Pto question

I have a question for other minds on here far smarter than mine. I was talking to a local shop mechanic that does work for me off and on that I can't or too LAZY to do myself. He was telling me that during the natural course of pto operation unnecessary wear is placed on them while shutting them down without a overrunning clutch on the implement.The only machines ever had with them were forage harvesters and small square balers. I run a 14' bushog and it will spin the pto some if I don't idle tractor down first.He was telling me that since the brakes are engaged with hyd pressure and come on when pressure is released. I know hyd pressure keeps clutch discs locked up and low pressure will cause slipping and burning up .I had pto issues too many times last several years and don't want unnecessary problems. Is a overrunning clutch put on this bushog worth it or am I worrying for nothing.Do big bushogs have them on now.This is a older but a Bushog brand cutter.

PS. I guess I should add these are all  66 and older series tractors. 

58 minutes ago, Jacka said:

I have a question for other minds on here far smarter than mine. I was talking to a local shop mechanic that does work for ne off and on that I can't or too LAZY to do myself. He was telling me that during the natural course of pto operation unnecessary wear is placed on them while shutting them down without a overrunning clutch on the implement.The only machines ever had with them were forage harvesters and small square balers. I run a 14' bushog and it will spin the pto some if I don't idle tractor down first.He was telling me that since the brakes are engaged with hyd pressure and come on when pressure is released. I know hyd pressure keeps clutch discs locked up and low pressure will cause slipping and burning up .I had pto issues too many times last several years and don't want unnecessary problems. Is a overrunning clutch put on this bushog worth it or am I worrying for nothing.Do big bushogs have them on now.This is a older but a Bushog brand cutter.

Any add on PTO overrunning clutch that I have seen were for low HP tractors and applications such as an 8N Ford.  I've seen add on slip clutches for higher HP jobs.  If such a clutch as you are inquiring about namely a high HP overrunning clutch were made today it would probably price out well over 100 dollars.  Have you done an online search?  Unless I did a LOT of mowing where the machine is constantly disengaged I would not worry about it.  Just don't shutoff while at high engine RPM and that should help with the PTO brake assembly.  

An online search shows for around 120 dollars but I don't know how long they would last.  

On non over running PTO implements I always throddle down before disengagment 

• Like 1

One of the first things we teach is throttle down before shutting the PTO, you figure some days with a 20 foot mowing paddocks that are normally a acre and you mowing those all day that's a lot of engage disengage, it takes longer to open and shut the gate go threw the starting up shutting down process then it does to cut the acre of grass, we have yet to burn a pto up from 986's to 5088's 

I don’t know that it’s a big a issue as he says.  I guess everyone gets an opinion and mine is it’s not that big of a deal.

• Like 1

I'm having memory problems but I do not remember ever pulling an IH pto for brakes. Always while down for something else. As others said throttle down before shutoff and don't worry.

Starting up is harder on clutches than shutting down is on brakes.

Brush hogging for guy that helps me do hay today. Weedy mess is as tall as the hood on the 1466.  Usually use 115hp, but I knew to bring more today. B1FE4B08-F281-4725-80EC-04E67A581DB3.thumb.jpeg.3de8ff9997b7800d5d8efddc190e4984.jpeg

I’m in third low with the ta pulled, at pto speed.  Newer 8’ brush hog brand mower with “300hp” gearboxes and it has a slip clutch only. 

17 hours ago, Jacka said:

I have a question for other minds on here far smarter than mine. I was talking to a local shop mechanic that does work for me off and on that I can't or too LAZY to do myself. He was telling me that during the natural course of pto operation unnecessary wear is placed on them while shutting them down without a overrunning clutch on the implement.The only machines ever had with them were forage harvesters and small square balers. I run a 14' bushog and it will spin the pto some if I don't idle tractor down first.He was telling me that since the brakes are engaged with hyd pressure and come on when pressure is released. I know hyd pressure keeps clutch discs locked up and low pressure will cause slipping and burning up .I had pto issues too many times last several years and don't want unnecessary problems. Is a overrunning clutch put on this bushog worth it or am I worrying for nothing.Do big bushogs have them on now.This is a older but a Bushog brand cutter.

66 and older, the PTO brake is spring applied, not hydraulic except for the 1566s which was the first wih a hydraulic PTO brake.
The hydraulic PTO brake did not appear until the tri stripe 86 series.

16 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

On non over running PTO implements I always throddle down before disengagment 

Yep.

15 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

I don’t know that it’s a big a issue as he says.  I guess everyone gets an opinion and mine is it’s not that big of a deal.

Agree.

15 hours ago, snoshoe said:

I'm having memory problems but I do not remember ever pulling an IH pto for brakes. Always while down for something else. As others said throttle down before shutoff and don't worry.

Starting up is harder on clutches than shutting down is on brakes.

Same experience here, of course, even if the brake is ineffective the unit will not get repaired until it will no longer pull a load.

I had a farmhand tub grinder years ago that had a neutral position on the gear box after i was done I'd kick in neutral and then I could shut the pto off at any speed

I’ve seen a lot of older Deere tractors with worn out pto brakes on them and owners that have just been dealing with it for years. It’s a much harder repair on them than the IH tractors of the same vintage. Some of the pto units have 10,000 hours on them and haven’t needed other work though.