Fertilizer

Lazy WP

Been hauling 32% nitrogen from Sioux City to the twin cities this week. I don’t like going north east of my house nearly as much as I do going south. 
The place I loaded at has DEF and normally there’s 3 trucks waiting to load. 
I have come to the conclusion that Minnesota drivers have to be the most impatient people there are. That may not be totally true. For the most part if you hit your turn signal they give you room to move, but the concept of merging is totally foreign to them. 

I had a gal in a mini van think she could push me out of the way. Vehicles to my left so I could not move over, and climbing a hill loaded, I didn’t want to slow down. She wouldn’t speed up, and didn’t slow down until the end of the acceleration lane. Then yesterday I had a white Range Rover think that I had to allow him to crowd in front of me going through road construction. I didn’t, and him and his woman took lots of pictures of me and my truck. 

• Sad 3

Stay safe out there driver. I know you're frustrated but at the end of the day you're the professional out there, not the soccer mom whose only cargo they haul are their groceries and kids. 

I have more issues with fleet drivers pulling van trailers. I've been doing road work all week and hauling gravel on a busy state two lane to our job. Those trucks like to get right on my tail like they are trying to push me, so, I take more time as I make my turn off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Been hauling 32% nitrogen from Sioux City to the twin cities this week. I don’t like going north east of my house nearly as much as I do going south. 
I have come to the conclusion that Minnesota drivers have to be the most impatient people there are. That may not be totally true. For the most part if you hit your turn signal they give you room to move, but the concept of merging is totally foreign to them. 

I had a gal in a mini van think she could push me out of the way. Vehicles to my left so I could not move over, and climbing a hill loaded, I didn’t want to slow down. She wouldn’t speed up, and didn’t slow down until the end of the acceleration lane. Then yesterday I had a white Range Rover think that I had to allow him to crowd in front of me going through road construction. I didn’t, and him and his woman took lots of pictures of me and my truck. 

dont give them the satisfaction of entering your thoughts 1 moment after the act is committed against you.    I wish i could better remember all the times people went a bit out of their way to help me as much as i can vividly see the times they tried to screw me over.   Its difficult though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stay away from the 7 county metro and its not too bad here.  I worked there for over 7 years, and I'm really glad I made it out alive.  

Duluth also has some drivers that shouldn't be behind the wheel, but part of that has to do with the way the roads are designed.

Minnesota drivers have to be the most impatient people there are.

As a Minnesotan, and haul grain and fertilizer in the state, I agree!! Your just lucky you are coming and going, not stuck here!!! The 4 wheelers here are in the mindset of, me, me, me, more me now!!! 
I love the vehicle pulling out in front of you, just to take a left turn, with on coming traffic, now I’m fully stopped waiting for them! Or the vehicle riding my mud flaps, like he’s on fire to get somewhere, only to pass as I’m doing 5-10 over the speed limit, and then slow down to 5 under the speed limit, cause they just can’t sight see following a truck! 
Yes MN drivers are terrible!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not being a professional driver and living in MN, I seldom experiencing anything but, I just assumed it's like this everywhere.

As Mudfly mentioned, I would agree the problem drivers mainly come from the urban centers, where there is a strong entitlement attitude. 

But I also have to wonder about the people in charge.... When a divided 4 lane has a construction zone with a 2 lane diversion, forcing traffic to merge into single file, they put up signs telling people to use both lanes during backups and to take turns at the merge!... automatic traffic jam. How about expecting people to get in a line well ahead of the zone? 5-7 miles before the one lane, put up signs saying which lane is closed ahead, merge now.

I have the punishment for those who don't merge figured out... put up barrier about a mile before the single lane zone so anyone who didn't merge gets trapped in the closed lane, put a yield sign on the end... open lane traffic does not stop. If you weren't smart enough to merge when the signs told you to, you can sit in the penalty box until there's a pause in sign abating traffic. 

