Liquid tire ballast - what do I have here??

12_Guy

I just bought a new to me compact loader tractor. It pains me admit that it is Green.  Not Oliver either. 
The rear tires are loaded but I’m not sure what they used. It is blueish green. It definitely doesn’t taste like calcium but I’m not sure if it is washer fluid either. What does the beet juice look or taste like. I’m mainly concerned about corrosion. The rims have a bit of rust starting but it may not have anything to do with the ballast. TIA. 12DA31C4-FDEF-4893-BB53-21EFAE26FF26.thumb.jpeg.16450ce0b12600f65dab27fbbb44cc9f.jpegD174F362-3D4F-4D07-B361-4D8796AEC734.thumb.jpeg.8f1ab948da3d3e91c4c1bdacaa5cd23a.jpegEdit: really hoping that you guys don’t say its Deere piss since I tasted it and all. 

• Haha 5

No idea but I'm guessing  the surface rust on the rims isn't from the liquid.  There are some proprietary corrosion  free concoctions out there.  Rim guard comes to mind?  I bought a tractor from the south once and they had filled all 4 tires with water.

• Haha 1

I'm guessing it's washer fluid. Beet juice looks similar to molasses and a sweetish smell, sticky and non corrosive 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bitty said:

I'm guessing it's washer fluid. Beet juice looks similar to molasses and a sweetish smell, sticky and non corrosive 

If you have ever been around a beet plant, it stinks to high heaven. And is extremely corrosive, anyway the stuff from Scottsbluff Nebraska is. 

1 minute ago, Lazy WP said:

If you have ever been around a beet plant, it stinks to high heaven. And is extremely corrosive, anyway the stuff from Scottsbluff Nebraska is. 

We have a few tubeless tires with beet juice and it hasn't had any noticable corrosion issues .... yet 

2 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

As did the one at Torrington, WY, and the one at Ft. Morgan. CO.

Also ranking right up there with a rendering plant.

3 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

As did the one at Torrington, WY, and the one at Ft. Morgan. CO.

Also ranking right up there with a rendering plant.

8 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I'm guessing it stinks after it spoiled? I assume it's like silage, smells good when made and opened but it has a short shelf life before it goes down hill 

1 hour ago, bitty said:

Thanks Bitty, I thought it would be darker and possibly sweet.

This stuff is just not as blue as I expected. Probably picked up some of the tire's black color. My first thought was washer fluid but the color and taste/smell threw me off. 

1 hour ago, bitty said:

We have a few tubeless tires with beet juice and it hasn't had any noticable corrosion issues .... yet 

I thought that was the point?

Some sort of cryotek type antifreeze? Thats pink but perhaps a different version? 

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm guessing that it is something non corrosive.  Probably washer fluid. As far as the comments about tasting,  I try smelling and general looks first but sometimes resort to taste because my sniffer doesn't work so well. Wife says I can't smell anything but that's certainly not true. My nose is just not as hyper sensitive as her instrument. Probably sniffed too much PVC glue in my life. 

Could it be used antifreeze? If so, could have all types mixed in with who knows what kind of sealer, flushing additives, etc.

21 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Tasting wouldn’t be my first choice...

Pussy

• Haha 2

I wouldn't taste unknown tire fluids. We got one euro tractor that had methanol in the rear tires. Not good for you, especially if you get some in your eyes. Really light per gallon also 

On a slightly different note. Father of a good friend years ago passed out while cleaning barn with a tractor he had bought down in Tennessee. He had been getting a bad headache and feeling sick from the fumes. Luckily he had backed out of the barn and stopped before he passed out. When he came too did a little investigating and found the radiator filled with moonshine! At least that’s the story I was told. Made sense to me the guy used to run a lot of moonshine up from down there back in the day. Didn’t realize he made that run. 

• Haha 1

Two comments:

First, tasting does not involve chugging a quart of the stuff. A little drop on the tip of your finger, applied to the tip of your tongue. Even if it's methanol its just going to taste a little funny. You are not going to go blind from a single drop.

Second, I have never seen a blue beet. In my world beets are red/purple and so is their juice. (Gawd, the Internet is melting my mind, my first draft of that last sentence had "there" instead if "their." I swear I know the difference.)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

When he came too did a little investigating and found the radiator filled with moonshine!

Could he have "come close to passing out" AFTER finding the "radiator filled with moonshine"?

• Haha 2