad42ef85c92.jpeg5D9A7617-5368-42BE-A5C3-A85438194C7C.thumb.jpeg.2180415a44f82185384d5d7b43e25ce7.jpeg

Keep posting pictures of your Herefords . I like the way they look, cute and cuddly set of nice looking cows and calves you have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Put an aggressive dog in with them. If she doesn’t mother up then, put her in the fat pen. 
I finally got done calving today. 70 day calving period for 2 cows. 😡

Doesn't matter if you got 2 or 200. Always seems to be that one that drags it out lol. We spring and fall calve so any late spring ones I just call them early fall calvers lol. We're never really "done" calving, just get a few months break at the start of winter lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first calf heifers go the other way.

Want to mother everyone.

IMG_20220702_105743089.thumb.jpg.8fbbcef8e1f53f503d7309fc7dd8af7e.jpg

I guess in a way not unlike people in the sandhills.

If a family couldn't care for a child. Another family took them in and raised them as their own.

I've never seen that to the extent as in Hooker and Cherry counties.

No welfare no government intervention. 

Just people caring for people.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sandhiller said:

My first calf heifers go the other way.

Want to mother everyone.

IMG_20220702_105743089.thumb.jpg.8fbbcef8e1f53f503d7309fc7dd8af7e.jpg

I guess in a way not unlike people in the sandhills.

If a family couldn't care for a child. Another family took them in and raised them as their own.

I've never seen that to the extent as in Hooker and Cherry counties.

No welfare no government intervention. 

Just people caring for people.

Ironic names for adjacent jurisdictions...

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, dale560 said:

Keep posting pictures of your Herefords . I like the way they look, cute and cuddly set of nice looking cows and calves you have.

Thanks, I do have a lot of pictures of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i sure hope she gets her act together as a mom - there for a minute i thot u said u knocked her in the head vs locked her in the head..................maybe she needs an attitude adjustment although that seldom works on most anyone man or beast 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...