• Like 4

My younger Brother was hauling a fully permitted,  oversized load (Cat on a lowboy) and gave himself plenty of room for a right turn, SUV driver decided to take the turn room for a quick pass right. Brother said all he saw was an SUV over the free way embankment, rolling wheels-up, wheels-down, down the grade.  He didn't feel a thing in the rig.  Fortunately the SUV driver was not seriously injured.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, oleman said:

My younger Brother was hauling a fully permitted,  oversized load (Cat on a lowboy) and gave himself plenty of room for a right turn, SUV driver decided to take the turn room for a quick pass right. Brother said all he saw was an SUV over the free way embankment, rolling wheels-up, wheels-down, down the grade.  He didn't feel a thing in the rig.  Fortunately the SUV driver was not seriously injured.

That is right in cdl training not to move over on a right hand turn. The proper way is to encroach on opposite or oncoming lane in the turn. Or the button hook technique. I know it isn’t always practical or doable. They warn not to pull to the left to turn right or somebody will try to pass.

6 hours ago, dale560 said:

That is right in cdl training not to move over on a right hand turn. The proper way is to encroach on opposite or oncoming lane in the turn. Or the button hook technique. I know it isn’t always practical or doable. They warn not to pull to the left to turn right or somebody will try to pass.

Yup.  Looks good on paper in the classroom.  Not always possible in the real world. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

Yup.  Looks good on paper in the classroom.  Not always possible in the real world. 

That’s what I thought also. But if it comes down to a lawsuit you would probably be at fault because you left space on the right side for them to enter. Best to just rip the curbs and signs down and follow the law. Here are pics out of test manual. Just a added tidbit got a newly minted class a cdl license yesterday so I had to study this stuff.

4997A830-B66B-49CC-8192-F942E91CBC33.jpeg

F7178230-AECF-4401-AE37-F7382BB4C6B5.jpeg

D0F1A2CD-1EB9-40A1-8152-0102A228CB71.jpeg

CFACA291-D782-4A43-8F26-74B562A2F345.jpeg

17 minutes ago, dale560 said:

That’s what I thought also. But if it comes down to a lawsuit you would probably be at fault because you left space on the right side for them to enter. Best to just rip the curbs and signs down and follow the law.

Not saying your wrong, Dale.  But I did come through a small town today with a narrow street with cars parked on both sides.  No room to buttonhook, no option but to pull left to turn right.  

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

Not saying your wrong, Dale.  But I did come through a small town today with a narrow street with cars parked on both sides.  No room to buttonhook, no option but to pull left to turn right.  

I know its not practical or feasible in most cases. Just what the book tells you. I never want to drive truck professionally just needed a b license so I went and got it all done. Need to do the double triple endorsement yet then I have them all.

I would never have enough patience or sanity to drive OTR . There is a SERIOUS lack of understanding of physics in a high percentage of the SUV/car drivers all over the road. Pull out in front of big trucks, pass bad places follow on the bumper.

Biggest one that infuriates me is when they pass you on a two lane freeway and pull right in front of you and not another vehicle in sight for as far as the eye can see 

Pulling a set of 28' trains loaded a little ( wink, wink) too heavy and only a 425 Cat under the hood. Had 5 cars stacked up behind me climbing a hill and only rolling 50 to 55, could only see the last 2 cars. I wiggled the steering wheel a little and that pup started dancing enough to wake them up. Turns out no one had the cahoneys to pass me either, treat stupid like stupid

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bitty said:

I would never have enough patience or sanity to drive OTR . There is a SERIOUS lack of understanding of physics in a high percentage of the SUV/car drivers all over the road. Pull out in front of big trucks, pass bad places follow on the bumper.

Biggest one that infuriates me is when they pass you on a two lane freeway and pull right in front of you and not another vehicle in sight for as far as the eye can see 

I would never want to drive truck either but there has to be a little share the road also.  Being they are speaking of Minnesota every time we go down there. Always a lot of truck traffic on I 94 and always two trucks holding up a line of 20 cars. One truck going 66 and one going 67 mph so it takes about 5 miles for the faster truck to get by. It is always the same instead of one guy being courteous and slowing or both staying single file. They create a wad of traffic.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dale560 said:

two trucks holding up a line of 20 cars. One truck going 66 and one going 67 mph so it takes about 5 miles for the faster truck to get by.

