and then there were 2

ny bill o

the big farm that harvests some of my alfalfa showed up Thursday to cut second cutting. First cutting was done with just the JD tractor and Pottinger mower; this time the Massey and mower showed up in addition to the JD. Massey cuts a little narrower swath than the mower on the JD, but all is on GPS, so lines were straight and properly spaced for each mower. Impressive!

981336997_2022-06-3011_55_24.thumb.jpg.0802d06ec02cc822bcf8a27e8d648402.jpg

1633346434_2022-06-3011_54_57.thumb.jpg.f4b851e5001c3f7347ad8a5a9b5f0b52.jpg

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

lot of coin there....but it seems like there has to be in farming nowdays

Those are cheap setups compared to what you could get to do the same job. 

I’m surprised to see the duals on the one.  No one around here mows with them on.  Best thing about those is you have a tractor to use when not mowing which is not the case with a self propelled mower.   Lots of farms are using those around here.  Some places use conditioners on them and some don’t .  

Windsor's I assume? Most of the big operations are running triple mowers . Choppers are way too fast not to 

2 minutes ago, bitty said:

Windsor's I assume? Most of the big operations are running triple mowers . Choppers are way too fast not to 

yup

The guy I had mowing for me before i bought a discbine had triple pottingers on a fendt.  His doesn't have conditioners.  I think he was narrower folded up then my 12ft mower is.  Very hard (dangerous) to move a 12ft center pull mower any distance around here.  Narrow roads and crazy drivers.

• Like 1

We have 60 to 70 acres that we small square and cut with a 313 new holland discbine, 13'. I would love to have a 30' triple cutter, not for the speed but the smaller cut. If I could be drying 10' cut instead of 13' it would help immensely, esp being 3 miles away from Lake Huron. Needing a tractor with front Pto and 3pt along with the cost of triple cutters that aren't all clapped out, just isn't cost effective for us yet. 

these mowers lay it out flat to wilt quickly, no conditioner. I'm impressed about how cleanly the mergers pick up even thin hay (second was light from lack of rain).