Sounds like I-80 across Wyoming....Motor home trying to pass a semi, on a 12 mile long upgrade.......REAL aggravating when you are driving a Vette...........😠

Mike

11 hours ago, dale560 said:

I would never want to drive truck either but there has to be a little share the road also.  Being they are speaking of Minnesota every time we go down there. Always a lot of truck traffic on I 94 and always two trucks holding up a line of 20 cars. One truck going 66 and one going 67 mph so it takes about 5 miles for the faster truck to get by. It is always the same instead of one guy being courteous and slowing or both staying single file. They create a wad of traffic.

Just returned from vacation and I witnessed “semi races” like this a lot. I think they should either eliminate governors on fleet trucks or make all interstates 6 lanes and trucks must stay out of the left lane.

10 hours ago, mikem said:

Sounds like I-80 across Wyoming....Motor home trying to pass a semi, on a 12 mile long upgrade.......REAL aggravating when you are driving a Vette...........😠

Mike

Saw this a lot last year. Told my wife campers should be illegal on any grade more than 3%.😀

• Like 1

As Dale says all it would take was the slower truck to lift his foot for maybe 30 seconds and let the other guy around. Or trucks stay in line till road is open tho traffic is often too heavy for that in many places.  

The slow truck passing a slightly slower truck has led to where drivers dont want let trucks over for fear it will take 10 miles for one to get around  the other. Seen it happen more than once.

23 hours ago, dale560 said:

Makes a big difference in the turn that you make as to where the axles are. A 53 foot van, with the axles moved all the way forward turns a lot shorter than a 53 foot RGN, bullrack, or hopper with the axles clear to the rear. 
You have to remember who wrote the manual. It wasn’t someone who actually works for a living. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:59 PM, Lazy WP said:

I didn’t, and him and his woman took lots of pictures of me and my truck. 

....probably just checking those  load fixin' straps and the like, Nick.....:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 1

they need to put speed limiters on all vehicles, that would level the playing field since no would have an advantage.

no doubt it is coming with all the advances in technology, you car/truck wont be able to go faster than the posted speed.

and with V2V (vehicle to vehicle ) communication everyone will have to say in line 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Makes a big difference in the turn that you make as to where the axles are. A 53 foot van, with the axles moved all the way forward turns a lot shorter than a 53 foot RGN, bullrack, or hopper with the axles clear to the rear. 
You have to remember who wrote the manual. It wasn’t someone who actually works for a living. 

Yes I know that. I have put more than a few miles on a semi pulling trailers. All farm plated though never needed the cdl or wanted it. I still farm some also. Plus I had a career of fixing many trucks big to small. Just put that out there so what the law wants you to do is clear.  We used to test what you guys call bull haulers every year. When we loaded cattle they had to back in off township road. Right angle alley dock to the left side. This got them into farm driveway on opposite side was the mailbox. It could be done with ease by some with 53 ft big spread pots and long nose big sleeper Pete’s. It all was how they set truck up on road first. Once they got the turn negotiated they had to back up hill next to the barn to the loading chute. The hill was either greasy or icey snow covered in late March When we usually sold calves. Some drivers didn’t have a problem and the next guys really had to maneuver around. The final problem was approach had a big crown onto road. We always had driveway really clean and delineated. Tell drivers to really pull over and be careful. Watched many loads we thought were going to flop over

On 6/30/2022 at 11:10 AM, Cattech said:

I have the punishment for those who don't merge figured out... put up barrier about a mile before the single lane zone so anyone who didn't merge gets trapped in the closed lane, put a yield sign on the end... open lane traffic does not stop. If you weren't smart enough to merge when the signs told you to, you can sit in the penalty box until there's a pause in sign abating traffic. 

That penalty lane would fill up rather quickly in this state!!!!!!!! 

19 hours ago, Takn4aFool said:

they need to put speed limiters on all vehicles, that would level the playing field since no would have an advantage

I’ve been saying this for years!! Trucks don’t need to slow down, cars do!! Yes some trucks  could come off of 80 mph, but they don’t need to be castrated to 60! But the cars definitely need to be limited to 70, 75 at best!

• Like 1